Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I'm sure most of you have seen the promotion by now. Telus is offering an extra 5Gb data per month on new activations whose clear choice plan is over $60. This is an incredible amount of data. I just wish I could get in on:(

I re-signed a three year deal just a month ago, the 500Mb clear choice plan, which means I'm constantly paranoid about my usage. You can't enjoy your phone (Milestone) to the fullest.

Do you guys think customer service would allow me to up my plan to the $65 option then get the extra data...or am I dreaming? I just signed a month ago.

Just thought I'd run it by here first before I call and beg.:D

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
you wont have to beg.. you calling and asking to pay $20 for an additional 5.5gigs of data just tickles telus pink!

notice how they did not offer that to 50$ plan users?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I was already on a $65 plan.

I was new back in Dec 2009.

I had to beg.

Beginning of August 2010 when I stumbled across the bonus, 1st call lasted about 15 minutes. Went nowhere.

2nd Call On Friday the 13th, lasted about 20 minutes. I was initially denied, they were saying it was for new customers only. I couldn't get the deal. They wanted to charge me $80 for 5 gigs data. (up to this point, I was only using 50-100mb of data a month, but I was pretty frugal with youtube if not on wifi. I really wanted to tether for the cottage, but 1 hr of mild surfing of forums used about 30mb of data the one time i tried it.)

- I asked about the cancellation charge on my contract ($400) to become new again. In my mind, that would be the same as paying $80 for 5 months for the extra data, and then being able to get the rest for free.

- When I asked about cancellation, I was forwarded to retentions. They granted me the plan, but charged me $7 for my 6pm evenings plan.

- I plan to get rid of the $7 6pm evenings plan after my next billing cycle. - Who actually talks on their cell phone anyways? That's so 90's.

- I can slingplayer to my iphone quite well, great for one kid while in the car, or waiting at the rink for the other kid..... using on average 2mb/minute.

- I plan to tether at the cottage next year, instead of get the rogers portable subscription.

P

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was ready to renew (2 months left) and was going to do the hardware upgrade to get the iPhone4... but when I heard about this "free 5 GB" promo being for new clients only, I was pissed.
I was looking at the $80 plan to get the 2 gigs as 1GB is not enough to be safe...

Long story short - it took me 2 trips to the Telus store, over 2 days and a few ~20 minute phone calls, but I did get it, so I down graded to the $65 plan (used the double minutes perk to get back to what I need which is over 400) and now have 6 GBs for less than I was going to pay for 2 GBs :p.

Here is the story for those that care for details:

When I found out about the goofy promo being limited to new clients, I was at the Telus store, and initially tried phoning customer service from there, but it was too loud in the store, and I didn't have time to get into it; the store rep agreed that it was BS and gave me the direct number to call "Loyalty & Retention", so I could skip the 3 people you usually have to go through in the customer service chain, who's job it is to wear you down and waste your energy (as they don't even have the power to do anything anyway.), before you get to talk with L&R.

I mentally prepared my battle and did it before dinner from home that night...
Figured I would wait till end of business and hope I got a "Loyalty & Retention" person that was too tired to fight.

I'll spare you the specifics of the conversation, but it was a struggle - they are trained to make you think there is no way in hell you can have it - I stayed calm and polite, but stuck to my guns, and made it clear I was not going to settle, and as I only have a couple months left in my contract, I would be long gone if I didn't get what I wanted.

I got it in the end...
...but good luck to most people that try though.

Anyway, I was assured that it was set-up and noted on my account, so when I did go back to sign a new contract, it would be there as an option.
(I got the details of the person I was talking to so I could go straight back to them if there is an issue when I actually tried to do it).
- But of course there was no note the rep at the store could see, so I did have to spend another 20 minutes on the phone at the Telus store to confirm I had it all set-up propperly before I left after signing the contact and getting my new iPhone4...

I was definitely a pain, but worth it in the end I guess.

·
Registered
748 Posts
It's sad that established subscribers who have completed their contract and are ready to re-commit for 3 years have to go through this get the same terms as new customers. I know promotions are designed to attract business and the cost is likely charged to marketing (at least in part), but lost subscribers (churn) are also hugely important to the analysts that value wireless companies. There is good reason to "do what it takes" to reduce churn.

I will be going through this same thing in the next few weeks; 11 years with Clearnet and Telus, 2 lines, monthly revenue of about $85 (before taxes) and never a late payment. I'm not happy that they want me to pay more just because I'm moving from the legacy CDMA network to HSPA. It will be interesting how Telus responds to my argument that both Bell and Rogers offer better plans for my family's needs than anything Telus promotes and if they will offer enough bonuses to make up the difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeah, I got you beat - been with telus since it was "clearnet" circa '91, and my bills have averaged over $140 for the past 5 years.

they will try to tell you that you have certain perks new clients can't get, like grand fathered features like free caller ID (which should be free anyway) or free incoming calls or something) but my argument was yeah, I earned those things, and I also deserve what you are offering new clients too.

I mean hell, I lost my unlimited data plan back when I moved over from the blackberry on the old network to get onto the new network for the iphone, the least they could do is acknowledge that...
also - they don't have any system in place (or claim not to) to see way back into your old account records, so when I talked about "clearnet", they basically said I couldn't prove that, and more or less implied I was lying about how long I'd been a client - good times.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
According to the contract, you are allowed to change your plan twice a year without cost (every change after that is $10), so you can upgrade to the $65 plan and then you can ask to get the extra data and Telus should not be able to b*tch about it.

I might do this when the official 2.2 comes for the milestone (hopefully q4 2010 but more likely q1 2011) for the internet tethering for my laptop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...just to update you, they did deny me.

I got fed up and tried to change my plan to the $65 one on-line, but that was denied too...apparently they don't want my money.:)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You need to call and ask for the retentions department. That is unacceptable. Mt fiance just changed her plan with no issues at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Brutal !!!

If you google "Telus extra 5GB plan" you'll find (on mobilesyrup I think) a copy of the internal Telus memo to their dealers and sales reps saying this plan is for new customers only. The memo says if existing customers ask for the plan, the rep should "follow their existing escalation process for renewals".

My own experience with the "escalation process", as a Telus customer no longer under contract, was that they denied me the plan repeatedly even after I "escalated" to the point of threatening to leave. In the end I had to leave for Bell who gave me 6GB for $30 plus a minimal voice plan for another $30... all in all equivalent to the Telus offer I could not "escalate" myself into.

These companies are brutal: they incentivize their sales reps solely on new customers switching over, they don't care about existing customers. I live in Calgary where there is a chronic shortage of iPhone 4's. Bell got me my iPhone 4 in less than 24 hrs just because I was a Telus customer. Meanwhile their own customers have to wait 2 - 4 weeks.

Brutal, I am so sick of all of them... but I love my new toy... and my new plan.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
HD Addict....

it's nothing new.....

Just because the 'Future is Friendly', doesn't mean the present is.....

I suppose there is always hope.

I'm going to check for that memo.

P

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I am coming near the end of my contract and it seems Telus currently has the worst new and retention plans going. I am likely to stay with Rogers, but wanted to look at Telus to bundle all my home services. Guess not.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I signed with Telus in June for 3 year plan on my IPhone. In August they came out with a better plan, and I called to ask if I could have it. Absolutely not is what I was told. New customers only!!

I phoned when I saw the 5GB plan, as the ad clearly said "New Activations Only" not new customers. I was willing to resign a 3 year contract from that date forward. They told me it was not available, that I didn't need it based on my past usage over the last 4 months or so, and that I shouldn't call looking for these promotions because "I was wasting my time". I couldn't believe it.

The rules need to be changed so that any promotions are offered to current customers as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Condescending

Willise,

That's what ticked me off too, when they tried to tell me what I need and what I don't need... I mean geez, we're not in the good ol' USSR here, we're in a free market where the customer decides what he needs. If you can't give me the plan, just say so, don't take it to that next level where you are essentially calling me "stupid" 'cause I don't know what I need. Once you take it there, you've made it personal, so I'll never buy anything from your sorry-a** company again!!!!!

Unfortunately this will not change until the majority of consumers realizes that loyalty to a single company means nothing anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts