Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

261 - 280 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seal Shield Universal Remote

Hello,

We have been using the Telus Optik Remotes for our set up here.

We were also just given a couple of Seal Shield Waterproof / Dishwasher safe 'universal' remotes to test with the Optik system. We can find the Code for our Samsung TVs but I have no idea what the code for the STB itself might be?

Any guesses, or any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Ken

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a Denon AVR, and entering code 63 the slimline remote will only turn the AVR off. Is there some way to enter a 4 digit code on the slimline remote? I was able to do this on my previous Shaw remote, so hope that Telus would support this also.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Every universal remote is different, and will use different codes. You can't compare what you could enter with the Shaw remote to the Telus one.

You could try Code 79 (other) and see if it finds a working option.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No I was not suggesting using the Shaw codes in a Telus remote. Question is, there are Telus 4 digit codes for Denon, but it seems the slimline remote can't use them, only the two digit codes. So far I'm not liking the slimline remote at all, maybe Telus will swap for the old style programmable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's weird that the links to Denon AVR and Telus were later added to my posts.

EDIT: turns out links show only when logged out of DHC.

·
Registered
110 Posts
New TELUS Slimline 2 Remote!!

Has anyone received the new Telus Slimline 2 Remote? I have one coming as I complained about how bad the original Slimline Remote is, and that it doesn't take the standard 4 digit programming codes, and you cant see it in the dark, and it only works for three components, and it doesn't learn from other remotes. Apparently TELUS now has the "Slimline 2" that will save us from the POS that is the Slimline. Anyone used one yet?

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
nope, got my telus equipment a few weeks ago and have the slimline. It drives me crazy, turning on the box powers on/off the TV with it The thing is the cable box isn't the only device I use so quite often I want to turn the cable box on when the TV is already on, so it ends up turning off my tv.. ugh... My Shaw remote was old but it worked well (I loved how the Shaw remote could assign the volume buttons for any devices, so I could be using the cable box, but the volume buttons could be programmed to change the volume on my receiver).

·
Super Moderator
17,489 Posts
The thing is the cable box isn't the only device I use so quite often I want to turn the cable box on when the TV is already on, so it ends up turning off my tv.
Can you press the OK button to turn on the Telus box if your TV is already on?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Can you press the OK button to turn on the Telus box if your TV is already on?
Yup that works. You have to press it twice but it works (doesn't work for off, but the on thing was much more important).

Is there a way to force the volume buttons to control my reciever (Onkyo)? On my old shaw remote you could choose which device to control the volume with. Even if you had it on the cable box, the volume buttons would control the receiver. It was awesome as I don't use my TV speakers. The manual that came with the slimline remote was pretty thing and didn't explain alot :( I couldn't find anything in about reassigning the volume buttons.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Oh new remote? This one I have drives me nuts at night. No backlight etc. Can't see a damn thing :(

This remote has a light?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Got off the phone with Telus. They can't find anything about the remote being backlit or lighting up. :(

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
If you're going through the AVR via HDMI, make sure you've got the HDMI-CEC feature switched off, as this can sometimes make the AVR do things automatically that you may not want. This may have nothing to do with the remote itself, although the correct code for your specific AVR is necessary, as mentioned by Dr.Dave above. You may wish to consider a Harmony, or similar programmable remote. See point 4 of the following HDMI FAQ.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/71112-faq-hdmi-comments-issues.html

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks Dr. Dave that worked. Did that for both my boxes and their corresponding recievers. Between that the pressing ok (twice) to power up the box without it triggering on/off on my tv, things are working much better now. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone received the new Telus Slimline 2 Remote? I have one coming as I complained about how bad the original Slimline Remote is, and that it doesn't take the standard 4 digit programming codes, and you cant see it in the dark, and it only works for three components, and it doesn't learn from other remotes. Apparently TELUS now has the "Slimline 2" that will save us from the POS that is the Slimline. Anyone used one yet?
We got the slimline 2 remote today and it's pretty terrible. According to the technician it was designed with "older" customers in mind who found the old remote too "complicated"... I guess I'm too young to have a TV :(

I was handling the changes ok until I realized there is no longer a button to change the TV input.........what!?!?!? I've spoken with two tech support people now, the first just said "nope they got rid of that", the second tried to actually find out, but everything he tried did not work. Just wanted to switch the TV's input to my media box or our many game consoles.

I didn't think it could get worse, but it's Telus so I should have known better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just had optik hooked up today, i programmed it for my avr/amp it works controlling the volume but how does one turn it off or on? They removed aux...

261 - 280 of 298 Posts