Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was VERY close to pulling the trigger and moving to Shaw.

Don't know if I made the right deal.

I wanted to know more about optik tv and internet? I hear there is optik internet and then just the normal one they usually give.

Which is better to get? My worry was that I have 4 tv's and buying 4 boxes is not cheap. Though on a contract deal I could get 3 boxes (2 HD + xbox). However, I heard if the boxes are on then your internet slows down?

I usually have at least 1-2 tv's on with someone at home watching tv. And at least 1-2 people on the internet always. (yes I have a big family)

So my concern was that it might not be a great solution. That is since shaw is giving me 2 digital boxes free and the speed wouldn't be effected.

So is it true about the slow down? If I have 2 boxes on and 2 people on the internet. I assume it would be slow?

I am kinda reconsidering the deal I took with Shaw.

Shaw charges $99.90 for the 3 bundled services and Telus quoted $86 for all 3.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
The performance of your internet connection will depend on the line speed you can get at or your location. It can be:
15 Mbps (1HD/2SD)
19 Mbps (2HD/1SD)
26 Mbps (3HD/1SD)

With the 3HD/1SD profile you will still get close to 15 Mbps internet speed with all your TVs in use. You can watch programs from the PVR on any of the other STBs which doesn't impact your internet speed. You can check the profile you qualify for at the Telus web site or by calling Telus.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep. What the good Doctor just said.
Find out what profile you are eligible for and that will really determine the speed you are getting.

I recently had Telus Optik installed and am on a 3HD profile. I have no issues with slow internet speed with three TV's on, a laptop surfing the web and my desktop downloading.

For contrast, the Shaw node in my area is very busy, I live in a townhouse and there are a few other complexes around us so it is high density living at it's finest. Add to that that most people are still on Shaw as the Telus 3HD profile just became available in our area. After work between 5 - 10 pm I was lucky to pull 10mbps as there were so many people active and presumably a lot of gaming and downloading going on. While that doesn't directly impact a Shaw connection they do use certain management tools at the node to regulate connections such as traffic shaping and so forth. With Telus I am consistently at around 15mbps. Last night I had the hockey game on in HD on two TV's and the news in SD on another. Did a speed test and pulled 14.2mbps.

So bottom line for you is check what profile Telus has available in your area. If you are 2HD or 3HD profile I would go with Telus hands down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, may be a dumb question, but how would I know what profile I am eligible for? If I called Telus, would they tell me this?

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
@darbee, you can check on the Telus web site or phone them. They will tell you how many HD and SD streams you can get at once. See my post above for the corresponding profile.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The performance of your internet connection will depend on the line speed you can get at or your location. It can be:
15 Mbps (1HD/2SD)
19 Mbps (2HD/1SD)
26 Mbps (3HD/1SD)

With the 3HD/1SD profile you will still get close to 15 Mbps internet speed with all your TVs in use. You can watch programs from the PVR on any of the other STBs which doesn't impact your internet speed. You can check the profile you qualify for at the Telus web site or by calling Telus.
There is also a 32MB profile for 3HD\1SD.

·
Registered
241 Posts
They're the same profile. The 15 meg, 19.4 meg VDSL and the 25.25 meg are floating profiles and will sync faster if possible. The 19.2 meg ADSL2+ profile is the only fixed profile.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i6s1,
What does floating profile mean? If currently you're on ADSL 19.2 and your area has VDSL, will it automatically move you over the 26.2?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts