Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
digao,

Can you link where you found that $4 discount you mentioned. I`ve never heard of that.

I have Your Pick HD and Movie pack 6, so you may save me some $ :)

merve04 did ask `Are movies included when you sub to 9 themes? ` Thats who my post was intended to answer.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pricing Adjustment on Hardware

Thanks to others that posted the new harware pricing I called Telus and was able to get them to change my harware pricing. I'm in the second year of a three year contract and was getting a free PVR rental. Now I'm also getting two free HD box rentals and the third HD box for $5 per month. My bill just got $25 a month lighter! They also gave me a two month credit for the $25 price adjustment ($50 total).

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just wanted to add in some of the latest things:

-CBC Punjabi Hockey is on 131, part of Essentials
-Baby TV is added to Family, English - 78, Mandarin - 79.
-Baby TV French - 419, in the Famille theme pack
-OWN added to Learning HD, 651

Current free previews:

Till April 26
i Channel. 98

May 2
bpm:tv, 251

May 5
WildTV HD, 654

June 21
Cricket Plus, 529

July 19
Baby TV (English) 78
Baby TV (French) 419
Baby TV (Mandarin) 79

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to pipe in that I've been wrestling with Telus since Friday about their essentials price increase. As stated earlier in this thread, we were informed that "Effective April 1, 2011 the regular monthly rate for The Essentials will be $31/month. If you are in a Rate Protection Plan, you will not be affected by this increase until your term expires. Existing bundle discounts still apply. To see if you are in a Essentials Rate Protection Plan, please look for the phrase “Essentials – 1/2/3 Year Term” beside the TELUS TV item on your bill. Existing bundle discounts still apply." My bill specifically said essential - 3 year term $28.00. When I called on Friday about the new $31.00 price I was told by the agent that no one is rate protected. I directed her to their website and she went "oh you're absolutely right, but I'll need to transfer you to Loyalty but their are closed for the holidays". I called back today and was asked whether I receive a paper bill or e-bill. It appears that Telus has changed their website to remove that part about how to tell if you are in a rate protection plan! Check it out. I wonder if anyone that receives a paper bill if they remember how they were notified of the price increases? Is there any documentation that collaborates the original wording?

After expressing my disgust I was forwarded to loyalty who said they could discount my essentials by $3/mth for the next 12 months. Better than nothing, but I believe this is very poor business practices from Telus that they are refusing to honour their rate protection plans, and actually amending the wording on their website to make it impossible for anyone to know if they even ARE in a rate protection plan. I filed a complaint with CRTC and forwarded my local newspaper because this is shady.

·
Registered
376 Posts
FWIW, after reading this thread it made me check my paper bill wrt Telus TV. Mine does indeed say that "...effective April 1 the monthly rate for Essentials will increase by $3 per month". However, the next sentence states "Since you are in a TV rate protection plan, you will not be affected by this increase until your term expires". I am in a 3 year term (effective last August) and purchased my 3 boxes outright.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just called Telus and was told by a CSR that it was an increase across the board and the fact that I just signed up with Telus in December didn't matter. Asked to cancel my account and was transferred to Loayalty Dept. The rep told me that she would credit me the $5 ($2 for Internet/$3 for TV) for the remainder of my contracts (2yrs/Internet and 3yrs/TV).

·
Registered
458 Posts
just checked mine. i have the phrase "essentials 3y plan" last bill it was 28. now at 31
and the internet when from 42 to 44.
what is the point of this 3 yr contract again? Telus can raise the price any time they want but if i want to cancel i have to pay a penalty. never again will i enter into any contract such as this.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Blintok,

That was the same argument I made with the Loyalty Rep. She said that the contract I signed for the TV was so that I would get the $15 credit and the contract for the Internet was for the Xbox that I received. I told her that the $15 credit I am getting for the PVR rental is now only $10 with these new price increases. She said she would apply the credit for both services for the remainder of the term.

Call them and ask if you can this increase refunded.

·
Banned
548 Posts
I was aways given the impression that the Optik TV sevice agreements were for a $5, $10, or $15 credit towards monthly STB rental ONLY.

$5/month for 1 year, $10/month for 2 years and $15/month for 3 years. There was never anything that implied a price protection element. To answer Blintok, the reason you would enter into a 3 year contract is to save $540.00 in STB rental over the term. Seems simple enough reason for me.

If you buy your STBs the credit is non transferable, and will not apply. This is why I recommend customers rent their PVR if they sign up for 3 years and only buy any additional 330s to save the rental. Now that 330s are only $5/month it will take even longer to pay back a 330 purchase by offsetting the rent. If your intention is to buy your STBs then there seems no good reason to sign up for a service agreement IMO.

I will get some clarity on this and post the info I receive.

I am dissapointed however that TELUS decided to apply this rate increase April 1 since the brochures and material provided to us techs for distribution to our customers clearly stated the prices quoted were good until May 3! I have pointed this out several times in meetings and have had no good answer as to why this is done and how it affects this previous advertising. Its distressing that the people who set the prices seem oblivious to the prices specified in distributed literature provide by TELUS marketing, that clearly said good until May 3 2011. I can understand that prices will increase over time, but in this case it should not have occured until May 4 or afterward, not April 1.

Of course that's just my opinion, and I am after all just a wiremonkey.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
39 Posts
just checked mine. i have the phrase "essentials 3y plan" last bill it was 28. now at 31
and the internet when from 42 to 44.
what is the point of this 3 yr contract again? Telus can raise the price any time they want but if i want to cancel i have to pay a penalty. never again will i enter into any contract such as this.
The point of the 1-2-3 year contract is so that Telus recoups the cost of the equipment which they are giving you for free. It's just like when you enter a similar cell phone contract. Just because Rogers is giving you a free iPhone on a 3 year contract doesn't preclude them from raising their monthly rates.

HOWEVER. Telus did fudge up here (and are probably now regretting it) because they ALSO stated they would hold the bundle rates at the same price for the contract term. Even if they had of told me at the time of sign up that bundle rates were not "locked in" I still would have signed up because of the hundreds of dollars I'm saving over having to buy the equipment. PLUS, at the end of the 3 years do you really think they'll want the free X-Box 360 they gave me back if I cancel? Doubtful. They may not even want the PVR box back, although that is more unlikely as they can refurbish that a lot easier than a 3 year old X-Box.

·
Registered
458 Posts
so looking at the Optik tv terms of service.
http://telus.com/content/tv/optik/clients/service-terms.jsp
i see...

"TELUS reserves the right to amend these Service Terms, including rates and additional charges, at any time by giving 30 days notice"

so they can change the rules of the game any time they want.

but if you do not agree to the amendment..

"You are not obliged to continue using the Services after an amendment to the Service Terms is made; however, in the event you choose not to accept the changes, your sole remedy is to cancel the Services, effective at the end of your current billing period."

so, does this mean, that one could cancel the service after such an amendment? and would the cancellation penalties be not valid?

·
Banned
548 Posts
Terms of Service (ToS) and Service Agreement (SA) are two distinctly different things.

You are expected to have read the ToS before you enter into a SA. An SA in no way negates or changes the ToS, they are unrelated. The ToS are the ToS, SA or not.

As the ToS states, TELUS can change the terms at any time, your sole remedy is to discontinue service. If you have a SA, then yes you will pay a penalty. The ToS was there before you agreed to the SA, so it is incumbent upon you to know what it is your agreeing to when you agree to a SA.

If you chose a 3 year SA then you agreed to stay with TELUS for the term of the SA (3 years) and it is assumed you are aware of the TOS when you agree to the SA, if you leave you incur a penaly of $10/month for each remaining month of your SA.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
85 Posts
So can you have Telus Optik TV but opt out of the phone and internet side of service?

To date, this has been decent for us, but in the last two weeks, at least a few times a week, it all goes down, take phone/TV/internet with it. At the very least I'd rather get my internet from somewhere else if its going to be spotty.

·
Banned
548 Posts
ryankenn;

Yes you can.

If you're losing your phone service please call in. There is no way you should be losing service repeatedly. Please call in or PM me your TN. I'm working in your area and can try to have a look.

Your issue is unacceptable, and I'd like to resolve it.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
85 Posts
It died overnight and I didn't have time to look at it until I got home ( its back behind my other components and I could see green ) but the power supply/modem section must have died. Plugged into power the two ports that have ethernet cables plugged in light green, but no other lights ever do anything other than WAN goes green for a split second upon power being plugged in. The power led, WAN, DSL, none come on.

When I say phone, we are on Vonage, so when Telus goes down, we lose it all. I re-upped with Shaw for now. I just can't trust not having all three services for 1.5 days should it come to that. The tech will be out tomorrow ( lovely 8am - 5pm so my wife and child get to waste the day waiting ) and I'm sure he'll just swap it out. I had Shaw for 10 years and the modem never had issue, I've had Telus 2 months and I'm down one already. Not promising.

Its more suitable in the complaint thread but the phone tech asked me what modem I have. Since Telus installed it, and has provided service to it for 2 months, I would have hoped they could tell me, not the other way around.

**EDIT** Thanks for the offer btw Wiremonkey. I had the card of the installer we had who was great but lost it, otherwise I would have phoned him and I'm sure we could have had a quicker swapout.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 PVRs FREE with 3 year plan???

Last night a guy from Telus came to our door and offered us 2 free PVRs(not rentals) as well as a 3 year free rental on a 3rd PVR, free modem(not rental) and free Xbox if we sign up on their 3 year contract(the promotion on their web site). The problem is on the official Telus web site there is no mention of 2 free PVRs, anywhere. I am wondering if this is a scam.
Has anyone else been offered this? If you have what happened?

81 - 100 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.