Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts
Tech Questions about Telus FTTH

Hi All

Telus has announced they are running FTTH here in Mission this fall and I'm pretty excited but it has raised a bunch of questions. I'm hoping some of you that have gone through this can help with some answers.

1) What happens to the old phone lines? Specifically - how will my house alarm connect? Right now it has priority connection to the analogue pair from Telus to call in an alarm. Will installing FTTH require me to upgrade or replace my house alarm with something new and wireless?

2) My research says that the fibre will terminate at an Alcatel-Lucent ONT and then an ethernet port goes to an Actionet router. I don't need or want the Actionet router, can I just feed from the ONT directly into my firewall the way my current ADSL modem is connected?

Jeff

The ONT will also have couple RJ11 phone jacks for analogue lines. When a customer subscribes for POTS service, a battery backup will be attached to the ONT. I believe it provides about 8~10 hours of backup time.

Your old phone may not be moved to the the fiber. It's not uncommon to leave phone service on copper, with TV and internet on fiber. It isn't necessary to move all three services.

Tech Questions about Telus Fibre pre-install

Our apartment complex management is forcing everyone to have Telus come in and pre-install fibre plug should we or anyone else who decides to move in want to use the service when it comes available.

The Telus tech solicitor says they will add a small plastic panel which acts as a fibre access point. Likely in the closet to the box that is already there. However, there is no box in any closest so I have no idea what he is saying.

The entire installation process seems very unprofessional and very ad hoc. What is the typical way of pre-installing these plugs? Do they somehow connect using the standard telephone or coax plug? The resident manager isn't sure how Telus contractors will do their work, but they were told there should be a box in one of the closets.

Had Telus come to my door asking for permission to run the new lines to my house in Mission BC. Looks like Shaw is finally going to have some competition here. Our only other option for TV is satellite at the moment. If they have some good incentives I might switch from Shaw.

Just had Telus install fibre to the house. They had to drill a hold from the inside of the house out to the outside to connect to the fibre from the street pole. The technician said I won't notice any difference unless I order the Internet 150/150. Like one poster said, the fibre terminates at a Alcatel-Lucent ONT installed inside of the house.

The latency is better with Fiber vs copper, so you do stuff that's latency sensitive, you'd notice the difference between the two.

That said, Internet 150 isn't a bad idea; 150mbps upload is great for online backups, or, you know, "giving back to the community" on P2P networks. :)

Internet intermittently works on fibre. Sometimes I can connect tot a website and sometimes I can't. I have to wait a few seconds before I can connect to a website. This is awful. I thought fibre was better than copper but maybe it's just the new technology that Telus is rolling out. Telus still has some bugs to clean up before this fibre network of theirs goes mainstream. I should have stayed with copper.

What Telus is deploying really isn't "new technology"; it's well tested. Indeed, most of the Internet runs over fiber cables. It's just the "last mile" which has traditionally used copper. I suspect the issues you're having isn't with the tech itself. It's more likely to be your router, your WiFi network (if you're using WiFi) or other things like crappy performance from DNS servers or something like that.

Telus now using Nokia ONTs

I got my FTTH hooked up today. Pics attached. The tech ran the fibre in along the same route as the copper and terminated at the ONT, which was by Nokia (not Lucent-Alcatel as I expected.)

From the ONT he ran to the T3200 because we ordered Optik TV. Once he had all of that installed, initialized and set up we disconnected the line from the ONT to the T3200 and ran it into a port on my switch that was set up as a four port VPN. Then we ran from that same VPN back to the T3200 and waited a minute and everything worked afa the TVs were concerned.

Then I disconnected my firewall input from my ADSL box (T2200) and connected it to the VPN. I opened up my firewall (pfsense) and did a release and renew on the WAN interface and telus gave us a second IP. No need to register your MAC addresses anymore it seems.

You can see the basic layout in the sketch, I changed nothing in my stack other than the source for the firewall WAN. All of my wifi devices are still behind my firewall and the wifi Telus provides from the t3200 is used only for the optik TV boxes.

This was simple, easy and painless.

edit: sorry, apparently i "may not post attachments" so I can't share the pics.

Some posts here indicate that you don't need to use the Telus modem, just their Nokia box. So does this mean I can hook up the ethernet directly to my own router and bypass Telus hardware, even if I'm using Optik TV?

My entire place is wired with CAT 5e.

yvr76

you can but chances are you may experience pixilations and dropouts. Your router does not have the correct QoS for OptikTV. If you have the T3200 Gateway, it can be bridged and you can connect your router on LAN1 of the T3200.

does this mean I can hook up the ethernet directly to my own router and bypass Telus hardware, even if I'm using Optik TV?

I thought about doing that but in the end it didn't make sense not to use the WIFI provided by the T3200. Routing all of your Optik traffic through the same wireless router as your computer traffic can only slow things down. The other complication is that the Optik PVR box MUST be wired. I initially thought they would all be wireless and it complicated things a little for me. If you use your own gear you'll need to wire the PVR to your switch and make sure the wireless boxes at the TVs can talk to it, it's like the brain and the wireless boxes seem to be slaves. The solution was to leave the PVR near the T3200, wired in but not connected to any TV and use two wireless boxes for the TVs.

Plus the T3200 is free.

You could feed your router/switch from port 1 of the T3200 in Bridge mode but that puts your PVR inside your computer subnet. It also means that the T3200 must process ALL of the traffic. A better way is to split your traffic right after the ONT and keep your Optik on one subnet and your computer traffic on another. This means they never conflict and you do ZERO modifications to your existing network.

You CAN get TWO IPs from Telus so get a small 4 or 6 port switch (or set up a VPN on three ports of your switch)

Route from the ONT box (that the fiber goes to) to the switch (or VPN)

Route from the switch (or VPN) to the T3200 for Optik TV

Route from the switch (or VPN) to your firewall or computer router/switch

The T3200 will pull one IP and your firewall/router will pull a second.

The ONT can easily serve two connections, you have up to 150M available so make sure the switch/VPN you use has GB ports not 10/100.

Well, I haven't been on the forum for a while and all I can say is that I'm happy with Telus Internet. The T3200 modem was given some firmware updates (3 of them to be exact) and now Internet is running smoothly.

Telus Fiber Optic in Barriere BC

I'm writing this for a friend, he lives in Barriere but is getting terrible internet speeds. Telus is telling him Fiber isn't available, yet the local hospital some how has it. He's getting something like 3mbps a second, which this day and age is pathetic. Does anyone have any insight into the fiber installs in the area? Thanks

How does Telus run fibre to my house?

Need your help experts!
Telus (Ledcor contractor) ran fibre down our laneway about 2 years ago. At that time I gave them permission to access our property so I see fibre is run from the pole into an access box in my detached garage.
This box is also where Shaw has the cable connections and Telus has their old phone connections. We are currently with Shaw (TV/internet/phone) and thinking of jumping over to Telus but want to make sure the transition can be done smoothly otherwise we will just stick with Shaw. The allure of 300Mbs/300Mbs over 300Mbs/20Mbs.

Few questions:
1. Cable and phone runs from our garage underground in a conduit (20 ft or so) into our house and comes up in our utility room. Does Telus run fibre through this conduit as well or do they use existing Telus copper line? Or old Shaw coax?

2. Do I need to be aware that Telus might rip out existing lines that would prevent me from reverting to Shaw one day? e.g. If they pulled out the coax from the conduit

3. Many years ago I had Telus ADSL and each phone, and my alarm system, had to use a DSL filter. What happens now with Fibre? Hopefully nothing needs to be used like individual DSL filters now.

4. Does Telus Optik TV only run with wireless now? I would prefer they use wired connections (only existing line is Coax). Wouldn't wireless cause interference with my wifi? Is Optik HD/4K as good as Shaw?

5. Does Telus home phone through fibre allow voicemail like Shaw offers, i.e. Get an email whenever I have a voicemail waiting

6. Any other installation/transition issues you would suggest I watch out for?

Thank You!!!

I switched about a year ago form Shaw to Telus. Service has been great.

1. On my install fiber was run into the house.
2. All of my Shaw lines are still intact.
3. No filters on my phone.
4. Main box the PVR is wired, the others are wireless but can be hardwired.
5. Don't know.
6 My install went very smoothly, took about 4 hours.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.