Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

Thinking of switching from Shaw to OptikTV and taking advantage of their free PVR. Can any current users tell me how the telus PVR handles subtitles. Does it record them and play them back correctly, HD and SD.

Any comments appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Optik TV records and plays back closed captions (CC) on HD and SD channels. The font is nice and clear. CC can be turned on or off through the STB menus.

Like all other digital TV services, closed captions on SD can be displayed by your TV or the STB. HD closed captions can only be displayed by the STB.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Just to eliminate any confusion, the link that 57 provided refers to the old Minerva system, not Optik TV running Mediaroom.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Yes CC works on the PVR and when active will appear on the recorded content during playback.

Dr.Dave is exact and to the point

As mentioned above by 57, not all programs are CC'd. This made me grin when I read it as it took me nearly an hour to realise this during an install where CC was requested. I couldn't get it to work and finally when I was ready to give up I changed the channel and presto CC joy was found.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just another quick question, but I have read in other forums that CC may not display properly or at all if HDMI cables are used?

·
Registered
982 Posts
You will get the best results using the set top box to display captions. Some STBs do not pass the CC data to the TV.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As far as i can determine, it takes 20 (!) button presses to turn on cc and another 20 to turn it off. I like to turn it on briefly to catch some missed dialogue, and then shut it back off again -- it really should have a dedicated on/off button on the remote.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Its intended for the hearing impaired and therefore probably wasn't considered to be something that is readilly accessable, as the intended user wasn't considered likely to turn it on and off with any regularity. Its not readilly accesible on my TV either, its buried in a submenu there too.

If you miss something and you have a 430 just try hitting the 'replay' button on your remote and go back 7 seconds to hear it repeated. If you're watching late @ night and don't want to disturb others in the residence, you might try headphones. I use a pair of Sienhauser cordless for that and they're quite comfortable. That way I can 'turn it up' without waking the family and walk around without tearing the headphones from my forgetful head or worse yet yanking out the cord and having the volume blast out to wake the neighbours.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a few questions about Telus CC.

We have two TVs in our house both hooked up to Telus TV (no PVR). Our primary TV (Sony Bravia, LCD) seems to only get captioning from the box, the TV's internal device seemingly does nothing whereas our secondary TV (an older Sony Trinitron, CRT) is able to display captioning using the TV's internal CC device. Is this because of the connection (ie older RCA vs HDMI) or is there something wrong with the Bravia's CC function?

Also, has anyone had problems with the Telus CC cutting out and requiring a restart of the box to start up again?

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
@Party Time, TV CC only works for SD channels. The STB must be used for HD CC. Are you watching HD or SD on the Bravia?

CC isn't totally reliable. Sometimes it cuts out at the source or becomes garbled. That is not the fault of the STB or the TV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I have experience with garbled CC but this will cut out completely in long stretches through many programs which I know have CC and a hard reset seems to fix it which is what leads me to believe it is either the box or the Telus service.

We mostly watch SD channels on the Bravia and even for those the TV CC does not work. Is the captioning code (or signal or whatever) transmitted to the TV through the HDMI cable? This problem could be with the TV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts