Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this must sound a bit trivial, but I'm curious about a time discrepancy. That is, my iPhone's time is generally 20 seconds behind actual time (relative to synchronized clocks). This is in contrast to my past Windows Mobile device that was always very accurate. From what I understand, my iPhone should be getting the correct time from Telus, but I have no idea how often, and if I reboot my iPhone (which presumably should force a time sync), it is still 20 sec behind. In this day&age, I suppose I'm more surprised than concerned. Is everyone elses' Telus phone 20 seconds behind?

After buying a docking station with it's own clock, which offers an ability for selecting any time zone in North America except Newfoundland, I suppose I also should expect some lack of synchronized time support for "The Rock"(?)

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
... not that anyone is especially interested ;)

My iPhone is now 35 seconds behind, and from what I can deduce, it's all Telus (because Apple only allows for your carrier to set the device's clock). One has to wonder how far away from actual time Telus will have to get before they realize everyone is showing up late :rolleyes:

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just as surprised -- in this day&age of numerous NTP servers, you have to work at being this inaccurate! My experience with Rogers is the same as yours, and I don't remember my old Telus CDMA clam being this inaccurate.

It's curious ... the similar posts at the Apple forum just happen to be about similar inaccuracies with AT&T, who happens to be Telus's southern partner. Replies to these topics leave me to believe it's the only way the iPhone can set it's internal clock. You can get NTP clock apps, but they can only let you know how inaccurate the iPhone clock is.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes me wonder if perhaps the fault is with the iPhone ...
I'm wondering the same thing after trying to make manual adjustments on my iP, and then switching back to automatic. IE, I ended up with a time that was 40 sec fast, instead of behind. That cannot be blamed on Telus! :confused:

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
... If you're *REALLY* worried about missing your bus, you can always buy your own cesium clock.
To add my own historical perspective ... it was ~2yrs ago that my Seiko Chrono finally kicked the bucket, and I decided to put the $$ towards a smart phone instead of another watch. The impetus was smart phones are almost as handy, plus the fact that any device that had potential for sync'ing with atomic clock servers would be much more accurate anyway, and a smart phone would offer much more functionality to boot.

Not that anyone is worried about missing the bus, but in this day&age any smart phone that is 2 seconds away from accurate time is indeed a mystery, and should be equally embarrassing to any cellular carrier or phone manufacturer responsible for maintaining the device's time.

Towards my own personal ends, I have installed an iPhone app created by Emerald-Sequoia that provides with me with all the accurate time and functionality I need. The time that is shows however, is NOT iPhone time ... and iOS4 provides no capability to sync with 3rd-party apps, which (IMHO) is just as stupid as it being so inaccurate in the first place.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
... Have you tried changing to 24hr clock? perhaps a rounding issue with the clock software, or just a calculation going off with it. ...
I'm beginning to believe it's the iPhone as well. However, if it were a rounding issue, my phone would never be off more than +/- 30 seconds. (a week ago it was +40sec, now it's +30sec). If it were a truncation issue, it would always be behind, whereas I'm currently ahead.

It's indeed a mystery in this day&age :)

Edit: I just checked my wife's Telus Moto clam, and it's time is coincident with mine! ... a coincidence??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.