Starting today,Telus Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) subscribers will have a new application installed on their set top boxes which will enable them to view their Facebook page on their television.
The new Facebook IPTV app, which can be activated through the Optik TV menu, lets users see status updates and pictures although it won't allow them to send messages or view Flash video.
The application was developed by ES3, a Toronto based software developer that specializes in building applications for IPTV providers using Microsoft Mediaroom.
The new app supports multiple accounts with users being required to create and use a 4 digit personal identification number to access their facebook page.
Digital Home readers who have used the app today have told us they have have not encountered any difficulties.
The following are the steps rquired for setting up Facebook on Telus TV
- Select Menu in your Interactive Programming Guide.
- Navigate to Applications and select Facebook.
- When the application appears on your screen, use your remote to select New user.
- Select Start now.
- Enter your email address that you use to login to your Facebook profile & confirm. An email will be sent to your email account and you must go your email to retrieve it.
- Go to your email account and open the email and follow the steps. Follow the link included in the email. You will be directed to your Facebook log on page. Log in as per usual. You will be prompted to create a 4 digit PIN.
- Enter a 4 digit PIN to start using Facebook on Optik TV. After you have set up your PIN, return to the TV application.
- Select Use now on the TV app to start using Facebook on Optik TV (or you can "Exit and use it later").
- Sign in – select account & enter 4 digit PIN and press OK.
Discuss the new Facebook application in Digital Home's Telus IPTV forum .