Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance, Dr.Dave, because I thought this might not comply with the CRTC ruling. I’m fairly new to Telus, so I’ve been keeping my eye on my data usage. Almost every night I’m watching some Netflix or CraveTV (which I prefer to watch on my Apple TV).

Going by your numbers, I should be fine with my allotment of 450 GB, although there are two computers, iPads and cell phones using the data, too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
YouTube for the Optik 4K boxes is now live. I haven’t had a chance to test it out, but it’s a welcome app to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: meshmellow

·
Registered
1 Posts
Telus 4K PVR

Only box that is wired in. and when I turn off the tv, and leave it off for 30 seconds to a minute. It gets either stuck at a black screen, or no signal. But when I restart the box itself, it boots, TV gets signal and everything is fine untill the TV is off for approximatley 30 seconds to a minute. Already had a guy come in and replace the box and all the cables etc. Trying to find out if anyone can point me in the right direction since I cant be asked to be on the phone for 2 hours, three times in a row with issues that I have since I switched to Telus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Telus 4k is very limited right now. That's not Telus' fault but broadcasters are still using ATSC 1.0 which is 720p/1080i. ASTC 2.0 wasn't used in favour of ATSC 3.0 which supports 4K at 60p. As of right now you basically get from Telus Netflix in 4K, Sportsnet 4K, TSN 4K,Stingray 4K and On Demand 4K movies. ATSC 3.0 was just recently approved so hopefully next year we start to see more 4K broadcasts. I'm guessing 2 more years from now until we get more 4k content via broadcasts.

Sports limited to Raptor, Bluejays, Toronto Maple Leafs, Ottawa Senators and some CFL games. Those out of market areas like BC cannot watch any of the Toronto or Ottawa games in 4K due to blackouts.

I've seen Raptor games in 4K and they look amazing! Movement is so much better in terms of clarity! I just wish Telus had as good of picture quality compared to Shaw for regular HD. Personally I think Hockey looks a lot better on Shaw. Telus' picture seems softer and more blurry during scenes with movement. I believe Telus compresses their signal more that Shaw.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Do we know if any of upcoming "big" events (Winter Olympics in South Korea and World Cup in Russia) will be shown in 4K in Canada. I guess it will be "limited", just like Rio in 2016, but just how "limited"?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Any news of some new 4K channels coming to Optik this year? Or for that matter, more content?

·
Registered
19 Posts
4K Box Speed

Hey everyone,

Last night I switched on my TV and the 4K Box had the initializing screen up. Within a minute or two the box was functional and allowed me to start using it to watch my recordings. However, now the fast-forward, rewind etc. are very slow to respond. Prior (earlier in the day) it was instant I could click fast forward multiple times and it would instantly change. Now there is almost a full second delay before the screen updates where the program is currently fast forwarded to.

I have restarted the box, unplugged for ten minutes.

Does anyone know of a recent update being scheduled or should I be contacting Telus support?

It's a minor inconvenience but quite annoying.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
737 Posts
There was an update few nights ago. Friend of mine asked me the same question. Told him to reboot, but did not hear back. So, you are not alone.

I, on the other hand, have different issue since update. Whenever I switch channels, after about 15-25 seconds I now get 1 second freeze or pixelation. Is it possible that happens when they switch from unicast to multicast?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I noticed the 4K box responding a little slower, but nothing too bad. I did notice that on the Netflix app it has HDR now! I was wondering if that was going to happen. Or has that been there before this update? My Sony TV just had a update a few weeks ago as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I also noticed that FF and Rewind on recorded programs is very laggy since yesterday...very annoying.

I just read they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix in future update. Hopefully very soon!

Reactions: Confuzzeled23

·
Registered
60 Posts
"...1. Internet 50
TELUS Internet 50 is required to ensure you get the speed you need to enjoy 4K programming. Note: 4K programming takes up almost 4 times the bandwidth as HD. With TELUS Internet 50 you will have enough bandwidth to watch 4K and surf the internet with no loss of performance..."

Netflix 4k with HDR/DolbyVision maxes out at just over 15 Mbps, so my Internet 25 has tonnes of headroom. Not sure why Telus requires such high bandwidth -- likely to pad the coffers. Netflix has far superior 1080p PQ on SDR programming as compared to Telus SDR's 720p, and i don't think it's just the difference in resolution. The Netflix SDR tops out under 6 Mbps. This is comparing the Telus 4k box to the built in NF app on my LG OLED TV. I'd be happy if Telus reduced the extreme compression on HD programming to fix the problem of the actors' faces looking like hard plastic. Netflix can do it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"...1. Internet 50
TELUS Internet 50 is required to ensure you get the speed you need to enjoy 4K programming. Note: 4K programming takes up almost 4 times the bandwidth as HD. With TELUS Internet 50 you will have enough bandwidth to watch 4K and surf the internet with no loss of performance..."

Netflix 4k with HDR/DolbyVision maxes out at just over 15 Mbps, so my Internet 25 has tonnes of headroom. Not sure why Telus requires such high bandwidth -- likely to pad the coffers. Netflix has far superior 1080p PQ on SDR programming as compared to Telus SDR's 720p, and i don't think it's just the difference in resolution. The Netflix SDR tops out under 6 Mbps. This is comparing the Telus 4k box to the built in NF app on my LG OLED TV. I'd be happy if Telus reduced the extreme compression on HD programming to fix the problem of the actors' faces looking like hard plastic. Netflix can do it.
I'm no expert but I have used Handbrake to encode my own videos. I can get higher quality and/or smaller files with two-pass encoding. I think Netflix would really squish their file sizes down and keep PQ as high as possible given that they have time to do so. I don't think Telus has the luxury of time to max out PQ or reduce bitrate on live TV. I don't watch on demand, but I wonder if PQ is better there.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Just switched from Shaw to optik 4k setup-gots some questions

Super happy so far-more channels, better content, better picture(IMO) and way better deal.
No complaints anywhere on this forum lately or is everyone as happy as I am?
Couple questions...I've noticed when I watch netflix via channel 422 my 4k terminal re-boots in the middle of what Im watching but if I launch it thru the app it works fine. (will call Telus eventually on that one)
Is there frequent software/firmware updates? Sometimes Ive noticed setting changes or my 4k PVR is powered on by itself which could be from updates maybe....how do I tell what firmware I have?

So far so good- I should of switched a long time ago........
Thanx in advance

·
Registered
95 Posts
netflix issue fixed by phone rep with a update to one of my boxes. All working wonderfully now. Super happy!!

Good to hear there is a fix for this. I always boot it through the app menu. Very happy with Optik TV, just waiting for more 4K content and channels. It's like the days when HD was just starting out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
4K box freezing on playing recordings

I'm basically having the exact same problem as this post:
https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet...PVR-and-hit-play-have-to-reboot-to/td-p/85653

And it's only starting happening about a week or so ago. Has anyone else run into this? Not sure if there have been any recent software updates.

Calling tech support hasn't been that useful as they want me to run me through a reboot. And obviously a reboot is what fixes the problem and then I run into it again the next day.

Recordings and watching live TV are still very responsive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I haven't had this issue with playing my recordings. I hope this wasn't caused by a recent firmware update.

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts
TELUS launches breathtaking 4K HDR TV - A first in Canada

April 19, 2018 – TELUS has again raised the bar for TV in Canada with the launch of 4K HDR on Optik TV. Already the only TV provider in Western Canada to offer live and On Demand 4K content, TELUS is now the only to support 4K HDR, providing Optik TV customers an unmatched TV experience.

For a limited time, new Optik TV and Internet customers who sign up on a two-year term can receive a free 50” LG 4K HDR Smart TV to enjoy the stunning picture quality 4K HDR offers.

4K HDR boasts the capability to display more than a billion colours for a more vivid, immersive picture than ever before. 4K HDR dramatically enhances the picture quality of existing 4K technology by improving the colour contrast range with millions of additional colour options to each individual pixel. On-screen colours appear richer and more precise while objects have more depth for an even more realistic, lifelike picture.

“We are dedicated to ensuring that Optik TV customers have access to cutting-edge entertainment technologies. 4K HDR, enriching the viewing experience with more than a billion available colours, is the new gold standard in TV picture quality,” said Zainul Mawji, VP of Home Solutions & Complementary Channels at TELUS. “Optik TV customers already enjoy access to the largest PVR capacity, the most On Demand titles and innovative features like Restart TV, a built-in YouTube app and the TELUS-exclusive Healthy Living Network. Being first in Canada to offer 4K HDR is further proof of our commitment to provide Western Canada’s best entertainment experience.”

Optik TV customers can currently enjoy 4K HDR content On Demand, with titles like Blue Planet II and Planet Earth II, plus blockbusters like Justice League, Dunkirk and Blade Runner 2049. A growing catalogue of 4K HDR-compatible titles can be accessed by pressing the On Demand button on Optik TV remote and choosing the 4K HDR folder within the Featured section. Netflix subscribers with Premium Accounts can also stream 4K HDR content through the built-in Netflix app on Optik TV.

To experience 4K HDR, TELUS customers need a 4K HDR-capable TV, a TELUS 4K PVR and TELUS Internet 50 or higher.

More information can be found at telus.com/4KHDR.

·
Registered
598 Posts
In the past month and a half, there's a couple of supposed 4K Stingray music channelsin, IIRC, the 500 range. Very nice picture clarity and sound.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts