Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now through Sunday, get a free Xbox 360 from Telus when you buy or renew a 3yr contract on a Windows Phone 7 Device.

Details on their home page.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I assume the free Xbox 360 is a a freebie by MS to juice Windows Phones, probably doesn't cost Telus a dime.

Since a smartphone would likely cost you about $3,000 plus taxes on a 36 month term, a $200 Xbox is not a huge incentive.

·
Super Moderator
17,259 Posts
I read that in BC, Alberta and Quebec you will get the 250 GB model (valued at $300), presumably because you can also use it as a STB with their IPTV service.

I noticed that telusmobility says "only at Telus". I wouldn't be surprised if Telus is picking up at least part of the price on the Xbox, since they also offer a free 250 GB Xbox with a 2 year internet contract, which has no connection to Microsoft.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Telus also offers two Windows Phone 7s, as opposed to only one each on Bell and Rogers, so they may just have a better relationship with Microsoft. Between that and them being one of the first Media Room providers it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft just gave them a truckload or two of 360s to give away as promos.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Even if Telus paid MS a discounted $50 or $100 per unit (which I doubt), it's still a cheap gimmick to get someone to sign up for a 3-year deal.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Cheap gimmicks work, sadly. Look at all the "free" phones that entice people into three year contracts on mediocre devices.

If nothing else it will likely push over a few people who want a WP7 and haven't picked a carrier, or who want a Telus smartphone and haven't picked which one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read that in BC, Alberta and Quebec you will get the 250 GB model (valued at $300), presumably because you can also use it as a STB with their IPTV service.

I noticed that telusmobility says "only at Telus". I wouldn't be surprised if Telus is picking up at least part of the price on the Xbox, since they also offer a free 250 GB Xbox with a 2 year internet contract, which has no connection to Microsoft.
You are right for the hard drive size. When I view the promo page and select Ontario as my province, it says the 4GB is valued at $199, but when I clear cookies and select BC as my province, it says 250GB is valued at $299. Not fair - BC already has better mountains and beaches than us, but now they get a better Xbox deal too!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Promo extedned to Dec 24th.

I renewed on the weekend. Ask at the store level as they can also take off $75 from the phone, so I paid $25 instead of $100.

Phone is pretty sweet. Especially if you are big into facebook or xbox.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone received comfirmation from Telus as to when they will be receiving their XBOX or at least that they will be receiving one? I went for this deal during it's original dates (Dec. 15-19) and still haven't received any word from Telus.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I got a notification on the 24th (bought the phone on the 16th)

---------------------------
Order confirmation
We have confirmed that have activated a new Windows Phone 7 device and that you are eligible for a free X-Box 360.
Reference Number: XXXXXXXXX
You will receive a second email once your X-Box order has been shipped containing courier tracking information. It may take up to 3 weeks for you to receive shipping confirmation.
All others promotional offers you may be eligible for will be confirmed separately.
Thank you from TELUS
-------------------------------

My billing cycle is the 17th, so you may have to wait until your next billing cycle starts to confirm the activation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmmm...that's odd. My billing cycle is the 26th, so I am well into my next billing cycle. I guess I have to call in to see what is going on.

Thanks for replying ratovan

·
Registered
5 Posts
I received the activation email on December 24th, but haven't heard anything since and the 3 week shipping period was up last week. Has anyone received a shipping confirmation yet?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mine shipped from Vancouver last week (on the 11th) and was in Montreal for delivery today :) (sent via Canadapost)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ratovan, how long did it take for you to get your shipping notice?
I got the phone on the 16 dec, received a confirmation on the 24th and got a shipping notice on the 11th jan. didn't get it today, probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those are my exact dates as well...except I haven't received anything regarding shipping. Hopefully soon.

Enjoy your Xbox Ratovan!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts