Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have Optic TV but have been holding out on switching from Shaw BB50 internet in the hope that Telus would get FTTH to us soon.

I am running out of patience with Shaw, though, so we may switch before FTTH is available.

I am looking for opinions on Telus 50 & Optic TV and if there are bandwidth issues with both the TV and internet going through the same limited copper.

Has anyone here moved from Shaw BB50 to Telus 50 with Optic TV? Any comparisons?

Thanks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had read some posts on this forum saying that you can get the internet 50 using a bonded pairs. Call Telus and they can tell you whether you can get the internet 50 to your house.

I am on internet 25 using copper ATM. I was told that I can get internet 50 using bonded pairs because of the short distance between my house and the nearest Telus box.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have called Telus a couple of times to confirm that the best I can get at my location is Internet 50. But I assume that is sharing it with the TV feed. I just don't want to end up with a situation where we have a problem with internet and TV performance when using both at the same time as that is what happens in our house most of the time (multiple people on Internet, watching on HD channel and possibly recording another HD channel).

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
As TechGuy8 mentioned, the speed you are able to get on copper will depend on the distance from your house to the node. Depending on the distance, Telus may provide a bonded connection, which uses 2 lines to approximately double the connection speed. For the last few years Telus has upgraded their infrastructure and quoted the true internet speed (not counting the portion used by Optik TV.) For example, if your modem syncs at 70 Mbps, you will get about 20 Mbps for 4 HD TV streams and 50 Mbps for internet.

The Telus modems provide QoS so that in the event there is a problem with the line the TV packets will take priority over internet traffic.

Here's a thread from the Optik TV section that might interest you.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/187-telus-iptv-also-known-optik-tv/223001-optiktv-4hd-streams-rollout.html

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The switch has been made to Telus internet. It was a fairly painless transition. We did end up with bonded pair (copper) and a new T2200H modem. The set up of bridging was dead simple to implement (just click Yes), and as a result our home network now works better than it did on our Shaw setup. And the speed test looks good -- just over 50 down and 10 up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts