Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Telus has announced the availability of Remote Recording for Optik TV customers.

Starting on Friday, August 6, customers can record, delete, and manage the content on their PVR, as well as view and search the interactive programming guide using any Web connection from any location, or while on the go via an application for the iPhone.

The Remote Recording application is available for download for free to all Optik TV customers with a PVR, at no additional charge to their monthly package.

Note: If you get an error code when you first try to set up remote recording, reboot your Set Top Boxes.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Company says Blackberry and Android apps are coming in the future but no date was given.

Nothing on the iTunes store yet either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Instructions to get remote recording to work

iPhone app is available on the app store now. I got it working and here are the steps you need to do to get it working

1. Restart all your set top boxes
2. Once restarted in the recordings menu you will see remote recording ( give it 10 seconds or so for the recordings menu to show up after the restart )
3. It will ask you for a pin which you will need to create in parental controls
4. Once you create you pin, go back to remote recordings put in your pin and you'll see a screen where you can create your account
5. Select create account and put in your email address
6. Wait for confirmation email from telus
7. Follow instructions in the confirmation email (at this point you can download the iPhone app or go through the web based application)

That should do it. The remote recording is amazing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I rebooted my PVR shortly after midnight and as expected the new option appeared in the menu. The web interface requires "silverlight" which may be an issue for some people.

Everything is as expected, you can browse the guide, view saved recordings, add or remove scheduled recordings. One nice detail is that the web guide is the same as on your PVR, e.g. any channels that you hid via the PVR's customization option don't show up on the web interface either.

-- Correction, the web guide seems to only show the channels you are subscribed to (?)

·
Registered
241 Posts
According to my material (which also said it was coming out Wednesday :) ) the remote guide will only show subscribed channels. I've matched my guide to my subscription, so I can't tell for sure which way it works without changing something.

-Telus Employee.

·
Registered
28 Posts
According to my material (which also said it was coming out Wednesday ) the remote guide will only show subscribed channels. I've matched my guide to my subscription, so I can't tell for sure which way it works without changing something.
Yeah, I realized that after I posted :)

What does the "settings" tab do, it's just blank for me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you using an iPhone or the web interface? The web interface lets you pick default search filters and another option to stay logged in. I'm downloading the ipod app now, so I haven't seen that one yet.

EDIT: iPod has the same settings.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Very nice so far. However, when I try to set a recording for a serie, I only get the "First Run and Reruns" option. There's no "First run only" like on the PVR.

Otherwise I like it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
So far, I think that's my only complaint. If I could make a list of favourites on the remote guide, that would be awesome. Because really, who wants to see all the SD channels if you have the HD equivalents?

I may never program to record via STB ever again since it's so fast and easy with the remote guide.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Looks amazing, would be nice to only show HD programming or have it come up first. Hopefully an Android app is not too far away, nice work TELUS :)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Using the iPhone app, I can actually see the recordings on my PVR and manage them. Much more convenient than using the remote. I agree, well done Telus!

Although I wish the grid listing on the iPhone could flip to landscape mode.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Need Option to Delete One Recording Only - Not Entire Series

Telus needs to change the delete recording options, when you delete one program in a series it cancels the entire series.

:(

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'm noticing on the web page tonight that a lot of shows have an original air date of "1 January 1" so some of my series recordings are not hitting tonight. One of them is "America's Got Talent" on channel 605. Tomorrow's show is scheduled properly, but not tonight's.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Now the site isn't working for me tonight. I get the spinning "Waiting" animation and it keeps on spinning forever.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Telus needs to change the delete recording options, when you delete one program in a series it cancels the entire series.

:(
Telus changed the delete recording options on the iPhone so you can delete just one program in a series, but they haven't fixed it on the website.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for this. Very easy to register. I love the fact that it is so much easier to search for programs on a keyboard now than punching in letters on your remote.

I'm downloading the app on my ipod touch right now as well. hope it's just as easy. thanks!!

**EDIT** playing around with app now. wow. it even just shows all of the channels i subscribed too as per my view on my stb (as opposed to every single channel). quite easier to scroll through than the guide on the ipod than the stb itself! this is great!!

1 - 20 of 136 Posts