Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a somewhat surprising move, Telus has resurrected the old brand Clearnet as a new budget carrier. Set to compete against the new entrant carriers along with Bell's Solo and Rogers' Chatr brands, the new Clearnet will offer no contract unlimited talk and text plans.

Currently available only in Alberta and British Columbia, Clearnet has two handsets in their lineup, an LG flip and a Samsung QWERTY slider. Their first smartphone, the low-cost Samsung Galaxy Apollo, is coming soon, suggesting data may soon be offered. In an unusual move, Clearnet will, for now, attempt to operate without a brick and mortar presence.

Telus's venture into the unlimited market at this point is somewhat surprising. While other established players Bell and Rogers introduced their discount brands months ago, Telus chose to stand pat. The change in strategy may be attributable to recent launches by new entrant Mobilicity in Telus' Western Canadian homebase, or it may be a sign of increased wariness of the new entrants in general.

The move corresponds with a shift by Telus' other discount brand, Koodo Mobile, toward higher end offerings. Following the introduction of more robust data offerings, Koodo has recently added the Blackberry Curve 9300 and the Android-powered LG Optimus One to its lineup, and will add the Samsung Nexus S on April 14.

The addition of Clearnet gives Telus 4 brands in its stable (Telus, Mike, Koodo, and Clearnet), the most of any of the major Canadian companies.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I doubt they'll be offering data packages any time soon. Once they start doing that, I don't think there would be any way to distinguish Clearnet from Koodo (or the main Telus brand for that matter).

Having all these subcarriers is likely to start getting confusing (as if it wasn't already).

·
Super Moderator
16,891 Posts
The Clearnet "Plans" web page says "Data add-on coming soon".

The interesting thing about the Clearnet plans is they bundle in the home phone service (which is why it's only available in BC and AB). I suspect they do this to take the load off the wireless network. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do if you want 2 Clearnet cellphones in one household.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I also don't understand what the "home phone included" really means. I pay for a Koodo phone for my Mom, $55 with unlimited LD, so this would be a great option, paying for a home phone as well.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I looked at their site couple days ago, was let down with the lack of data at this time, but yes if its available in the near future that would be great as I do have an unlocked iphone 4. But the plans are still on the pricy side compared to mobilicity. I have a good plan now 63\month for nationwide my10, voicemail, caller id, unlimited calling at 6pm 1gb data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts