Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Telus Optik TV and if there is a way to watch TV with Picture-in-Picture (PIP) I have not found it. I'm a bit annoyed as televisions have had PIP viewing for probably 20 years, but Telus seems to have dropped this very useful feature.

Now, before you think I'm mistaken- I'm well aware that you can "browse" through the available channels while watching another by pressing the up/down arrows. This is what I would call a PREVIEW, it IS NOT Picture-in-Picture TV! First of all, it covers about a third of the screen and blackens the contrast on the first show making it very difficult to see. Second, the PIP view disappears within a few seconds, so even if you could overcome the annoyance of trying to watch it, you'd have to keep pressing the button every 5 seconds.

This is not PIP. PIP lets you watch two shows at once! You turn it on and the PIP window appears in the bottom left (good TV's let you reposition it) and you watch the primary show while "keeping an eye" on the game in the PIP window.

Does anyone know of a way to make this work on Optik??? If not, how do we get Telus to fix it?

·
Banned
548 Posts
PIP was rendered forever redundant by PVR.
(just my opinion)

There is currently no way to get PIP with Optik. The STB can record multiple feeds, but can only output one at a time, with the exception of 'browse'.
(fact)

There might be something in the future that will address this, but if there was I might not be able to mention it. ;)
(rumour)

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
179 Posts
The ATT Uverse implementation of Mediaroom has multiview, which is PIP. It would be great if Telus eventually implemented this. In our family room I share the tv with a 4 year old. It would be nice to have a hockey game up in the corner during Mickey Mouse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Wiremonkey! I appreciate your reply.

Seems like it should be easy for Telus' programmers to implement because it's already happening with the PIP channel preview.

Am I the only one that would like to watch two shows at once?!?!
:confused:

·
Super Moderator
17,047 Posts
Mediaroom has a feature called Multiview that providers can use to provide PIP. MTS TV in Manitoba has written a very flexible app that allows a user to view 3, 4 or 5 channels of their choosing on the right side of the screen or to set up a channel mosaic that allows them to view a main channel with a PIP in any corner. The user can scroll through the selected channels in the PIP while continuing to watch the main channel and can change to the PIP channel.

The app is very flexible and I thought it would be great for watching multiple feeds. In reality, I almost never use it. As Wiremonkey said, it's easier to just record the channels you want. I sometimes watch a bit of recorded video from one channel and a bit from a another - especially for things like breaking news or the recent election results.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Please note,
"there might be something in the future that will address this, but if there was I might not be able to mention it."

Multiview you say? ;)

- another TELUS tech

·
Super Moderator
17,047 Posts
Hopefully, Telus will look at the way MTS developed the "My Picks" app to use Multiview, it's much more flexible that AT&T (although I haven't checked AT&T lately to see if they've improved since).

Here are more examples

1 - 10 of 10 Posts