Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick FYI for those out there with Telus ADSL... their current security suite (free with service) does not work on any of the new 64 bit PCs.

I found this out the hard way when I was trying to install it last night on my new computer. The tech I spoke to said it wasn't available and he didn't know when.

I guess it's AVG for now...

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
64 bit PCs or 64 bit operating systems?
A 64 bit PC can run a 32 bit operating system.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Comodo Internet Security/Firewall/Antivirus have 64 bit for XP/Vista, Avast Antivirus home edition is 64 bit too, both are free.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
...both are free.
Not to mention 10x better than any garbage telus/shaw/any other ISP dredged up to give away! Comodo and Avast are a great combo, I've never even glanced at the "security suite" shaw offers. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Not sure what security package Telus is rebranding. As an aside, Shaw's is F-Secure which is a pretty well respected security suite. If Telus is rebranding a similar grade product, I wouldn't call it garbage.

On the free side, I would take a look at Microsoft's new Security Essentials. It is has an extremely small footprint, does not seem to have any system performance impact, and the beta drew rave reviews from some fairly well respected places. Comodo is excellent, but use the advanced setup, not the basic.

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
Two images come to mind, Sergeant Shultz on Hogan's Heros and also those 3 monkeys. ;-)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Comodo Internet Security/Firewall/Antivirus have 64 bit for XP/Vista, Avast Antivirus home edition is 64 bit too, both are free.
I use, Comodo Firewall and Avast AV for 64 bit XP. For 32 bit XP systems I use Online Armor and Avast. All are free. Comodo is actually a security suite (firewall + AV) but the AV is a little weaker than Avast. Secunia PSI is also a good security product to have installed.

I would never install software provided by an internet provider without a careful review of it's usefulness. I've seen a number of XP systems bricked by install disks. The "free" software is often not needed and is usually loaded with adware.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Small & Fast

On the free side, I would take a look at Microsoft's new Security Essentials. It is has an extremely small footprint, does not seem to have any system performance impact, and the beta drew rave reviews from some fairly well respected places. Comodo is excellent, but use the advanced setup, not the basic.
I dumped all the big commercial and ISP crap.

Lovin' Sunbelts VIPRE.
Beuaty is it works on all my servers 2008 & 2003 as well as all clients, XP to 7 and 32/64 bit.
Great deal on unlimited home site license for us geeks with a load of computers as well.

BTW, just been offered the Telus highspeed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts