Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I recently purchased an iPhone 4 from Telus and I'm having a bugger of a time getting my shaw webmail account and my school district email set up. I've tried several suggestions from other forums but I just can't get it to work. I've contacted Telus about setting up these accounts but we all know how long they take to get back to people with REAL answers (instead of just blowing us off...argh).

Any suggestions? Help? Please?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I use Shaw mail on my Telus iPhone 4. I created a POP account for 3G and a POP acount for when I am connected to my WiFi. The 3G account I set the Incoming server to pop.shaw.ca and the outgoing server to smtp.telus.net and mail.telus.net. I receive emails fairly quick, but when I send an email, using Telus' outgoing servers, my mail takes about 5 to 10 minutes to send. The way I did it is probably not the best way to do it, but it sort of works for me.

The POP account for when I am connected to Shaw internet has the incoming and outoging servers as shawmail.cg.shawcable.net. Of course it will be different depending on what city you are in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Failure Point?

Llama Girl,

Where are you getting stuck? Are you syncing from a computer, or manually setting up mail accounts on your iPhone? Are you able to receive, but not able to send, or is the "receive" not working either?

A more detailed problem definition will help us help you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
3G vs. WiFi

JShel,

For Llama Girl's benefit, the problem you described comes from the fact that one can only send mail through an smtp server which is recognized by the network one is on.

When you are on 3G, you can't use the same smtp server as you do on your high speed cable connection at home. (You can when your phone is connected to your home WiFi).

iPhone 4 lets you specify multiple smtp servers for the same mail account, and of course it lets you toggle their on/off states manually. I set up my iPhone 4 Shaw mail account with a primary server that can send on 3G, and a secondary server that can send on WiFi. When I am on 3G, it hits the primary one first and the mail leaves instantaneously - it never needs to get to the second one. When I am on WiFi, it hits the primary first and takes a good 5 minutes to time out on it before it moves to the secondary one (shawmail.cg.shawcable.net). A server timeout setting on the iPhone would let us control how long it waits on a server before it tries the next one. Unfortunately iPhone does not appear to have such a setting.

So if you care about the time it takes to send, you can manually toggle the right smtp server On and the wrong one Off based on what network you are connected to. Honestly, I can't decide which is lamer: waiting for 5 minutes or having to turn servers on/off manually before I send mail.

The problem would go away if I could borrow a universal smtp server, like Yahoo, Gmail, or MobileMe (which can be accessed from any network), and set all my iPhone accounts' smtp servers to that one. Unfortunately 2 out of the 3 I mentioned require a paid subscription to let you borrow their smtp servers. I haven't had time to try Gmail yet, but I heard that they will actually let you do it for free.

I'll let you know once I try it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
3G vs. WiFi (concluded)

OK, I tried it and it works. The details from the link I posted earlier are not accurate, but Gmail does allow you to use their smtp server on your iPhone and there is a way to configure your accounts (on Gmail) so that the recipient will think the e-mail is coming from whatever address you want. Now I can send mail instantaneously whether I'm on 3G or WiFi... no more wait.

All you need is a Gmail account, which is free. On your iPhone, set the POP to Shaw or whatever else you have, and set the SMTP to smtp.gmail.com. Then the rest of the config is done on the Gmail side. Let me know if you want those details.

Trouble is, ever since I started using Gmail earlier tonight, I have been wondering why I haven't been doing so earlier. It will definitely replace my Shaw account as soon as possible, but in the meantime, my Shaw account is fully functional on my iPhone in either 3G or WiFi.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I created a POP account for 3G and a POP acount for when I am connected to my WiFi.
I assume this is because Shaw won't accept SMTP from off network on port 25. If so, do they accept an alternate port? Rogers blocks port 25 from off network, but allows SMTP on port 587. This means no matter where I'm connected via WiFi, I can send email from my Nexus One or notebook computer by using port 587. I also use my own IMAP server, so that the email is consistent accross all devices. Does Shaw support IMAP?

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Trouble is, ever since I started using Gmail earlier tonight, I have been wondering why I haven't been doing so earlier.
You can also use GMail to pull POP mail from another mail server. This means you can get IMAP access, via GMail, for POP only servers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I assume this is because Shaw won't accept SMTP from off network on port 25. If so, do they accept an alternate port? Rogers blocks port 25 from off network, but allows SMTP on port 587. This means no matter where I'm connected via WiFi, I can send email from my Nexus One or notebook computer by using port 587. I also use my own IMAP server, so that the email is consistent accross all devices. Does Shaw support IMAP?
Shaw does not accept smtp from off network on either 25 or 587.

They say they support imap, but I have not tried it.

I now run all my different pop accounts through GMail imap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is what I just did with the help of Shaw rep.

Go to webmail.shaw.ca

Choose the Beta version and sign in

Click Preferences in top right hand corner

Click Mobile Access and make sure it's ENABLED

Do the Check Existing Password. If you have to change it , It has to be a capital , lower case and some numbers. Mine is 6 characters.

At the bottom of this page you will see a link for Setup Instructions.

I was walked through it with the rep so I am not sure of what it will say on this page, but it will not be hard I don't think.

Have fun and I hope you guys are still around to even see this!!!

Aimee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts