Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 260 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Will an AT&T remote work?

Hello,

I was wondering, would an AT&T remote work on an optik box? I've lost one of my remotes and there's thousands of AT&T remotes on ebay for dirt cheap.

Cheers,
T.

·
Super Moderator
17,489 Posts
It should work since AT&T use the same hardware.

You can probably get a new remote from Telus for about the same price as a used one from eBay once you include shipping to Canada.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Telus sent me replacement remotes for no cost when my remotes were not working correctly. I can't see why this would be any different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I also love my Harmony but having a problem trying to get the telus Optik remote to work on it. very frustrating trying to find out what i am doing wrong thats how i found the page lol so if you have any idea's i would appreciate it. i have the optik receiver programed in but its the clicker that won't connect to the harmony and we have the newest Harmony I would of preferred the older one but lost the little eye in the June floods

·
Registered
22 Posts
Right now the optik slimline remote is controlling the tv volume which is disabled. I would like to know if the remote can control the audio out 1 or audio out 2 rca jacks or are they at a fixed volume output. I've read the manuals but no clear steps to turn off the TV volume connection.

·
Super Moderator
17,489 Posts
JohnnyVic, there may be a couple of solutions.

1) If you are connecting the audio to an external receiver that has a remote, you might be able to program that device as AUX - see post 1 for the manual.

2) If that's not suitable, you can have the remote control the volume on the Telus box, which is the default. The downside is that you won't be able to turn the TV on or off with the Telus remote. Both audio out 1 & 2 are the same volume.

To reset your slimline remote, press options for a minimum of 3 seconds, the mode light will flash twice. Enter the code 1000; the mode light will flash twice.

Don't program your TV code.

The volume button will now control the Telus box and you will see the volume number in the top right corner of the screen to a max of 25.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks, Dr Dave, the 1000 code worked but not being able to turn on the TV makes that solution a no go. The sound bar is Auvio so I don't have any codes for Aux.

Does the Telus Slimline remote have a generic name that could be used for searching codes on the internet?

Do you know the procedure for using the "other" code 79?

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
17,489 Posts
JohnnyVic, I don't have a slimline remote, but it sounds like you would key in 79 and keep the remote pointed at the sound bar for 15 minutes while it does the code search. Your sound bar probably isn't supported, but I've customized the standard instructions for you to try anyway.

Program the Aux button for "Other"

1 Press the mode button until the yellow AUX light on your remote flashes.
2 Press and hold the Mode button for 3 seconds, until the AUX light flashes twice.
3 Enter the code 79 for other devices.
4 The light will flash twice.
5 Press and hold the Power button. When your device turns off, release the button. Entering the code for "Other" will search for all other brands and may take up to 15 minutes.
6 Press OK. The yellow AUX light will flash twice.
7 Press the Power button again to turn on your device.
8 Press the mode button until the green OPTIK light is lit at the top of your remote

Does the Telus Slimline remote have a generic name that could be used for searching codes on the internet?
I took a look at that quite a while ago, but the company that manufactures the remote seems to use different codes for the different remotes they make, so there is no "universal" code list.

...not being able to turn on the TV makes that solution a no go.
If it turns out you can't control the sound bar with the remote, you may end up with the choice of using the Telus remote to control the volume OR the TV. Once you turn the TV on, you are more likely to adjust the volume several time during a viewing session - that's why I recommended the reset.

I would recommend buying a Harmony remote if you want a truly universal remote. They control around 5000 devices and are continuously adding codes. You can check if your sound bar is supported.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am having a problem programming the slim remote with my Yamaha receiver rx-v659. I used the 61 code and it turns the receiver off but it doesn't turn it back on. I also did the auto search and same result. Once it turns off, i press ok but neither method turns it back on. Any ideas? Thanks

Can someone explain how to continue cycling to the next code? ex. hold power button down, unit turns off but not back on, how do i continue searching the codes?

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Many Yamaha AVRs have a discrete code for off and on, therefore you will never get a remote like this to work because it only sends a "power" toggle signal, not on or off. You will need to get a programmable remote like a Harmony or similar to send discrete codes to the AVR.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you, now is there some way to make the "mute" button and "inputs" button work for my hitachi tv. I got the power and volume to work

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
If the volume works, the mute should too - it's strange if it doesn't. All I can say is try the different codes until you have as much working as possible, or get yourself a Harmony or similar.

Why are you not using the volume/mute for the AVR?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am just trying to run the tv and pvr box with the slimline remote. Can you explain how to continue searching the codes with the slimline remote when using the "other" code?

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
This thread really needs to be divided up into 2 categories :slimline and old remote. Too many different conversations and answers here...I was not able to use a four digit code with the slimline remote. I was able to identify the four digit code with it though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have two tv set up right beside eachother both with seperate telus pvr boxes is there any way i can lock 1 remote to box 1 and lock remote 2 to box 2

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Remote not backlit?

I've been using the newer remote for the pass couple of weeks and disappointed it's not backlit. Very,annoying .

Or does it have lighting somewhere?

241 - 260 of 298 Posts