Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what style of connector is used for Telus Fiber optic to home connections? Mainly want to know what type of a plug is on the back of a fiber optic cable.

I am with optik over old telephone lines right now but building up my telecom closet, and would like to have jacks in place once they switch me over to fiber (I have a cable in place already, just not in use)

·
Registered
980 Posts
It will more than likely be a SC connector as the fibre coming in your home is single mode and SC is pretty much the norm for connectors on single mode fibre.

·
Registered
82 Posts
@eblend

if i follow you right, you are thinking of running fiber to each jack location in your house?

FTTH is fiber to the house, and then the in home connections are the same as they are now, coax and/or ethernet. If you get "switched" over to fiber your setup basically becomes fiber to the demarc, with the inside setup the way it was before...

****telus employee, but my views are all my own****

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
myteammytown

No, not to each location in the house, just to my network shelf. I basically have a closet where everything comes into the house (cable, telephone, power ect ect, and right beside that closet is where I am making a shelf dedicated to my networking equipment, along with my servers and stuff. I am putting in those keystone style wall plates right on the other side of the closet where everything comes in, so that I can have a clean shelf. Right now I have all my ethernet jacks that run in the house terminate at the network location, I just want to add fiber keystone jack as well, just for the looks, and include it in my monoprice order rather than haveing to get it later. I can easily swap it out for a correct one if I get it wrong this time, as I would have access to the front and the back of the jack. When fiber is actually inside the house I will have it hooked up to the back of the jack in the closet, and than have a plug in cable on the opposite side, where my network equipment is at.

This is the jack I am gonna get, seems like it is a standard SC as you mentioned, had someone on another forum check their setup, as they have fiber straight to home.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The fibre runs to a ONT device in the house. From there is an ethernet jack which runs to the router, and a phone jack which runs to the CCB. fibre is not run to the STBs or anything like that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I do FTTH installs. We don't use any type of keystone jacks for fiber. The fiber comes right out of the wall and plugs directly into the inside of the ONT. It is a green SC connector. I'd suggest just a blank cover for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts