Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts
This is fantastic news. Unfortunately I'm sure Telus won't offer the same price/performance as Google Fiber, but for most things users wouldn't see the difference between 150Mbps and 1Gbps as of today. This will change, of course.

Your move Shaw.

Looked at map and even did the sign up for a call back and or notification... unfortunately i am NOT in their map for connections.. oh well 2020 the debts will be almost paid off by then.. something to look forward to in my retirement

Telus bringing fibre-optic internet to Vancouver

Excerpts from the Oct. 2 press release:

TELUS is investing $1 billion to connect the majority of homes and businesses in the City of Vancouver directly to the company’s state-of-the-art fibre optic network over the next five years. Once complete, TELUS’ fibre build will add more than 400,000 homes, businesses, hospitals, community centres and municipal offices to the fibre-lit landscape.

When the first Vancouver neighbourhoods are fully connected early next year local residents and businesses will be able to take advantage of home Internet speeds of up to 150 megabits per second. TELUS plans to offer families and businesses in Vancouver increasingly higher speeds over this gigabit-enabled network in the coming years, as demand continues to increase.

Vancouver residents can expect to see the TELUS team across the city neighbourhood by neighbourhood, knocking on doors to discuss connecting homes and businesses directly to TELUS’ fibre optic network and installing infrastructure. There is no requirement to be a current TELUS customer to be connected to the network, nor are there any conditions to purchase services once the network construction is complete.

In celebration of today’s announcement, on behalf of the company’s almost 7,000 team members and retirees in Metro Vancouver Mr. Entwistle also announced TELUS is making a $100,000 investment in the Vancouver Public Library.

This significant commitment is part of TELUS’ plan to invest an additional $4 billion in British Columbia through 2018. When combined with operational expenses, this will bring the total TELUS investment in British Columbia over the next four years to more than $11.5 billion. By 2018, TELUS will have invested more than $47 billion in British Columbia since 2000 to further extend advanced telecommunications infrastructure and services, ensuring sustained innovation and fueling economic growth.

For more information on the TELUS Fibre Optic Network, visit telus.com/vancouver or call 1-855-595-5588.

More links:

Here is the rollout map: https://fibre.telus.com/vancouver/availability/
Generally, the area west of Laurel is scheduled for 2016 as well as the SE corner of Vancouver.

FAQ: https://fibre.telus.com/media/2015/07/TELUS-Fibre-FAQ_o.pdf

TELUS Fibre will extend into apartment buildings. Strata or condo board approval is required to begin the connection process.

Kitsilano and Shaughnessy will be the first neighbourhoods to have the fibre-optic network installed, and are expected to come online in March 2016.

TELUS investing $14 million to connect Williams Lake homes and businesses directly to advanced fibre optic network

TELUS is investing $14 million to connect more than 90 per cent of homes and businesses in Williams Lake directly to its fibre optic network. TELUS began initial construction work in the community in August, and expects to have the final homes and businesses connected in the coming months.

TELUS’ build is nearing completion, and local residents and businesses can expect to see the TELUS team throughout the community in the coming weeks completing their work connecting homes and businesses directly to TELUS’ fibre optic network.

Hi, I got some questions

Like some have stated earlier - I got a rep that came to my door saying Fibre has come to my area (south east Edmonton)
-I decided to talk to a rep online and when he checked he said it's still copper in my area, so how would I know if I'm getting fibre or not?

Someone mentioned I would get a "fibre modem" instead of an actiontech modem?

Also some other questions - which I'm just verifying:
1) The rep was saying I can get 4 HD streams + 1 SD stream ( we have 4 tv's) so not sure if being on fibre is giving that extra hd stream?
2) lets say I choose to go with Internet 100 - again being on fibre does that mean even if all tv's are on and assuming all watching hd streams will I still get the full 100 Mbps speeds while downloading or does it share the pool w/ the tvs?

Thanks

kor123 said:
1) The rep was saying I can get 4 HD streams + 1 SD stream ( we have 4 tv's) so not sure if being on fibre is giving that extra hd stream?
I have Telus Fiber, but I don't use their TV service, so I'm not 100% sure of the answer to your question, but with a Fiber connection Telus would have no trouble offering 50 concurrent streams.

kor123 said:
2) lets say I choose to go with Internet 100 - again being on fibre does that mean even if all tv's are on and assuming all watching hd streams will I still get the full 100 Mbps speeds while downloading or does it share the pool w/ the tvs?
Yes. Telus over provisions the bandwidth to allow for TV streams while still being able to provide the quoted Internet bandwidth rates. Most people with Internet 100 on fiber seem to get ~130mbps when doing a speed test when the TV isn't using any of the bandwidth. Each TV stream should take ~5-6mbps.

Regarding your first question, while most people get 3 HD + 1 SD, my understanding is that people who have a higher speed connection (50+) and one of the newer cable boxes (ISB-series) will generally be provisioned for 4+1 during installation. That applies even on copper. For your second question, audacity is correct.

I just received a notice in the mail saying "Full Fibre" is now available in my area so I went to the website to confirm and what do I find? No such luck! If only it were true, I could dump Shaw and get TRUE high speed internet that would permit so much more flexibility. Oh well, I just hope it happens before I die of old age.

I'm on Fiber and Telus won't give me Internet 100 because I'm not in a "converged edge" area. So, one does not imply the other.

You'd think that if Telus is doing FTTH that they'd always offer Internet 100, but apparently that isn't the case.

I complained about the lack of Internet 100/150 to the retention department and was able to get their unlimited bandwidth package added for free to my account because of this.

oh interesting didn't know that - I think I will then still go with telus for now since its way cheaper then shaw.

What are some questions I should be asking to the tech when he comes here next week?

I've heard people talk about dslam and ideally you want to be what 500m or less from it to get optimal speeds right?

what about the router they give me should I be asking for a specific kind?

I'm on Fiber and Telus won't give me Internet 100 because I'm not in a "converged edge" area. So, one does not imply the other.

You'd think that if Telus is doing FTTH that they'd always offer Internet 100, but apparently that isn't the case.
I saw this post from a Telus Employee from 3 months ago on their community forum:
I am happy to share that we are in the midst of enabling IPv6 for eligible TELUS Internet subscribers. To be eligible you must be on our Converged Edge network (true of most TELUS Internet subscribers)...
That implies 2 things:
1) Most FFTH users should be able to get 100 Mbps and the rest will soon.
2) If you have IPv6 enabled on your Actiontec, you are on Converged Edge and therefore you should be able to get 100 Mbps.

Converged Edge does not imply you're on FTTH. Most Telus Optik subscribers are really on FTTN, and the last mile is copper. That is the case for me as far as I know, and I have IPv6, but 100Mbps is not available (50 is max).

Sorry if I left the wrong impression. Since I was posting in the fibre optic thread, I was just addressing the FTTH customers that were not on Converged Edge and therefore could only get 50 Mbps.

Since all Telus customer will have IPv6 available by early 2016, everyone should be on Converged Edge soon.

Bringing Fibre to the Home

Telus just finished installing fibre in my area and the rep offered either 100 or 150 Mb service to me when I called to add some channels to Optik. They are going to call me back to schedule the fibre install. He said it would take about 3 - 4 hours. This raises these question for me:

1. Does the fibre come only to the demarc block and existing copper from there, or will they want to run fibre to the modem?
2. Since the house was pre-wired with phone wires and coax 30 years ago, I am using coax from the Actiontec to a second TV box (but Cat 5e to the main PVR). If they somehow can get fibre to the modem, is coax still an option to the second TV box?

Thanks for any clarification on what to expect during install.

1. Does the fibre come only to the demarc block and existing copper from there, or will they want to run fibre to the modem?
2. Since the house was pre-wired with phone wires and coax 30 years ago, I am using coax from the Actiontec to a second TV box (but Cat 5e to the main PVR). If they somehow can get fibre to the modem, is coax still an option to the second TV box?
1. Fibre is run to your home's interior demarc block, and at that location it will be connected to an Alcatel-Lucent fibre modem. That modem has a port that connects to your home phone system (if you are using Telus for your home phone service), and an ethernet port that connects via ethernet cable to the WAN port of your Actiontec router. The fibre modem needs to be plugged into a power outlet, so the location of a power outlet (rather than the current location of your home's demarc block) will determine where the fibre cable actually gets terminated in your home.

2. There will be no need to change the cabling method (coax or ethernet) currently being used to connect your Actiontec router to your TV set-top boxes.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.