1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Initially, I would bet zero HD as well (at least until VDSL is up and running). However, there would be no analogue stations, DD 5.1 capability and I suspect there would be more a la carte and less tiering of channels. If you combine that with one box for 3 TV's and the fact that the majority of consumers are probably years away from HD, then I think the Telco's might offer a credible threat to the Cableco's

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
I live in a brand new neighborhood in Calgary and we don't have ADSL yet even though we have POTS and Shaw. I was talking to one of the TELUS techs and he wanted me to call and see if they could use one of the new VDSL amplifiers they they are going to be using in order to drive the ADSL signal from another neighborhood that had it. So it sounds like VDSL is in the future. If when they get us built out they have put in VDSL I will let you know.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I live in the area of Calgary where Telus ran fibre-optic cable to the curb (or back-alley) and was part of their multi-media trial a few years ago. During that trial I received high speed internet and digital TV. I don't know if they were using VDSL at the time, but I was impressed with both services, although their STB (especially made for the trial) kept crapping out. Human's link to the Globe and Mail suggested that Telus would be using ADSL. I'm hoping they'll go VDSL. I'm coming around to decision time. Either go with Shaw's HD service or wait for Telus to get into the game.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
You're unlikely to see more choice and less tiering. It won't be any better than the satellite companies, at the very least. These things are largely dictated by the channels and CRTC requirements, which the telcos will have to follow too.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
True. However, there is some latitude in the tiering. I had communicated with a Senior Director from Telus last year and she indicated there was some room to manuever in the 'bundling' of channels. Often they're hands are tied when they carry, say, an Alliance Atlantis channel. Carry one you have to bundle two more. But that is often open to negotiation. I quess time will tell. I hate to think that there will be the same service offering whether you choose satellite, cable or telco. So much for competition.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Obviously no HD channels to begin. That would need a 20Mbps DSL line!
Make it 22 to allow a nice ability to surf simulataneously.

VDSL isn't good enough for HD unless it is severely rate-shifted. The article said VDSL will carry three channels, two short of the bit-rate needed for HD. And you need to be within 1 Km of the CO.

HD on DSL will come, but not for a while. But I'd definitely consider it when it does.

Gary

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Nanuuk wrote:
Human's link to the Globe and Mail suggested that Telus would be using ADSL
My guess and it is just that. Is that they would probably put in VDSL any where that they are building. Then use ADSL any where that it allready exists. Like the cableco's if they want to play in all 3 worlds (voice/data/tv) there is going to be a lot of upgrading in their future.

I live in the area of Calgary where Telus ran fibre-optic cable to the curb
I remember that trial. While TELUS had lots of problems of their own Shaw also took every oportunity they could to cut through TELUS's lines when digging. The cable companies used to be terrified of the phone companies getting into cable. Now it is the other way around. The phone companies are worried about the cable companies doing Voice over IP. Which is what this is really about.

In Calgary I don't think TELUS will be a serious force in TV delivery until the day they start pulling fiber into houses. (Way off) Shaw could be great as they have built out to at least 750Mhz but they have a real bad attitude towards HDTV and service. If the share holders force Jim out, that could change. For now I felt my best choice was BEV.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
dialog_gvf said:
Obviously no HD channels to begin. That would need a 20Mbps DSL line! Make it 22 to allow a nice ability to surf simulataneously.
I believe the DTV over telephone wires that Bell is trialing in 4-5 condos in Toronto can do about 29Mbps but they are only using about 20Mbps to over 3 individual TVs + Internet (HSE) + regular telephone usage.

dialog_gvf said:
VDSL isn't good enough for HD unless it is severely rate-shifted. The article said VDSL will carry three channels, two short of the bit-rate needed for HD. And you need to be within 1 Km of the CO.
I believe that VDSL (or another form) is capable of speeds up to 50Mbps which is plenty for 1 TV with HD and several other TVs with regular reception and Internet (HSE) + regular telephone. They could also probably do 2 TVs with HD and Internet (HSE) + regular telephone with this.

You don't need to be within 1KM of the Central Office as they can just drop boxes with DSL gear at the end of your street that have fibre runs to the main CO.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
bolmsted said:
I believe the DTV over telephone wires that Bell is trialing in 4-5 condos in Toronto can do about 29Mbps but they are only using about 20Mbps to over 3 individual TVs + Internet (HSE) + regular telephone usage.
That is probably delivered by fiber to the building, and then distributed via the phone lines within the building.

bolmsted said:
I believe that VDSL (or another form) is capable of speeds up to 50Mbps which is plenty for 1 TV with HD and several other TVs with regular reception and Internet (HSE) + regular telephone. They could also probably do 2 TVs with HD and Internet (HSE) + regular telephone with this.

You don't need to be within 1KM of the Central Office as they can just drop boxes with DSL gear at the end of your street that have fibre runs to the main CO.
Well, yeah, but then we're looking at massive infrastructure upgrades by the telcos. I was looking at it from a point of view of using existing infrastructure.

But, maybe the trial you mentioned is a prelude to just that. Nortel would certainly be a darling again if the telcos starting spending for fibre optic to the pole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.