Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TekSavvy Heads West Bringing Real Choice to Consumers in Manitoba, Alberta, B.C. and Saskatchewan

March 28, 2019 - TekSavvy Solutions Inc., Canada's largest independent internet service provider, today announced the launch of its high-speed internet services into Western Canada including Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and B.C.

Customers looking for an alternative to the big guys can now choose from 4 different high-speed cable internet service packages starting at $23.95 per month. Offering speeds up to 150Mbps and unlimited usage, TekSavvy has a value option for everyone.

About TekSavvy
TekSavvy has been proudly serving Canadians with reliable telecom services for more than 20 years and has won numerous awards for the quality of its service and for its commitment to fighting for consumers' rights online. With offices in Chatham, Ontario and Gatineau, Quebec TekSavvy is Canada's largest independent telecom service company with over 300,000 customers from coast to coast.

www.teksavvy.com

·
Registered
761 Posts
This is all fluff. The big telecom companies have won by increasing the wholesale rates. There's no benefit in subscribing to third party internet providers when if you look around on the internet you can get Internet service cheaper or similar pricing from the big telecom companies, without any installation/modem fees, etc. It's terrible. The wholesale rates are too high! How does the CRTC even allow this to happen?

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Don't know what it's like out west but Rogers internet is very close in price to TSI. That's partly due to TSI price increases and partly due to Rogers lowering their prices recently. It's even closer when modem costs are factored in. Rogers prices include modem rental and it's an extra cost item with TSI. Rogers offers gigabit internet but TSI does not.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
This is all fluff. The big telecom companies have won by increasing the wholesale rates. There's no benefit in subscribing to third party internet providers when if you look around on the internet you can get Internet service cheaper or similar pricing from the big telecom companies, without any installation/modem fees, etc. It's terrible. The wholesale rates are too high! How does the CRTC even allow this to happen?
The CRTC is staffed by people who used to work for Big Telecom, so what do you expect? I mean, they've had an "interm" wholesale rate on fibre lines for quite a long time now that is so comically high that there's no possibility of a market. (I can subscribe as a residential customer for below the wholesale rate.)

It's a total joke. If the government was serious about this, they'd either burn the CRTC to the ground and start over, or they'd nationalize the infrastructure entirely ala power lines and just sell access to everybody.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you've been using it for a couple of years I'm going to assume you're paying a lower rate than you can currently get with teksavvy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been a TekSavvy customer for about four years now, generally happy with them. Just checked their prices now -- yikes! They're considerably higher than what I'm paying. So much for deals for new customers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let's not lose sight of the fact that if it weren't for TekSavvy & other third party suppliers the big three rates would be much, much higher. For this reason alone I'm a TekSavvy customer and will continue to support them even if their prices are somewhat higher.

Lowering rates to squeeze out smaller competitors who's pockets aren't as deep is a common bullying tactic by large corporate conglomerates to eliminate competition and fair pricing.

Certainly the CRTC ,who are supposed to protect the public, are a complete farce by allowing for example outrageous multi-dollar data charges for something that costs the major suppliers mere pennies/gigabyte to provide.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just did some research comparing Rogers and Teksavvy's unlimited internet packages at 150Mbps ...
Teksavvy is $25 month less than Rogers. This is including Teksavvy's additional modem rental fee (rent-to-own) to their monthly rate.

If ordered today (Jan.28, 2020) there is no modem rental fee at Teksavvy, making it over $30 less than Rogers per month.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
The difference for the 150Mbps cable internet plan is really $22. Rogers can be cheaper with promotional and bundle discounts. TSI can be cheaper with slower plans. Add monthly modem/router costs to that. TSI is $13 for the first year. Rogers is $10 ongoing. Rogers rental includes modem replacement if anything goes wrong. TSI can be slow and difficult when replacing modems under warranty.

Note that TSI does not support their modems. Need a firmware upgrade? Too bad because TSI won't do it and you often cannot do it yourself. They wouldn't even upgrade mine under warranty and they wouldn't replace it either even though I was experiencing serious internet connectivity issues. That means either buying a new router or paying to have it done. If it has to be sent away, that means no internet in the interim or buying to a spare.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wow! Sounds like you are an employee of Rogers there ExDilbert.

Funny thing, we were with Rogers for 9 years and had completely opposite experience to what you state. Same clunky modem, no upgrade. Back then, on the 20/5 plan, monthly data limit 80Gb. So I made the call to Rogers after getting competing quotes and told them what I could get elsewhere. I could hear the CSR typing madly while I dictated what my other offers were. She switched me over to retentions. Same story to that CSR. At the end of our conversation, the CSR apologized and said she was sorry she couldn't meet competing offers. We left Rogers for good and never looked back.

Now a little common sense. Rogers charges what $10/month modem rental? Multiply that by 12 months. $120/year modem rental. Now keep in mind most modems come with a one year manufacturers modem warranty (2 years with TPLink). So if you have to replace a modem at say 2 years, your money in the bank as modems don't cost more than $200 taxes in (non wireless).

Combine this with the fact that a TPIA customer can provision their own modem through their account and presto, waiting for a Rogers tech is a thing of the past!

I purchased a Motorola Surfboard 6141 3+ years ago and it is still running tickety boo. Again, money in the bank not including saving on monthly service charges.

As a Teksavvy customer, my only complaint is with Roger's poor infrastructure. The last tech that was at my house due to low upstream levels told me the infrastructure in our community is in dire need of replacement. When Rogers gets around to that is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
645 Posts
That means either buying a new router or paying to have it done. If it has to be sent away, that means no internet in the interim or buying to a spare.
Since when did Rogers start supplying routers to their customers??

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
@Gentleman :

1. The Rogers pricing always includes the modem/router now. There is no option. You cannot bring your own, although you can bridge the modem to use your own router if desired.

2. The Rogers Modem/Router is a modem/router, not just a modem. Single purpose modems (like the Surfboard) have not been an option for quite a few years.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Wow! Sounds like you are an employee of Rogers there ExDilbert.
Nope. Just a happy Rogers customer (for internet anyway.) I was a happy DSL customer with TSI for over 10 years and sang their praises. Then I made the mistake of switching to cable internet and the nightmare began. TSI did so many unethical and possibly illegal things over the span of a few months that I cannot recommend them to anyone. Technical issues (and there were lots) are one thing but that experience made every other company I have ever dealt with look like angels.

Then I met a Rogers rep who made me an offer that was cheaper than TSI with a guaranteed price for several years. With Rogers cable internet the technical issues disappeared and I have been with them since. Rogers isn't perfect but they are better to deal with then Bell or TSI. The internet is always faster than promised and uptime is about 99.9%. It wasn't always so but the past several years have been good. The only time I've been without internet are when the modem failed and when some idiot dug up the cable.

·
Registered
645 Posts
@Gentleman :

2. The Rogers Modem/Router is a modem/router, not just a modem. Single purpose modems (like the Surfboard) have not been an option for quite a few years.
Well, that's pitiful. If the device quits, you have no connectivity between internal devices.:rolleyes:

Who was the brilliant one that thought that up?

Personally I like the freedom a TPIA provides and if it wasn't for TPIA's, our broadband internet invoices would be completely unaffordable.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nope. Just a happy Rogers customer (for internet anyway.) I was a happy DSL customer with TSI for over 10 years and sang their praises. Then I made the mistake of switching to cable internet and the nightmare began.
Once again, you are comparing apples to oranges. Making comparisons from the previous decade to today is ludicrous. I would bet if you switched ISP's today, you would sing a different tune.

If Rogers is so wonderful, why is market share of the TPIA's increasing? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Cool to see them in NB. I wish the CRTC would get the fiber wholesale pricing sorted out so TPIAs can use that, though. Would love to get Teksavvy on a fiber line.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
If Rogers is so wonderful, why is market share of the TPIA's increasing?
I can think of several reasons. Expanded service area is an obvious one. TPIAs still have a fairly small market share so increasing it is relatively easy. More people are abandoning BDU TV services and see no need to get internet service from them. The savings gained by switching to a TPIA are often vastly overstated once things like retention offers and bundling discounts are taken into account.

There was a time when I aggressively shopped for the best deal in telecommunications and there are savings to be had. However, I've seen the savings shrink. I've also seen a lot of issues with TPIAs and related services that they offer. The monthly savings for services are often cancelled by increased equipment costs, poor customer support and, inferior or unreliable services. Some TPIAs are so bad they shouldn't even be in business.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts