Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my address can get this. I currently have the High Speed Turbo plan. My big issue is upload speeds for Slingboxing. For the Slingbox HD, you need at least 3+ Mbps upload. 2 may do it, but not sure. I currently just have the Slingbox Solo, which is regular def, but the picture is very shakey at the 700-800 kbps upload speed I currently have.

I am somewhat peeved because it looks like Shaw and Telus only allow 1Mbps upload with most packages (in practise 700-800 kbps max). I notice in another thread here, someone in Richmond with Telus attained 2.78 Mbps or so. How can we get higher upload speeds here? I see a lot of folks in the US can get 10+ Mbps upload.

And they tend to pay way less for their service as well, but we are very familiar with that story.

Has anyone got the HS Turbo 25 package? What are your speeds like.

Anyone know how to get higher upload speeds? Shaw?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am with Shaw in Vancouver and have Extreme it used to be 1 up and 15 down.. A couple days ago it went to 2.5 up and 25 Mbps.. I do have a HD sling and work great.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
@dufferdan it's part of a summer change up, starting with the Extreme level of Internet. Shaw had a lot of feedback with people wanting better uploads, I'd like to think the change was due to some of that.

Telus high speed turbo 25 should get you up to 2mbps upload if it is just the regular Telus Turbo that has up to 1mbps upload speeds.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm also looking for a way to get higher upload speed for a Slingbox HD. I'm currently on Telus High Speed, 1Mbps up (actual upload speeds I see are more like 700k max)

unfortunately Telus tells me that I can get Turbo (15down/1up) but NOT Turbo 25 in my area. they could not tell me if or when Turbo 25 might later become available to me.

anyone know what the limiting factor on providing Turbo 25 to a neighbourhood?

just curious if there's ever hope of me getting >1Mbps upload from Telus, or do I need to consider switching to Shaw?

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
The limiting factor is the distance from your house to the fibre optic node in your neighbourhood, assuming the node has been upgraded to VDSL2. A neighbour a few houses closer to the node may be able to get Turbo 25.

·
Registered
95 Posts
thanks for the reply, Dr.Dave

well, I suppose that's not so promising news for me, if it's outside plant infrastructure like that :(
I was kinda hoping it might simply be that the nearest CO hadn't yet upgraded line cards or something...

is there any technical reason why upload speeds on non-Turbo25 lines couldn't be increased?

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
There is a possibility when they upgrade the line cards at the fibre optic node to VDSL2 that you'll be able to get a higher speed. The line cards aren't in the CO for the Turbo plans unless you happen to live a few blocks from one.

There isn't any technical reason why the telco couldn't create a profile that had a lower download speed and a higher upload speed, but they generally offer a few standard profiles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
thanks again Dr.Dave

I see... (it's been many years since I've been in a CO :) - and we had BC Tel back then!)

now, I'm thinking it's maybe not as hopeless as I thought, if I wait and see. I don't suppose bugging Telus periodically would increase the chance of availability of Turbo 25 on my line? meanwhile I assume there's zero chance they'd create a custom profile w/ higher upload, if requested?

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
bac0, you may be able to find out from Telus if your local node has been upgraded yet, so you'll know if there's hope or not. "Bugging Telus" won't make it happen any faster unless the issue is a shortage of VDSL2 line cards in your local node. Some may become available around the beginning of the month as people move.

I think the chances of getting a custom profile are pretty slim. If Turbo 25 speed isn't available because of distance, you may still be able to order it and get the faster upload speed, but your download speed would still be limited. I don't know if Telus procedures would allow that to happen or not.

·
Registered
478 Posts
just ran a test, through speedtest.

Download 24.00mbps, Upload 2.06mbps

That was from Calgary, to the Brooks location, because the Calgary location is giving me a latency test error.

I consistantly get 3100k/s download speeds off astraweb news servers.

i realize you're asking about upload more than download, but i'd estimate that a consistant 2mbps is a fair guess.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just got High Speed Turbo 25, and getting excellent speeds (I have Optik service as well so technically Optik turbo):

·
Registered
2 Posts
making the switch i think.

I have telus optik turbo and when ever i go to speedtest.net i always get around 17download and less than 1 upload. i dont understand how i can be paying for something that doesnt provide. i have some door to door guy come to my place from shaw and he offered me thier BB50. I think im going to give it a try. he said i could try any level of internet for 3 months free so why not?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have telus optik turbo and when ever i go to speedtest.net i always get around 17download and less than 1 upload. i dont understand how i can be paying for something that doesnt provide. i have some door to door guy come to my place from shaw and he offered me thier BB50. I think im going to give it a try. he said i could try any level of internet for 3 months free so why not?
Doctord: I recently had my service upgraded from Optik to Optik turbo. However once I confirmed the turbo was active, I was only getting like 15-16 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. I had to call Telus technical support (Option 5 at 310-mytv) and they had to recreate my profile from their end to get the turbo service to really work. Now I consistently get 25/3 so I'd recommend calling them and telling them that you appear to be on just the Optik high speed profile rather than the optik high speed turbo. Good luck and post back here if that helps!

·
Registered
95 Posts
update: I did some more digging around for info and now I'm hearing the nearby node isn't upgraded yet but unfortunately no known schedule to do so, it will depend on demand. apparently no problem with distance.

for faster upload, tech support suggested switching to a business internet account but the prices seem outrageous just for home/slingbox use. sounds like it's impossible to get some other custom profile on a residential line so for >1Mbps up, Turbo 25 is the only way

so I'm left to envy the speedtest numbers everyone is posting :(

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I had BB100 from Shaw, recently went to Telus Turbo 25, and I would say my telus is just as fast if not faster for downloading, and its way faster for uploading,

Shaw may do ok on a speed test, but in my area the actual speed has been brutal since they started offering BB50 and BB100,

My torrents perform way better with Telus than they did with Shaw, Telus also seems to be more responsive,
online gaming is also way better

I had problem with my Telus speed at first I called them and they got it sorted out,
way better technical support than Shaw, not insane wait time either, be prepared to wait 8 hours to get through to Shaw, and thats no joke

1 - 20 of 21 Posts