Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, just a general question before I get started installing an additional line to a 2nd telus 6131 box.

Is there any hardware other than coax and possibility a splitter (high quality, hopefully no need for more than 2 way splitter) that is need to add a box to my existing single install.

The existing install is just a single tuner, so I assume only one line coming from the satellite dish. Can folks give me a heads up on what to expect when I start tracing the coax back to the dish?

Thanks.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
16,872 Posts
I've moved your post from the Telus Optik TV thread to the Telus Satellite TV forum. Since your equipment is the same as Bell's, try looking at the Bell Satellite TV Hardware Installation Forum if you want to do it yourself.

You can't use a cable TV splitter with satellite TV.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Your installation most likely has an SW21 at the Dish, you will need to duplicate this for your second 6131.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about that Dr. Dave I just realised my error in posting as I came back to check... Ill go check the Bell threads as well.

Pinza: Best place to find an SW21?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The On-Line auction site or just ask a local Telus/Bell Installer.....lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a "3x4" multiswitch available at my local Home Depot.

Can I replace the SW21 currently installed with this thing and end up with the 4 connections plus an antenna connection (plus the splitter doodads to split the antenna/sat back out again)?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Not if you are installing an HD receiver, the 3x4 switch is for Single Satelitte reception only, it uses both feeds from ONE LNBF to give 4 outputs.

If you want 4 connections all with HD capability, you need an SW44.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks that's the gist i was getting from other threads but thank you for the definitive answer.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
No problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dish Pro Plus

They might have used a dish pro plus which means you would just run another line from the LNB. Do you have two independent LNB's or one huge one with two on it?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Installaing a DPP LNBF for a single 6131 receiver is not how it should be done but I guess you never know. The use of DPP Twins are limited to specific Installations by both bell & Telus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
new telus sat install

Hi everyone! Heres my situation as probably with many others. I was using FTA for BV and DN for single and multiple sat setups using diseq switches from 2x1, 4x2, 4x1, 4x4, 6x4. My plan is to sign up for telus sat in my house with 3 recievers and then set up a 4th reciever with its own dish/lnb in the loft above the garage seperate building. I wont worry about the house setup as the installer has to install that but i need to know the equipment i will need to setup the 2nd dish/lnb to a single 4th reciever. Does the current as of March 26/11 telus hd reciever able to be set manually to the type of lnb/switches being used or does it search automatically? I have tried searching for the telus reciever manual but its not very detailed on the settings. I have and can setup dishes to aim for 91/82 sats easy. I just need to know the right lnb/switches(if needed)/and telus hd reciever setting to set up my 4th reciever on a seperate building. I hope im making sense.

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Telus use all the same equipment as Bell TV, so the first installation, as you are having 3 receivers installed will be using std Legacy LNBF's and an SW44.

For the other location, I would suggest a DPP Twin LNBF and a DPP Separator, so you can run just one line, or you could go with 2 x Legacy LNBF's, 2 x SW21's and two lines to the 9241.

Diseq switch's cannot be used for Bell/Telus, as the firmware will not recognize them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
telus sat setup

i have lnbfs. so i would need 2 sw21? do you happen to know what reciever telus uses currently? does it have to have 2 lines going to the reciever? one from 82 and one from 91? if it did then do we still need the sw21?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Telus use the 9241 as the Dual Tuner Receiver.

It requires 2 lines, they are NOT one from each LNBF, the signals from each LNBF must be combined using SW21/SW44 or DPP LNBF's first.

I suggested SW21's as you already have Legacy LNBF's and they do not require any other power source and the fact you will only be running this 1 receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
telus 9241

Hi guys,so far i got the telus hd reciever is connected to 2 single lnbf. One line for the single lnbf (91w) to the sat A input of the hd reciever and the other line from the other single lnbf(82w) to the sat B input of the Hd reciever. The HD reciever then does a signal check and a switch check but seems to have trouble picking up all the channels. The reciever gives a warning that the currently scanned channels is less than the initial setup. the reciever seems to be preprogrammed to only work with DPP lnbf and not the single lnbf. Is that right? Is there a way to set the type of lnbf im using for the signal just like i could set it in FTA recievers? The system setup doesn't seem to allow me to set or make changes to the type of switchs or lnbfs that i use. It seems to only allow searches for preprogrammed hardware/switches/lnbfs. Can anyone with the same setup confirm how they have their system setup to work with 2 single lnbf. Thanks

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Not sure why you would want to go from DPP to Legacy but hey.

Firstly the 2 Inputs on the Receiver are NOT for 91 & 82, they are both for combined signals from BOTH LNBF's, when using Legacy.

So, from 91 LNBF you would run a line to an SW21, then run a line from 82 LNBF to the same SW21, resulting combined output goes to Input 1, repeat this for Input 2.

Remove BOTH cables from the rear of the 9241, run a Check Switch, it will fail, it has to but this will return the Receiver to a default state.

Now connect the 2 lines from the SW21's, run Check Switch, it should now report SW21's and that is it, done.

The 9241 outputs a higher voltage when using DPP LNBF's and it is possible that by connecting Legacy LNBF's to the receiver which is set up for DPP the Legacy LNBF's can be damaged, as they do not normally get such a voltage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
telus 9241

Thanks for the advice. The reason im using the legacy lnbf and not the dpp lnbf is that i already have quite a few legacy lnbf available. im in the process of getting the sw21s to have a more appropriate setup. the ideal would be to have dpp lnbf with the sw21s but im trying to use my old equipment from fta setup.

couple more questions, 1st is can i connect my legacy lnbf(91w) and legacy lnbf(82w) to a sw21 then run a single coax to a seperator(supplied by telus) then the separator connecting to the sat a and b input of the telus hd pvr?

The 2nd is i have a zinwell 6x8 multiswitch witch was great for fta. Only the first 4 input ports of the zinwell is useable as i understand. I am planning to connect the legacy lnbf(91w) and legacy lnbf(82w) to the first 4 ports, 2 coax from each 91/82 lnbf. i would then take the 1st output ports from the zinwell and connect it to the seperator then to the telus hd pvr sat a/b inputs. Will this work?

the zinwell 6x8 is powered.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
the ideal would be to have dpp lnbf with the sw21s
Will not work. After a DPP Twin LNBF you either attach BOTH lines to a switch, DPP33 or DPP44, ir use a DPP Separator in each line to feed a Dual Tuner Receiver.

1st is can i connect my legacy lnbf(91w) and legacy lnbf(82w) to a sw21 then run a single coax to a seperator(supplied by telus) then the separator connecting to the sat a and b input of the telus hd pvr?
No, after combining 91 & 82 with an SW21, (Legacy Equipment) that line cannot be split again.

Forget the 6x8 switch, none work for Bell/Telus. Even if it did work you could not split the line after the switch.

You cannot mix Legacy and DP/DPP.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Can't activate additional Telus Receivers on your own over the phone?????

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this...

We got Telus Satellite TV installed on Sept. 6th... Opted to get 2 receivers to start (PVR & a regular HD One). We knew we'd need more down the road, but installation was free with two or less receivers, so we figured we would just get two and add more ourselves later.

Saw a telus receiver for sale and bought it, saved big on it... Hooked it all up, called to activate it, only to be told by a telus rep. that the only way to activate it was to pay $100 to have their installer come out and do it. To which I said, that is pointless... why do we need an installer when it is already installed? The receiver is ready to go, just needs activation... but they said that only a licensed technician can activate additional receivers...

I've never heard something so stupid... Why should an installer have to come here just to call Telus and activate a receiver that is already installed and ready to go?? When we had Shaw Direct we could just buy additional receivers and call to activate them... Bell even has an option on their website to activate receivers... But with Telus you can't activate a receiver without an installer coming to your house? I don't want to pay $100 for an installer to make the same phone call I was trying to do myself.

I spent an hour on the phone last night with Telus Reps and that was all I could get out of them... Come on, just let me give you the Receiver numbers and activate the darn thing for me!! Really!!

Has anyone else bought a Telus Receiver and called to activate it with no troubles?? So frustrating!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts