Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Announced last week:

Under the new program, customers who wish to upgrade to a new device before the end of their term will be able to pay an Early Device Upgrade Fee (EDUF) of between $5 and $15 for each month remaining in the term. Telus says customers must have owned their device for at least six months before they can upgrade under the program.

The amount per month will depend on the type of phone you are trying to get rid. The EDUF for feature phones, smartphones and premium smartphones will be $5, $10 and $15 per month respecively for each month remaining in the contract.

For example, if a Telus customer has an LG Keybo (a feature phone) and wants to upgrade and has 15 months left on their contract then they would pay $75 ($5 x 15) to upgrade.

Telus says the reason the upgrade fee is higher for smartphones is because smartphones are more heavily subsidized by the telecommunications giant than feature. According to the company, the EDUF paid by the customer essentially covers the cost of the subsidy originally provided by Telus.

The company also announced they will waive the EDUF fee for customers on a 36 month term who are within six of their contract term end date provided the customers signs a new contract with Telus.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
just to clarify. In that example you posted. After paying the EDUF would that customer be able to grab any device at the new subsidized price if they re-sign on a new contract? So for instance you can get a HTC desire for 49$ today on a 3 year.

If this is the case it cheaper then what they had quoted me earlier this year. As i think they wanted 20$ a month for me to get out of my contract to get a new subsidized phone. In the end i gave my old phone and contract to a co worker.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After paying the EDUF would that customer be able to grab any device at the new subsidized price if they re-sign on a new contract?
Yes.

The $20 a month was the old cancellation fee. Telus also has a new cancellation policy which is discussed here.

The EDUF is only applicable if you sign up for a new contract with Telus. If you wish to get out fully from Telus and goto another provider then the cancellation fee is what you'll pay.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The company also announced they will waive the EDUF fee for customers on a 36 month term who are within six of their contract term end date provided the customers signs a new contract with Telus.
This isn't really anything new... I did early exits on the last 3 of my contracts by talking to Loyalty and Retention.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's new is they have formalized it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
hmmmm..... math

The popular iphone 4g 32gb, you 'save' $480 on a 36 month contract.... that's $13.33/month for the subsidy......

The EDUF is $15/month.... meaning they should subsidize the phone by $540 over a 36 month contract......

Looking at the telus site... The only phone u're ahead on if u EDUF is the Motorola Milestone which they subsidize by $550.

I wonder if they would let someone buy the phone outright, and then subsidize the monthly plan fee by $15? for a 36month term....?

P

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would imagine to keep it easy, they just made it $15 per month for all premium smartphones. Also, there is an administrative and handling cost for Telus when you upgrade early so I'm sure they tack on a few extra points to cover that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts