Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We signed up for Telus Optik, and everything seems great ... PVR, laptops, etc working well BUT we have been using 2 CRT TV's. We are likely purchasing two HD TV's and would like to ensure my speed etc is great but wonder if someone can point me to threads that explain the basics. I am a tech person but don't grasp (yet) the basics about speedtest . net, pings etc.

Thanks,
DC

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Speed Test Interpretation

Under streams: 1SD/3 HD (WAN); 1SD/3HD (Dev). Speedtest says: Download 14.29 M b/s ; Upload 1.04 M b/s ; PING 23 ms .

Not sure what this means for my setup.

Thanks,
DC

·
Registered
241 Posts
On that profile, your sync rate will be about 30 megs. You subtract about 5.5megs for each live HD stream and/or 2.25 megs for each SD feed.

So when you have 2 TVs on HD channels, you start with 30 megs, and subtract 5.5 x 2, and you'll have 19 megs leftover. Since this is still above your internet speed cap, you won't have any speed difference.

If you have both TVs on watching HD, and if you are also recording one different HD channel and one SD channel, then you start with 30, and subtract 5.5x3 and 1x2.25. Your leftover speed will be about 11. So you will notice your speedtest results will be slower but probably not noticeable for surfing.

You can check all this now without HD TVs. Just record 2HD shows, tune one box to another HD channel and the other box to an SD channel. This will be a simulation of your wost case. Run a speedtest and see what the results are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts