Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
upload speeds on ADSL greater than the 0.800 Mb/s I currently get?

You can pay for faster download, but I would trade some download speed for better upload speed. Makes Slingbox much more viable...

·
Registered
125 Posts
For residential packages, I don't think so but I haven't checked what they have lately. I have the 6Mbps/1Mbps package, and at first I only got less than 500kbps. Tech Support (1st tier) was no help, claimed that 70% of 512kbps is good enough on their books for my 1Mbps package (meaning that 35% of performance level is good enough on their books).

Not until I beg Customer Service to get me to Tier 2 so I can try to convince Tier 2 to do something for me, and even that took some begging and reasoning but eventually he backed down and helped me to troubleshoot it. Eventually he got me a different profile called the Error Correction Profile and suddenly I can do 800kbps on speed test compared to 500kbps.

However, it doesn't help my Slingbox much, I can only stream to 550kbps at the most, to a Sling Catcher on another ADSL Telus line (across the street literally), or on my Fido 3G on a laptop running Sling Player. As a comparison, before I switched to Telus, I had Shaw's Extreme-I package (15/1) (now called Extreme), and I could stream at 900kbps instead. I haven't moved back because Shaw at the time did not give me any break in the price (54$ / month on Extreme-I , I own modem), not like these days they would give customers much better pricing at least for bundling (which I have no use for).

My friend in the US can stream at speed good enough for Slingbox Pro HD if he wants on his Verizon's FiOS, although he doesn't own one.

Can you stream at 800kbps or your speed test showing 800kbps?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Telus has an unadvertised "High Speed 25" for people who don't have Optik TV. It has 2-3 Mbps of upload speed. It requires a VDSL port to be available in your area, and a VDSL modem (Actiontec/Cellpipe). Unfortunately the non-bundled cost is around $66/month.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fortissimo, I haven't figured out the streaming speed directly, however my speedtests come in at that speed, so I would assume streaming is a little less with overhead.

$66/mo is a little steep for the few times I really need to sling something. I just find it frustrating that in Canada we are really getting jammed on the value equation for internet services.

I was in a discussion on a golf board of all things and a bunch of folks posted their speedtest speeds for home service. A lot of them were 3 to 5 mb/s UPLOAD and 25 or more download.

With 3 to 5 mb/s upload, you can stream HD nicely. And it appears that cable in Canada doesn't get you there either.

ugh...

·
Registered
13 Posts
The way ADSL works, you wont get much more than 800k. Im on a VDSL port and my uploads speeds are around 1-1.5mbps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts