Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of February 5th Telus 100Mbs will be available to Gpon/Fibre customers. 100 megs down 20 megs up. $90/m as standalone service or $85/m if bundled with OptikTV.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I'm curious what the actual speeds will be, because I'm getting 70/17 on my "50/10" package. What is the bandwidth cap for that package?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I've said it before, but if Telus is willing to create Gpon/Fiber only plans, why not make one that is faster than the top speeds provided by Shaw. You know, for marketing reasons.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
True Shaw markets BB250, My buddy installs for Shaw, he said I was the only person he ever hooked up to get BB100, Telus just needs to offer it few will get it.

Shaw has had people convinced cable internet is better for years and the numbers they throw around arent helping telus. I even made the switch to Shaw. Now that I'm back on Telus I don't ever see myself going back.

Its just too bad I live in a neighborhood built in the 70's with all direct buried cable and phone, the chances of me getting fiber and 100 from Telus are slim to none for probably 10 years or more

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Shaw might offer BB250 but how often would you see the actual speeds? WHen I was on Shaw the only time I got the speeds I paid for was very late at night or early in the morning, their network was so clogged at other times I got half the paid for speeds. A quick internet search shows this is the same for BB250 with many users never seen the speed they pay for.

Telus might not offer the same high speeds but at least you get the speeds you pay for (and in my case faster) for 99% of the time.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I agree, I was on BB100 and was lucky to pull 90, 10% less than advertised. On telus I consistently pull 10% more than advertised.

We pay for these government organizations, and you see all these truth in advertising ads on TV, but I've found Shaw is allowed to do and say what ever they want with no repercussions.

More than happy with Telus 50 though(was happy with 25 when that was the top), main reason reason I went to BB100 is I wasn't getting the performance I was used to with Warp(50) when I went to the cheaper BB50 which should have been renamed warp. but I'm sure there were outside factors.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
To be fair to Shaw, I'm sure they can provide BB100 and BB250 to more people than Telus can, given the limited number of Gpon/Fiber customers.

Also, I've got a number of friends who are on Shaw's BB100 plan. I can think of 5 people off the top of my head. I'm not sure how many of them are getting decent performance on their internet connection. Most people don't have the tools to do decent long-term measurements of this sort of thing.

I think the primary point against Telus is that they are really holding back when it comes to connection speed. When Shaw terminates a fiber connection, it goes at 1Gbps. When Telus terminates a fiber connection they'll soon do it ~100mbps (up from ~50-70mbps).

The thing is that since Shaw has even fewer Fiber customers than Telus, Telus could push the 1Gbps fiber thing, and make 250mbps Shaw seem "slow". It's like AMD/NVIDIA video cards. PC gamers pay attention to which company has the fastest video card in the world, even though few buy it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
In all fairness to Shaw they advertise their speed as "up to xxx Mb/s". In other words they guarantee you will not exceed advertised speed, but you may as well get only half of it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Telus advertise a minimum and maximum......for example Turbo 25 is advertised as 5 to 25 mbps, but with the following caveat "Speed and signal strength may vary with your configuration, Internet traffic, server, environmental conditions, applicable network management or other factors"

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Shaw advertises a max speed that I've never once obtained as a shaw customer.
Telus advertises a max speed that I go over on a regular basis.

Shaw should have to change its internet speed names to "BB45 and BB90 now with super slow upload speeds"

·
Registered
107 Posts
Telus 100 doesn't show yet on their BC site. I am on 50 Gpon right now (new connection) and would like to get this. Should I just call them?

·
Registered
241 Posts
It won't be on the site for some time, new speeds always soft launch. You'll have to call in. Be aware that this is only for customers on "Converged Edge" GPON. All fiber customers will be migrated to CE, but at the moment, not every GPON customer will be able to get 100mbps.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Can you tell us more about "Converged Edge" GPON? What is it, and why is it a requirement for 100mbps? Or is it just a policy thing?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't know too much about it, other than the fact that it's a faster connection to the backbone. There's nothing technical that prevents 100mbps on the non-CE, I've had to replace an old ONT with 100mbps lan ports during the employee trial in a non-CE area. The concern is just that large numbers of 100mpbs subs in those areas might saturate the connections. And there's no way to tell reps to only sell it to some people in some area.

At the moment, the 2013 sites are ready to go, as will the 2014 sites - Sunshine Coast, Tri-cities, etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You will not know unless you call in and ask. Technicians will need assistance from Tier1 to tell if the path is CE.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts