Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I now have the Telus Optik Turbo high speed internet. I am now getting consistent speeds between 23 and 24Mbps here in Prince George.

Optik High Speed Turbo:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/M_in_Canada/screen-capture-5.png

versus Optik High Speed:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/M_in_Canada/screen-capture.png

Interestingly, my speeds recording 3HD and watching one SD do not differ all that much when comparing the Optik High Speed versus the Turbo:

Turbo:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/M_in_Canada/screen-capture-1-1.png

Optik High Speed:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/M_in_Canada/screen-capture-4.png

These were speeds optained using my laptop and connecting via WiFi.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have regular Telus High Speed Turbo, I get 12-14 mbps down and 0.79 up.

I want the 2 mbps upload speed bad. It would make my Slingbox actually usable.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Upgraded from Turbo 15 to Turbo 25, very nice upgrade, you litterally get twice the bandwidth, I topped out at 2.7MB\s in utorrent, downloading some 10GB in an hour.

·
Registered
34 Posts
nah just vdsl, telus messed up with my original profile and i could actually get 31/3 for my internet. when i had problems with my tv, they set my profile properly to 25/2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need advise...

I have upgraded my ADSL to Telus High Speed Turbo (last fall), my speed test on my wireless-laptop is 7.64 and .62
I live on border line of 2 central office (Alpine & Hemlock), I was told by Support that this is normal reading for wireless, but my computer seems slow, is this speed acceptable!?

·
Registered
34 Posts
the only way to tell if it's acceptable is to plug an ethernet cord into your laptop and try the speedtest again...
Even if it's not better, it's up to 15mbps not guaranteed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have telus fiber to the home, and have the 15MB plan, and constantly download from utorrent at around 1.6mb/sec. Plus i have no slowdown from the hd feeds since im fiber. I record multiple shows at once, and have utorrent downloading steady at the same time.

love it so far, jush wish my new xbox would arrive.

·
Registered
980 Posts
switched from standalone turbo 25 to optik 25, little bit of a improvement...

·
Registered
48 Posts

Optik High Speed, with new Actiontec (<3) router. Was pretty similar to what I got when I had the d-link as well.

Called Telus to find out a) if Optik turbo was available and b) what it would cost, and I was told that no it's not currently available, and that if it were to be made available it would increase my Internet from $10 -> $52/month. LOL

·
Registered
38 Posts
parrelium said:
nah just vdsl, telus messed up with my original profile and i could actually get 31/3 for my internet. when i had problems with my tv, they set my profile properly to 25/2.
Same thing happened to me for a while during the upgrade to Optik Turbo. It was nice while it lasted, but now we are down to the usual 24/2, which is still nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where's my high speed?

I just got Optik TV and Optik Internet today and noticed I was having problem loading a SD youtube clip so I did a speedtest:

Should I give Telus a call?

·
Banned
548 Posts
I would. Seems like your provisioning is set wrong. Is the TV working fine?

Unless you're on a 1HD/2SD profile and there was another PC or game console somewhere else in your house hogging bandwidth at the same time you should never get this low on your internet connection speed. It is possible though if somewone else in your home is utilising a lot of bandwidth at the same time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hey I think im getting QoS'ed to crappy speeds

upload should be 2.5 mbps correct? im getting softcapped at 1.7
and download speed is not 25mbps
I'm getting 2.5 mbytes/sec but 25mbps = around 3 mbytes/sec

so I think I'm getting QoS'ed on dl speed as well?

I tried calling but the CSR just lied to me and said that there are some "factors" that limit my upload speed and wouldn't connect me to the people higher upthat could fix my problem

she even said my download speed was supposed to be going up to only 2.0 mbytes/sec ...straight up liar....

·
Banned
548 Posts
You will almost never get 25 mbps on a speed test. There is anywhere up to 10% loss due to routing. I have a 15 mbps connection and get 14.38 down and 1.1 up on BBR. That is well within the acceptable standard for a 15 mbps connection.

The figures you've posted are within the standards for Turbo.

·
Super Moderator
17,519 Posts
@WontonNoodle, have you tried any real-world upload tests? I upload to Google docs and get my full upload bandwidth when I measure it with Windows task manager (I'm with MTS). Speedtest isn't as accurate since it uses a very short test.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts