Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been looking through the forums for posts on tek DSL and slow speeds but can't really find nothing.

I did read Hugh's review on Tek's cable, and oddly enough im experiencing the same thing with DSL.

Its actually not only me, it seems to be our area.

Between 8pm, and 11pm, our ping responses on a speed test hits well over 600ms, downloads of 0.3megs and up of 0.3megs also.

I've had a "support" ticket opened with tek now for 1 months to have the issue fixed/looked into as they state its a BELL issue.

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problems around the province? Just trying to get a clear picture if it is a bell issue in our area in North Bay, or if it happens to all of their customers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm in Deep River. I have Teksavvy dry DSL. I notice things get slow during weekday evenings after supper. I haven't called them up to complain (yet), but at least I know I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Haven't noticed any issues for me..

With DSL, you don't share the link like in cable (though there could be congestion or throttling on bell's backhaul links that feed yours).
So a good test is to check your modem's reported stats during the slowdown periods. This eliminates line interference/degradation as the issue, and shows the problem lies further down the line than between you and the CO.

E.g. my modem syncs at 5056/800 normally.
If at 8pm I notice slower speeds, but my modem is still reporting 5056/800, I know my line is fine, the issue is further back through the chain.

However, if I see my modem is syncing at 768/512 (or whatever), then the issue is line quality forcing the modem to slow down, though the backend may be just fine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, thats good to know its not their service then.

Thanks, i guess ill have to wait till BELL fixes the issue in the area.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You said between 8 and 11, so thought I'd confirm no issues here.
Here's my speedtest now:

That's pretty much max with my QoS on.. can't ever get max of 4.3 as it reserves a chunk.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
im doing ok here on dsl..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Arise.

I've had Teksavvy since last year and have always enjoyed speeds a little above 500kbps but since last week I'm suddenly down to 300kbps or so.
The weird thing is that my upload speed has increased a little(from 0.6 to 0.8). Anybody know what the story is?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Looks like Bell dropped you to the 3meg profile.
Which modem do you have?
Try going into its admin pages and pull up the line stats, similar to these:

Code:
DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair):Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol:G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate:5056 kbps
Upstream Rate:800 kbps
Channel:Fast
Current Noise Margin:23.0 dB (Downstream), 15.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation:30.5 dB (Downstream), 18.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power:19.7 dBm (Downstream), 11.9 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information:Country: {0x0F} Vendor: {ALCB} Specific: {0x00}
PVC Info:0/35
That will determine if it's just a bell slip up and a 2 minute fix, or if you were on a remote and bell dropped you back to CO in favour of another higher paying customer.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Same thing happened to me a couple of times. When Bell works on the line or DSLAM they often reset the profile back to 3Mb/s. Call TSI and they will get the DSL profile updated. With a little luck, you will get 6Mb/s after.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Device Information
Firmware Version:6.0.0 Build 100906 Rel.43560
MAC Address:f4:ec:38:b4:f7:7c
LAN IP Address:192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
DHCP Server:Enabled

WAN
PVC VPI/VCI IP Address Subnet GateWay DNS Server Encapsulation Status
PVC0 1/32 N/A N/A N/A N/A Bridge Up
PVC1 0/33 N/A N/A N/A N/A Bridge Up
PVC2 0/35 184.175.18.138 255.255.255.255 206.248.154.122 206.248.154.22 PPPoE Up
PVC3 0/100 N/A N/A N/A N/A Bridge Up
PVC4 8/35 N/A N/A N/A N/A Bridge Up
PVC5 8/48 N/A N/A N/A N/A Bridge Up
PVC6 0/38 N/A N/A N/A N/A Bridge Up

ADSL

ADSL Firmware Version:FwVer:3.11.2.175_TC3086 HwVer:T14.F7_6.0

Line State:Showtime

Modulation:G.DMT

Annex Mode:ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin:20.0 15.0 db

Line Attenuation:41.5 21.0 db

Data Rate: 3008 800 kbps

Max Rate: 6880 1176 kbps

POWER: 17.5 12.0 dbm

CRC: 0 0
I appreciate the help, here's some info from my router, which is a TP-Link TD-8816.
I will also give them a call in a bit.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Attenuation is a little high, but Max rate suggests you should still be fine with 5meg, 6 if you're lucky.

Its a 2 minute fix - you can post on the teksavvy direct forum instead of calling, if there's a long hold time.
I got a profile bump within an hour of posting when I did it that way a couple weeks back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Uh oh. I was speaking to a dude from Teksavvy for 30min and said he's opening a ticket with Bell and I'm responsible for $80 if nothing is wrong on Bell's end. He did convince me there was something wrong because there was no indication of any status changes no matter if my modem was on or off.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The $80 line is standard quote - it's if they send a tech to your house and there's nothing wrong with the line. If you're asking for a profile change, it's pushing a button on the computer and no tech needs to be sent.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If nothing changed with your home/apartment/condo wiring before the problem occurred, do not worry about the fee it will not be applied.

In my building, Bell has been needing to re-send techs any time somebody else gets new Fibe services because the techs are sloppy and disconnect/adjust other lines that are in their way. Teksavvy had to send a Bell tech and fixed it quite quickly. It was on Bell’s side of the demarc point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bell called and they don't know where my service line or whatever is coming from either. They couldn't even shut it down(to trace the problem) so they're sending somebody out on Sunday.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You might want to try the speedtest connected directly to your modem to rule out your own router just in case.
In the evenings after 5pm my speedtest shows the same result but certain traffic (torrents) are slowed down. I think thats normal throttling by bell.
I'm with Teksavvy 16mbps program. I'm getting close to that but my upload speed didn't improve with the upgrade. I was hoping it would since I went to dryloop and am using Ooma as my home phone now.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Depending on how adventerous you are, you could also run an extension cord out to the demarc and connect your modem and laptop to see what speed is from there. If you get the same low speeds from the demarc you can be assured it's not your problem. Oddly, I just got the upgrade to 16mb and was noticing I was only getting 9mb from speedtest.net. I went out today and connected my modem to the demarc and got 14mb. Then after I was also getting 14mb inside. Can't explain it but by mucking around with it I was able to fix my problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts