Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is for discussion of Apple's iPhone 4 on the Telus Mobility network.

Availability

The iPhone 4 will be available from Telus stores and authorized retailers starting July 30th. Currently it shows as Out of Stock on their website.

Pricing (16GB/32GB)

$159/$269 for new and/or out-of contract users signing up for a 3-year term
$649/$749 to buy outright (though still carrier-locked)

Promotions (updated July 31)

- Extra 5GB of data for new activations on a Clear Choice Voice & Data plan over $60 (must sign a 3-year contract for this promotion). Available until October 5, 2010.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, to get the free case, you download an app to your iPhone 4. After filling in details Apple will send you one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Got in line at Telus in Halifax at 5am. I was 2nd in line.

Left at 10:15 with a 32gb iPhone 4 with no activation fee, on a great plan (deal ends on August 3rd):

$58.43
  • 600mins
  • 1gb data with tethering
  • 6pm evenings/weekends
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Visual Voicemail
  • Caller ID
  • Unlimited local calling for 6months

I am so happy to be free of Rogers. I am selling my iPhone 3G tonight to pay for the cancelation fee.

I can finally use my phone on the lower two levels of my house... and other areas of the province where I get little to no service with Rogers.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Surprised no mention here of the 5Gb free data from Telus if the plan is $65 or more and includes 1Gb.

Now I know 1Gb is more than enough for abut 99% of customers, there will be those who jump ship for the extra 5Gb and marketing it was "free" in a novel twist to Bell's and Rogers' $30/6Gb offer. And the 5Gb is good for 3 years on a contract.

The brain teaser we face now is whether to jump at these iPhone promos while they last or to wait and see what comes of the anticipated "blood-bath" of competitive offers between Sep and year-end as the incumbents and new carriers battle it out for market share.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^

Didn't see that option when I was creating the thread yesterday. It appears it's for new customers only as well. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Got in line at Telus in Halifax at 5am. I was 2nd in line.

Left at 10:15 with a 32gb iPhone 4 with no activation fee, on a great plan (deal ends on August 3rd):

$58.43
  • 600mins
  • 1gb data with tethering
  • 6pm evenings/weekends
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Visual Voicemail
  • Caller ID
  • Unlimited local calling for 6months

I am so happy to be free of Rogers. I am selling my iPhone 3G tonight to pay for the cancelation fee.

I can finally use my phone on the lower two levels of my house... and other areas of the province where I get little to no service with Rogers.
Im going to try and match that ok great deal man signed new telus customer going to phone loyalty department on Monday

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Surprised no mention here of the 5Gb free data from Telus if the plan is $65 or more and includes 1Gb.

Now I know 1Gb is more than enough for abut 99% of customers, there will be those who jump ship for the extra 5Gb and marketing it was "free" in a novel twist to Bell's and Rogers' $30/6Gb offer. And the 5Gb is good for 3 years on a contract.
Arghh....

Tried to get 5gb free data from telus on my existing iphone 3gs - but i only signed up in Dec 2009.

I feel screwed.

But feel free to charge me for my paper bill......

Sheesh....

P

·
Registered
104 Posts
And rule number 1 for getting an iPhone 4 should be: Do not under any circumstances use the above option (from any Canadian carrier)! Get the unlocked version directly from Apple.
Interesting, I didn't know they were locking the iPhones to a carrier. Does this mean they do the same for the subsidized 3-year contract phones as well? (I am guessing so as it's doubtful they'll carry a stock of locked phones and another stock of unlocked phones)

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any iPhone 4 from a carrier will be locked - whether you get it on contract or not.

If you go to the Apple store, you can either get a discounted iPhone 4 on contract that's locked to a carrier, or an unlocked handset at full price.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Any iPhone 4 from a carrier will be locked - whether you get it on contract or not.

If you go to the Apple store, you can either get a discounted iPhone 4 on contract that's locked to a carrier, or an unlocked handset at full price.
Gotcha. I also didn't know they sold carrier locked iPhones at the Apple stores since there is not Apple store anywhere near me. Online they only have the unlocked phones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts