Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.telus.com/content/tv/sat/programming/index.jsp

It says on their website that if you select a base plan, such as Medium Choice you get "Choice of 6 theme packs, including corresponding HD channels"

So if I select Sports 1 and 2, why do I NOT get TSN, TSN 2, and Sportsnet in HD as well? Only RDS and The Score HD channels are included.

Seems like you must separately pay for the HD Sports channels in the HD theme packs. For both TSN and Sportsnet, HD and SD are exactly copies of each other and this is not like Discovery SD and HD having different content.

I will be calling Telus about this as I want to add sports channels again, but perhaps there is some (stupid) regulatory reason for this.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Because the HD sports channels are hugely popular and they know people will pay extra for them. And it's not just Telus. They ALL do it to some extent.
Having said that, looking at the info on the link you provided, the "theme Pack with corresponding HD channels" is very misleading and bordering on the dishonest.

·
Registered
95 Posts
From their website, it appears Telus is playing this game with more than just sports channels. The same thing seems to be happening with channels such as Natgeo, Showcase and A&E.

Even if one was to argue that some HD channels aren't identical to their Sd counterparts, I know that A&E is identical...

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you subscribe to Telus Satellite TV, Bell controls the pricing. Bell's agreement with CTV is that CTV wants viewers to subscribe to both TSN(2) and TSN(2) HD and charges a wholesale rate for both SD and HD feeds seperately. Rogers does not require viewers to subscribe to the SD feed of SportsNet before subscribing to the HD feed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
@cslusarc - The concern raised isn't that there are separate charges as much as the way Telus advertises it - it leads one to think that the HD channel is provided at no extra charge.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It says "Choice of 6 theme packs, including corresponding HD channels" If you looked at this alone, I could see your confusion/disapointment.

However, viewing just this alone would be taking it out of context considering the page layout. Below are all the theme packs which specify the SD channels included, as well as the corresponding HD channels that come with those packs. You will notice there is a separate section for HD theme packs and you are informed you can select 4 for an additional 10 per month. You do have to pay separately for most HD streams.

Yes, they could have worded it better for at a glance readers. However, it's not misleading when you view the page as a whole. If you click on "browse our channel selection.pdf" the wording they choose is a bit better.

~* My opinions are mine alone*~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts