Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just had his Optik TV installed and was told by the installer that Telus will be launching a movie service similar to Netflix. Has anyone else heard of this?

·
Banned
548 Posts
I agree with Hilman. I can't see TELUS launching a service to compete or undercut its own VOD service.

I imagine VOD was what the tech was speaking of. The ability to stream video from your PVR to a smartphone or laptop is a feature that can be implimented on MR 2.0, but I couldn't say if it will be implimented when TELUS goes to MR 2.0. I'm also unsure if the streaming from the PVR is for recorded programming or VOD as well. I guess we all get to wait and see.

Remember to check the TELUS newsletter that comes each month in e-mail to Optik customers. It lets customers know about new features and improvements that are being added to Optik all the time. I don`t know if this gets sent to people who don`t use TELUS e-mail.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
241 Posts
MR2.0 also has a "tv light" feature. I doubt Telus will implement it. It's intended for people outside the TV footprint. It's essentially a VOD-only service that can run over any connection speed, via buffering.

"Microsoft Unites Software and Cloud Services to Power New TV Experiences"

Also new with Mediaroom 2.0, service providers will now be able to offer their existing on-demand TV service to their entire broadband customer base using their existing set-top box inventory, thereby expanding their service footprint beyond the reach of their IPTV network. The same on-demand service can also be enjoyed on Windows 7-based PCs using Windows Media Center,* as well as on Xbox 360. Service providers also can offer subscribers access to their on-demand programming remotely using a range of Web browsers running on Windows-based PCs and Macs and, in the near future, on compatible smartphones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts