Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all; I'm a current optik customer with the dlink - I called Telus last week (for a different issue, was changing some TV service) and asked about the new router, they said it was only for new customers and that it wasn't being deployed yet. Is there any way to bypass this? BTW I'm in Edmonton Area.

·
Registered
24 Posts
call customer care. ask for it. if they say no, tell them you will cancel otherwise. you will speak to loyalty and retention and they will help

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Tell them your existing router is rebooting all by itself, sometimes a few times a day. They will replace it, it is a 'known issue'.
Ha! Very helpful. :)

And other reason is that the old D-Link router does not bridge UPnP packets between the wired and wireless networks. A big problem for me with my PS3 being on wireless. However, couldn't even begin to get the Telus rep to understand that one. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
White Out said:
Tell them your existing router is rebooting all by itself, sometimes a few times a day. They will replace it, it is a 'known issue'.
Funny enough, my router actually does have this issue. It's not usually multiple times per day, it's more like once per day or every 2 days. Still really annoying though. I phoned tech support today (before reading this actually) and told them that I have this issue, and they're sending out a tech tomorrow to replace it with the actiontech. Pretty stoked to have Wireless N and gigabit ethernet :)

Is the issue with wireless/wired not talking with each other (as described by MarcP) fixed with the Actiontec? That'd be another huge bonus. I like having my PS3 connected via ethernet and it'd be nice not to have to copy stuff over to the PS3 HDD.

Also, does anyone know if this is a dual band router? Can both Wireless G and N be operational at the same time? Will N devices default to N connectivity? Almost all the devices in my house are N compatible.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Just to be clear, it's UPnP that isn't being passed between wired and wireless. Anything else seems to be fine. However, it's a very annoying issue. I have a few days off from work coming and I'll be calling Telus to have the router changed.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Also, does anyone know if this is a dual band router? Can both Wireless G and N be operational at the same time? Will N devices default to N connectivity? Almost all the devices in my house are N compatible.
Its not a 5Ghz Dual band router, just your 2.4Ghz 802.11n\g\b nothing else. Your device will pick the best speed automatically. The router runs in mixed mode by default. You can however change it to run a B G or N mode only or a combination of B+G and G+N.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interestingly, as I said, the D-link had the random reboot issue, and they sent out a tech to replace it... and all he had was D-Link routers. I was so disappointed haha, and sure enough the next morning, that router also rebooted by itself. I phoned and after about 25 minutes I was finally able to convince them to send out a real tech (the previous guy was an Internet-only tech, according to him). Got the Actiontec today. It was definitely worth the runaround Telus gave me (Tech department directed me to CSR who redirected me back, hence the 25 minute call).

The new router is quite fantastic. Streaming works between wifi and ethernet (from my laptop to my PS3) and with Wireless N on my laptop and full duplex gigabit ethernet on my PS3, there is absolutely no lag. Copied a 4.2 GB file from my laptop to my wife's new MacBook Pro (both Wireless N) and with each about 10 feet from the router, and it transferred in about 18 minutes. Not too shabby.

All in all, very satisfied :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
ActionTech on the way

The rebooting problem worked like a charm with telus tech. Can't wait to try out the faster transfer speeds! Will Hax twice ad fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts