Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts
Thanks, hmb, for clearing that up. The installer will face some challenges since demarc block is outside and Actiontec is far away from it with no Ethernet in between. But I have found that Telus installers are pretty resourceful, so I have reason for hope.

Telus's disruptive fibre install in Edmonton

I debated whether I should post this in this forum or the Telus forum, but I decided that if you're going to try to stop something from happening, it's better to get the assistance of a big competitor rather than ask the prime mover. (See edited comment below.)

Telus is in the process of installing fibre-optic cable in the neighborhood adjacent to ours. My wife and I took a look at that neighborhood yesterday and we don't like what we see. In short, there is more damage to property than Telus led us to believe and, quite frankly, since we already have Shaw cable TV and internet and will not in the future want internet faster than 30 mb/sec (and far greater speeds than 30 are already available from Shaw), I don't want Telus damaging our property, even "temporarily".

Apparently the homeowner's property does not extend to the city's (the taxpayers of Edmonton's) sidewalk. We learned this from a 20-year-old contractor who was spraying lines and planting flags on what we used to believe was our well-cared-for lawn. (We're retired, so we notice these things.) The "city's" property (which we are by law forced to shovel and now, apparently, mow) extends about 4 feet from the sidewalk and this is the ground under which the contractor for Telus is installing the cable. Along this cable, still on "city" property, there will be occasional boxes that will sit above ground, usually adjacent to the boxes / bases of street-lights.

After the installation of this line that runs under this "city" property that runs all the way around our circular neighborhood, presumably the Telus sales people will start making the rounds in an attempt to get individual homeowners to allow Telus to run the line up under the homeowner's property and into the home.

My question is simple. The installation / disruption / damage in our neighborhood is scheduled to take place in two to three weeks. Is there any way that a neighborhood (or, for that matter, an idividual homeowner) can "opt out" of Telus's fibre-optic network and prevent Telus from installing the fibre-optic cable in a particular neighborhood -- for example, by getting the signatures of all of its homeowners on a document that makes such a request?

Thanks for any information or advice.

Edit: I had originally posted this comment in the Shaw internet forum for the reason I explained in my first paragraph. Now that it's here, it's here, so I would still appreciate any advice on if and how our neighborhood can opt out of Telus's optic network and avoid the installation damage, ever if it's supposedly temporary.

The piece of land you speak of is called the 'Boulevard allowance' in Ontario and the city can certainly allow a company to dig it up to mend/install infrastructure stuff like cables and pipes.
Also here,Rogers is allowed to run the cable to your house to a 'demark(ation) point on your house whether you like it or not, even if you don't use it.

I imagine the same may be true in Edmonton. You may have no choice in the matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

@Tony1M Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it, except to make sure that any landscaping is repaired properly afterwards. A lot of the work is done by subcontractors, so a call to Telus may be necessary.

https://fibre.telus.com/edmonton/installation/
Utility right of way
This is municipal property usually located on or near private property lines, including sidewalks, driveways and lawns. Utility companies have the legal right to access the utilities or services within that specified area. And at TELUS, we make it a priority to be as respectful and non-invasive as possible. If any property is affected by work in the utility right of way, our teams are committed to restoring effected landscaping and property as soon as work is complete and weather permits.

Thanks for the information, tim and Dave.

I am expecting a call-back from a city rep., during which I will ask two more questions.

1. Just exactly who "owns" that 4 feet of lawn next to the sidewalk? (A utility easement or right-of-way is one thing. To me, ownership is something else. If I find out that the city actually owns that four feet, as they do the sidewalk, I may install a boundary line of some sort on our lawn where the two properties meet and, on the city's side of the boundary, some type of zero-maintenance material that is acceptable to our overlords. Not ever having to mow and seed and water and fertilize that part of the lawn ever again might actually be a good thing for retired people who aren't getting any younger.)

2. Will Telus have some similar right to bore a line further into / under our property, right up to our foundation, from wherever the city-mandated access ends?

I'll report back our overlords' answers to those questions.

The same thing exists in all municipalities. If you have the drawing (survey) for your property, it will be shown there. There's usually 1-2 metres of "property" that is not yours. It's probably more work to "differentiate" that area than to simply mow the lawn, like everyone else does.

Will Telus have some similar right to bore a line further into / under our property, right up to our foundation, from wherever the city-mandated access ends?
Here's another quote from the Telus link. It sounds like you don't have to have your house connected if you don't want to.
As work progresses, a TELUS rep will visit your home or business to see if you would like to be connected to 100% fibre. This connection comes at no charge and gives you the opportunity to add TELUS services in the future. At this time the rep will look at your property to establish the best connection method and explain how the work will be completed.

I don't know about Telus. Rogers is the same...you don't have to be connected (aka buy any Rogers services ) if you don't want to. But you still get the demark point attached to your house.

@timlocke The paragraph I quoted says that getting the fibre attached to your house is optional. If you get the physical connection, you still have a choice whether you want to subscribe to Telus services. It might make more sense if you read the Telus link.

@dr dave. That para seems ambiguous to me but whatever. Where I have lived (Toronto,established neighbourhood) it has been Rogers and their service has been delivered from wires on the hydro poles. I believe in new sub divisions they have also been underground so I don't know what they do. I would agree that digging up your garden/driveway without express permission should be a no-no.

TechGuy8:

In newer subdivisions, Telus will be installing the fibre right to the demarc. In older neighborhoods with existing copper path (direct buried) they will trench and put in conduit and install the fibre to demarc with home owner permission of course.

This morning I spoke to a representative of Edmonton taxpayers' over lords, who answered my two previously-posted questions.

1. The City of Edmonton owns the "utility right of way", just as it owns the sidewalks and streets.

2. Telus or its contractors will need the property owners' permission to "bring" the cable to the homes' foundation.

I also asked about what maintenance -free materials are acceptable to be installed on top of the overlords' property.
6.1(55) Landscaping

From the above:

"55. Landscaping means the preservation or modification of the natural features of a Site through the placement or addition of any or a combination of the following:

a. soft landscaping elements such as trees, shrubs, plants, lawns and ornamental plantings;

b. decorative hardsurfacing elements such as bricks, pavers, shale, crushed rock or other suitable materials, excluding monolithic concrete and asphalt, in the form of patios, walkways and paths; and

c. architectural elements such as decorative fencing, walls and sculpture;

Fibre rollout timeframe GVRD?

Anybody have access to potential timeframes when Telus plans to expand their Fibre network to more Metro Vancouver areas?

Seems to me like they're behind the 8-ball again now that Shaw offers Internet 150 to the majority of existing service area.

I live in Coquitlam and they have it in my building in Southwest Coquitlam. I also have both Novus and Urban Fibre available, with Urban Fibre offering 1,000 megabits up and 1,000 megabits down for $79.00/month unlimited-I didn't get any response on here when I asked if anyone had the latter, so I have stayed with Telus, but I am thinking about it.

@Canucks4life, for a price decrease just call Telus retentions and mention Shaw's deal offering new customers 150mbps @ $50 for the first year and $80 for the second.

I'm saving ~$600 over the next year because I made a call like that.
Yeah spoke with LNR about a month ago and decided to cancel our OptikTV was already on skinny basic which we never watch...wasn't much they could offer at the time just a $10 discount off Internet 50 good until Oct 12.

I take it now with Shaw Internet 150 promo there might be more wiggle room?

41 - 60 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.