1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I'm not saying this isn't a good thing, but they are jumping on the green bandwagon for PR reasons.

The real reason for it is simple economics. It costs a bunch of money to cool these places so saving energy = saving money.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marketing your product by dramatically reducing your electricity usage and costs is perfectly legitimate and should be applauded.

If you review the Google website link that I posted, you'll find that Google has really made huge strides in reducing electricity consumption etc. That is one more reason why I feel comfortable using the Google search engine.

Frankly, I'll never get tired of reading meaningful Green press releases. By meaningful, I mean ones that genuinely lead to a "lighter" environmental impact.

Conversely, I will be highly critical of companies who publish press releases that are meaningless crap. i.e./ we'll recycle your CRT tv if you spend $2,000 on our new overpriced flat panel tv.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I think this has been a very popular business practice lately, and it's very beneficial from both a financial and marketing perspective. Data centres for large companies can cost quite a lot of money to run and maintain. When you figure in power consumption, redundancies, backups, and even the physical floor space needed to house all the servers.

Beyond that, some of the more innovative companies out there (and I'm proud to say the one I work is one of them) are exploring powering data centres using solar/wind generating stations built directly at the site (where feasible) i.e. solar panels on rooftops, or windmills on adjacent land.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
At the financial institution I work at, we had to build a 2nd computing center North of the city - partly for business continuity reasons, but also because we've tapped out the power grid where the original facility sits. There are lots of LEEDs related inititives in progress here as a result - and of course it all ties into the "green" aspect as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts