Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up with Telus and have an Actiontec router hooked up to my PC upstairs and a Telus Cisco PVR and WD TV live downstairs. I connected the WD TV Live to the PVR via the ethernet jack and I'm getting internet (youtube works) but I can't view network shares on the WD TV from the PC upstairs.

It was working when I was using the Shaw modem but not with the Telus Router and PVR.

Any ideas what the settings should be on the Telus Router, PVR or WD TV live?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
If you are plugging it into the Ethernet port on the PVR, that probably won't work. You'll need to plug the WDTV into one of the Ethernet ports on the router.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wiremonkey, I plugged the WD TV directly into the ethernet port on the PVR. I can get internet on the WD TV but it doesn't see my PC network shares.

Unfortunately my Telus Cisco router is located in a different room then the PVR & WD TV. I also don't have a gigabit switch to test.

Is there some sort of firewall on the router that blocks the WD TV from seeing network shares on my PC?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a WDTV as well, but why are you hooking it up to the ethernet port on the PVR? I dont see this working well. I can see all network shares and media servers on my WDTV no problem. And you dont NEED an gigabit switch to test, try out a regular switch to see if that fixes it first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lincoln,

I also have a WD Live with my Cisco PVR. But my connection to Actiontec is only via Ethernet/Cat port. Thus, I have a 100MB simple switch (not a router) before the Cisco PVR and WD Live. I can only assume you can get an IP address assigned (by auto network setup via WD Live) but my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and both Gateway and DNS is 192.168.1.254 which is the address of the Actiontec.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Lincoln,

There should never be anything plugged into the ethernet jack on the back of the STB, that jack is intended only to connect the STB to the Actiontec by CAT5.

If the STB is connected by HPNA or coax, then that connection is not used , it is not intended as an internet access point beyond the STB.

This is not supported.

If you connect through this jack you are backfeeding IP traffic through your STB. This will defeat the QoS, and if done on your PVR can play hell with your whole OptikTV, since it's the hub of your TV service.

You are defeating the QoS on your Optik service and this can lead to PQ issues or strange behaviour from your PVR.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got an identical setup, except I've got the DLink 3810 router instead of the ActionTec router. I'm using HPNA to connect my PVR and STB to the router, and then daisy-chaining a WD TV Live Hub to the PVR, and a WD TV Live Plus to the STB through the RJ45 ports.

Mine works. I can see the network share on the WD TV Live Hub from all the computers in the workgroup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My PVR is connected via coax not ethernet

telephone line --> Actiontec modem --> coax --> Cisco PVR --> cat5 --> WD TV?

or do I need to do this ...

telephone line --> Actiontec modem --> coax --> Cisco PVR --> cat5 --> router/switch --> WD TV?

I tried both senarios and can't seem to get network shares working but in both cases I got youtube running on the WD TV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the WD TV Network Setup I get ...

IP Address 192.168.1.xx
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway and DNS 192.168.1.254

still network shares does not work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should be connecting the WDTV to the Actiontec directly, or if thats not possible do this.

Actiontec -> Coax -> Switch -> Cat5 to PVR AND Cat 5 to WDTV. Don't connect the WDTV to the PVR directly. Listen to Wiremonkey up there, he told you this already...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My setup is like this:
Laptop --> wifi --> Belkin Router (F5D8236) --> cat5 --> Dlink 3810 --> coax --> PVR --> cat5 --> WD TV Live Hub

Like I said, it works fine for me. This alternate setup also works, except for UPnP/autodiscovery:
Laptop --> wifi --> Dlink 3810 --> coax --> PVR --> cat5 --> WD TV Live Hub

Is the WD TV Live in the same Windows Workgroup as your PC? Is sharing on the WD TV turned on? Is it password protected?

You can try plugging the WD TV directly into the router through cat5 to see if it makes a difference, but I suspect its a firewall issue or a configuration issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a WD TV Live Plus too. I just tried connecting an external hard drive to it, and I can see the share on it from my laptop. The setup is like this:

Laptop --> wifi --> Belkin Router (F5D8236) --> cat5 --> Dlink 3810 --> coax --> STB --> cat5 --> WD TV Live Plus

Workgroup Name: WORKGROUP
Sharing: On
Username/Password: Off

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hooked my WD TV directly to the Actiontec router and still it cannot see the network shares ... must be something in the router settings?

I have both the PC and WD TV connected to the router to test but still no network shares detected.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You're not alone. :(

Its the WD TV Live.

I spend weeks trying to get my WD TV Live to see network shares. In the end I'm not sure what i really did to resolve the issue. Someone suggested it was Game for Windows Live software causing the issues, but I'm not sure how GFWL could block the WD from seeing network shares

The Western Digital forums has a lot of information.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Odd, I have the same setup, Actiontec, WDTV, etc and I have zero problems with network shares. Everything was pretty much plug and play. My Dlink NAS was recognized, same with every PC network share in the house.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to clarify, it is the the Windows computer that can't see the shares on the WD TV. (not the other way around) -- correct?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts