Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALERT!

I have been checking my data and SMS usage after just getting my iphone4 from telus and noticed several SMS charges that turned out to be charges for activating Facetime. I have not called telus mobility yet to reverse the charges but found out the following info:

when you use facetime, some SIM cards SMS +447786205094 and telus is charging for these messages.

One person on the internet using TMobile discovered charges of $7.20 while using facetime!

apparenty, the default FaceTime registration number is the +44 number.

TELUS Should be calling a local server or should ensure their billing system rates these SMS messages as zero charge

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
+44 is the UK and I think most of the 7XX numbers are mobile phones there (they don't have area codes for cell phones like we do - mobile phones are in their own numbering plan which is not region specific).

Have you tried calling that number? Were you using facetime with someone on an iPhone in the UK?

·
Registered
781 Posts
You need to ensure your carrier settings are on version 7.2. The default carrier settings that were included with iOS4 (v7.0) have the UK number as the registration gateway. 7.2 fixes the problem. The phone or iTunes should prompt you to update these automatically.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Telus Facetime SMS Charges Update

my carrier settings were set to the 7.2 bundle but i still got charges.

called Telus; after being bounced thru 3 "Client Care" reps, put on hold for a long time, and finally making the last Rep understand the problem, i was put on hold for 20 minutes while they could talk to Tech Support. The final result of the call was:

1. Tech Support stated it is a known problem and they are working on a fix.
2. My charges were reversed.

However, the Care Rep stated that there is no "official" documentation/guidance/training of Care Reps in place to deal with this problem directly.

So if you have these charges, demand to speak to Tech Support. Once Tech Support confirms the problem, the care rep will reverse your charges.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts