Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Can't Find Hardware Manuals on the Telus Web Site...

I'm seriously thinking of moving from Shaw Direct to Optik TV. I'm looking for manuals on the Telus site specifically that show the connections on the rear of the 4K PVR and the wireless box. I want to see what connections are on the PVR in particular. I'm sure they're up on the site *somewhere*, but I can't find them.

Also, re: the 4K wireless box, if I have it, that means if I have a non-4K TV in the kitchen, I can watch recordings, live TV, whatever that are on the PVR even when the PVR's in the bedroom. That's right, isn't it? I'm a bit confused by the description for the 4K wireless box. I'm under the impression I can watch all recordings on the PVR that *aren't* 4K on the kitchen TV using the wireless box. Is it clear what I'm asking?

I've had Telus Internet for ages and never had difficulty finding things on the site, but this is confounding me for some reason...

·
Registered
545 Posts
The 4K PVR I have is the Arris VIP5662w...Google it to get the PDF.
Yes you can watch everything on any wireless box (Arris VIP5602w) that you can on the PVR whether 4K or not.

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts
@TheHans Here is the link for the 4K Optik Self-Install Kit which includes a diagram of the back of the 4K wireless STB (same as PVR.)

Here are the spec sheets from the manufacturer's web site that contain photographs of the back of the hardware:
VIP5662 UHD Mediaroom® DVR | ARRIS
VIP5602 UHD Mediaroom® Set-Top | ARRIS

You will be able to watch HD and SD recordings from the PVR on any STB and pause live HD shows which will buffer the stream to the hard drive on the PVR. The only place you can watch recorded 4K programs is on the PVR which you plan to put in your bedroom. Most people would put the 4K PVR in the main living area so they can watch 4K recordings there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I got the regular HD wireless box replaced by a 4k wireless box when i renewed the 2 year term.
The TV it is connected to isn't 4k.

The problem I am having is the hdmi connection works fine for a few days, but after a few days when i turn on the tv, I will get a black screen, no signal. I have to remove the hdmi cable from the tv and insert it back again, and then the connection works instantly. However after a few days I have to do this again. Some kind of handshake issue I presume?

I tried changing hdmi cables but it did not fix the problem. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Turn the TV on first, wait a few seconds, then turn on the box, this should solve the handshake issue. Also, if there are output settings you can choose in the box, choose 1080P or 1080i if you don't have a 4K TV.

I believe Telus gets its HD channel signals from Bell, so they come into the box as 720P and you might be best off choosing 720P as the output format.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

Feel free to experiment.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I did try changing the output to 720p but that didn't help.

I'll try waiting a few seconds to turn on the box though and see if it helps

·
Registered
551 Posts
@TheHans Here is the link for the 4K Optik Self-Install Kit which includes a diagram of the back of the 4K wireless STB (same as PVR.)
Thanks tons @Dr.Dave! The disconnect for me was that I didn't know the wireless box has the same configuration as the PVR. So no use of component cables without some adapter. And you can attach the PVR to the fibre optics directly OR go wirelessly. Is that right?

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts
I don't know if Telus does wireless installations for the PVR. I know it's possible, but some people prefer the PVR to be hard-wired because of the amount of data that goes through it. Hard-wired installations just use a Cat 5e internet cable to connect the PVR to the router.

Are you saying that you have a TV that doesn't have HDMI? Some providers supply a breakout cable for component if needed, but I don't know if Telus does.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Turn the TV on first, wait a few seconds, then turn on the box, this should solve the handshake issue. Also, if there are output settings you can choose in the box, choose 1080P or 1080i if you don't have a 4K TV.

I believe Telus gets its HD channel signals from Bell, so they come into the box as 720P and you might be best off choosing 720P as the output format.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

Feel free to experiment.

Tried all that, didn't fix the issue

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
@DIGITALEight: Have you upgraded the TV to the latest firmware? Sometimes firmware incompatibility may cause an issue with handshakes. I'm surprised though that it takes a few days to become a problem. I would have thought it would be a problem whenever you turn on both devices...

·
Registered
403 Posts
@DIGITALEight: Have you upgraded the TV to the latest firmware? Sometimes firmware incompatibility may cause an issue with handshakes. I'm surprised though that it takes a few days to become a problem. I would have thought it would be a problem whenever you turn on both devices...
it's a 10 yr old TV, I'm not sure how to even update firmware since it doesn't have a usb port.

Some observations though:

when I change the output of the Telus box to 4k, I get a black screen on my TV (different from no signal). When I change it to 720p or 1080p, it works fine.
This is the same thing as the handshake issue - I noticed that when the problem occurs after a few days, I'm getting a black screen.

Could it be possible the box is resetting to 4k mode temporarily when I turn it on and it's getting stuck there and not actually outputting 720p?

61 - 72 of 72 Posts