Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
281 - 298 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Do you mean they removed auxiliary entirely from the remote? If it is there you have to hit the mode button twice to drop it down to aux then hit power. To power it back on you hit power then mode once, power again and it will do the tv and the optic box (make sure the mode flashes on Optic after hitting the mode button). There may be a newer remote than the one I got just over a year ago so it may have a remote now that has aux completely removed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah its the brand new remote, it has no aux or mode button. Yet the brochure had codes to use my avr, and they worked as far as volume, i just dont get how you can turn it on/off.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm visiting family who just switched to Telus. And the remote (slimline 2), talk about terrible. Why on earth release a remote in this day and age with no ability to change input channel? It's like they've gone backwards a few decades. Anyone know if an older remote would work with optik?

·
Super Moderator
18,260 Posts
The Optik TV Classic remote or Optik TV Slimline remote will also work with any Optik TV STB. See:

Program your Classic remote | Support | TELUS.com

You can also use a programmable Harmony remote (on sale now for about $50 at various stores), which allows you to select an "activity" like play a movie, which will turn off your current device, turn on your Blu-ray play, switch inputs on your on AVR and/or TV, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just google it and all will come up, hold option button til blinks twice ent tv code (which you will find on page) then two further steps L can't truthfully recall but very easy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Optik slimline 2 remote.

Hi newbie here, my old Shaw remote had a "Live" button anyone know if this Optik one has the same ?:nerd

·
Super Moderator
18,260 Posts
There isn't a "live" button on any of the Optik remotes. You can press fast-forward 4 times for the fastest speed if you have a lot to catch up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also switched from bell, cant believe we dont have a live button.

I had an issue with the slimline 2 trying to program a sharp tv, it turned it off but then it did not stick and did not respond.

The issue is it wants me to set the volume to 25 on the telus box before i can program it again, how do you accomplish that when its trying to set volume but on the tv to 25? I cant find a way to get it back to turn volume up or down on the digital box.

The slimline 2 has no mode button either...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got optik today and after setting it up the volume on the remote controlled my Samsung home theatre system which is the way I wanted it. Now it seems to have defaulted to controlling volume on the tv instead and I can't get it back. I programmed aux to the Samsung and even in that mode volume will control the tv's volume. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Multi TV's in Same Room, Remote Issues

So I have a multi tv setup in my Rec Room and the issue i am having is that Optik TV Remotes work for every box and can not be setup to just one box so when i do anything with the Guide, change channel, etc., it changes the channel for all 3 TV's. Does anyone have any ideas if there is a way to make just the one box work per remote, or if a 3d party remote can be programmed to work with just one specific box? Telus Support has been useless and I am beyond frustrated.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Most boxes work that way....

I have multiple Cable Boxes separated enough so I can use my hand to BLOCK the IR signals to the other. I also TRY to keep the two boxes so that one is ON and the other OFF so it doesn't respond to the IR Codes. [For infrequently used "Secondary" boxes, you COULD tape a piece of cardboard over the IR Sensor to BLOCK the signals.]

You could also use an IR Receiver driving an IR Blaster mounted so that it ONLY controls the "Secondary" box [BLOCK all other signals]. Mount the IR Receiver well away from the "Primary" Box so hopefully you can POINT the IR signals to control just one box at a time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Programming Optik 2 Remote

I have a 10 year old Denon Receiver (2809). I can program the remote so it will turn it on, but not off. The code for that Denon is not listed.

I could try all the codes but is there an easier way.

Is there a way to switch control to the receiver and just turn it off?

·
Super Moderator
56,826 Posts
If you have an AVR that has discrete codes for on/off, then you're out of luck with this type of remote. This also happens a lot with Yamaha equipment that often has discrete codes. Most equipment has a single code that sends the same (Power) signal for on/off, however, there are advantages to having a discrete code, like not getting out of synch with other equipment.

You may wish to give some consideration to a programmable remote like the Harmony. Perhaps someone here has other suggestions.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a Denon 2808C I think it is, and all I have to do is go to aux, hit power, and it turns it on and off. It was set up by the Telus Optic people so I am not sure of the codes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I probably can't post a link but telus has directions on their website.

The 2808 code is 7112

Program your remote

If you need to reprogram your remote, use the remote code tool to find the right code for your device. Once you have a code, proceed to step 1.

Alternatively use the user guide that came with your remote or use the download at the bottom of this page.

Stand 6-8 feet away from the TV and ensure there is a line of sight between the remote and the digital box
Ensure the digital box is on, and turn on the device you want to program the remote for. This could be your TV or an amplifier
Set the volume of the digital box to 25 by using the remote volume button before you program a TV or amplifier
Press and hold the Options button for 3 seconds, until the green LED next to the Optik power button on the remote control flashes twice
Enter the 4-digit code for the brand of your device generated from the Remote code tool. The LED light beside the TV power button will flash twice in red when a TV code is entered; and will flash twice in yellow when an amplifier code is entered. If this fails to work, use the Remote code tool to generate another code for your device brand and start again at step 1
Press and hold the TV power button until your TV switches off
As soon as your TV switches off, remove your finger from the TV power button and press OK to confirm. The red TV light will flash twice
Press the TV power button again to switch your TV back on
If you do not find a code that works for you try the following code: Press and hold the Options button for 3 seconds, until the green LED next to the Optik power button on the remote control flashes twice
Enter the code 0029 for TV and your remote will search for a code that may work.
Note: This may take up to 15 minutes. The TV or aux light will flash. Press okay and then the TV should be synced

For DVD and blue ray enter 0044
For Amplifiers enter 0079

Power sync your digital box and TV

You can set up your digital box and TV to turn on with 1 button press. Press and hold the Options button for 3 seconds, until the green LED on the remote control flashes twice
Enter code 0007 – the green LED will flash twice. The Optik power button will then turn on both your digital box and TV (and amplifier if programmed). To turn power sync off, enter code 0006 and the green LED will flash twice

Downloads

Slimline Remote 2 Additional Codes

(there is no code for Denon 2809)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Can Telus Optik Slimline Remote control Cambridge CXR-120?

Hi All,

I bought a new receiver - a Cambridge CXR-120 - which I use with my 5.1 setup. The Telus Optik "Slimline 2" remote that comes with the Optik (Arris) cable box is supposed to be programmable to control a wide variety of devices.

Reprogramming begins with restoring the remote to factory settings. (Telus instructions tell you to get the reset code, but never tell you to use it.) Done with no problems.

Next, I added back my Pioneer Elite Monitor because it had been set up before. Worked first time.

Finally, I tried to add my Cambridge CXR-120. Telus's instructions are a little weak, and they have 11 codes for the Cambridge which they say MAY work. None of them did.

Has anyone had any success programming the slimline 2 to control a Cambridge CXR receiver? How did you do it?

Thanks.

281 - 298 of 298 Posts