Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
201 - 220 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yah, On my plan I think Essentials is now $33 (It was $30 and I think it went up by $3). I get a $5 discount for having it bundled with internet. I save $5 on the bundle (internet discount) and $15 (unlimited discount) for a total of $20. Making the difference between having essentials and not having essentials about $13. I do have the sports addon which is $14, so if I went internet only I'd only save $27 a month. At this point I'm willing to pay the $27 for TV services/Sports.

It's clever how Telus integrates their services to make you buy multiple ones. Shaw abandoned bundle discounts years ago so it's really easy to only get 1 service from them.

edit: If you have your cell phone with Telus, can you get the internet discounts, without needing cable?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yes you can get an additional $5 bundle discount for bundling Telus Cell Service. It shows up on your home service bill, not the Cell bill. Presumably you can have Cell and any one other Telus service for two $5 bundle discounts but I am not absolutely certain.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Misleading ad?

Am I the only who finds the Telus ad campaign using the tag "Pay for the channels you actually want with Optik TV®" to be seriously misleading if not outright false?

To me that says I should be able to get full pick and pay.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
That's not what is says. Sheesh.
It says "Pay for the channels you actually want with Optik TV® theme packs." You forgot a bit. LOL

·
Registered
761 Posts
That's not what is says. Sheesh.
It says "Pay for the channels you actually want with Optik TV® theme packs." You forgot a bit. LOL
Yeah that's what it says, and it's misleading. I got that stupid thing in the mail. What a freaking joke! I can't actually pay for the channels I actually want, now can I?:confused:

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
@Canucks4life In December but don't expect your cable bill to be way cheaper. Right now cable companies must have either Pick and Pay OR smaller theme packs. Pretty much all of them have the smaller theme packs.
@Wheelman It is just typical marketing. True pick and pay will be in December and don't expect your bill to be lower. Right now cable companies must have either Pick and Pay OR smaller theme packs. Pretty much all of them have the smaller theme packs.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The current P&P price that Telus/Bell charge right now is $4 per channel. Knowing Bell I doubt that $4 price point will drop when full P&P comes in December.
$25 for basic plus 10 P&P channels would be $65/month. No bargain. You will be wishing you took a package.

·
Registered
309 Posts
With or without the words "theme packs", I am still paying for channels I don't want. Even at a $4 price point for P&P I still save $3 for every theme pack I have to buy now to get one channel I want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cancel only TV part of contract?

So I'm on the tail end of a 1st year of a 3 year contract. I currently get the first year 50% off but years 2 and 3 are full price.

I only have internet and tv. I think basic TV and internet 100. We also have 3 free set top boxes for the tv's.

Internet is great but we are finding we are not watching TV at all anymore ( Netflix, Shomi etc taking over!).

What are my options for cancelling just the TV part of the contract? I'm guessing it might be costly :(

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
The minimum penalty will likely be paying the extra 50% for the first year and returning the boxes. You may gain some leverage due to the retention of internet service. Get a competing offer for the internet and say you want to cancel them both. Then negotiate them down on penalties for cancelling the TV and price for the internet.

·
Super Moderator
18,239 Posts
If you cancel the TV portion, you will have to pay $10/month for the balance of the contract ($10x24=$240).

If you received a free TV, you will also have to pay the balance of that as well (e.g. $600x 24/36=$400)

Click Show conditions 1 - 10 on this page: Deals & Bundles

There is also a link to TELUS Home Services agreement

You will also lose your bundle discount if you switch to internet-only.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I read someone said that there is no contract for the internet. The contract is only on Optik TV. This is the reason that I did not want the free stuff from Telus when I switched my service to Telus.

If you cancel now, you have to pay $240. You got 50% off for the first year. If you spread the cost($240) over 1 year period, your actual cost for the first year service is (50% + $20) per month. If your monthly payment is $50 now, your real cost for the first year is $70 if you cancel after one year. I have read a post that a person put away $20 every month for the first year just to pay the penalty after 1 year. You are still coming out okay.

With only internet 100 service, your internet cost will be higher as you do not have multi-service discount.

Do a calculation on with and without cancellation. You will know which is cheaper and how much.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi, I'm posting here again because there doesn't seem to be a discussion group dedicated to receivers and installation for Telus. Anyway, Telus is installing Fiber in my neighbourhood this month so it's time to take the leap and sign on. Just purchased two 7100 from London Drugs for $40 a piece and I was thinking of purchasing a couple of the 7150s for $100. Does anyone know if you can have more than one 7150s on one account? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,239 Posts
There is a limit of one PVR per account for technical reasons.

At one time Telus could make a PVR look like a regular STB (it couldn't record), but I don't know if they still do that.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Is Cartoon Network part of Essentials or not? I have Essentials and get the channel, but the telus website says it's not part of Essentials

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,239 Posts
Shaw Cable has officially had Cartoon Network in free preview since September, with no announced end date. Maybe Telus is doing the same thing (unofficially)?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yep, Telus website originally had it going to December 31, but now there's no mention of it in the free preview list. You can pretty much expect it to be in "free preview" indefinitely.

201 - 220 of 253 Posts