Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in my home phone # at the TekSavvy signup page and it indicated service for my area is unavailable. However, my parents, who live in a neighbourhood across the street, on the other side of an overpass, about a 3 minute drive away, are within their service area.

Is there any way I can find out if/when TekSavvy will ever become available where I live? :confused:

I live in a new townhouse development, and along with it received free Rogers services for free for a year. Now the end of that year is fast approaching, and I'm now looking for alternatives for my internet service. Of course, it doesn't help that I received a letter from Rogers today notifying me that as of June, they'll be enforcing download limits (not very attractive numbers, I might add).

· Registered
5,485 Posts
The availability of the service depends on whether or not the switch your phone lines goes to is serviced by them.

Given the way that phones are run it is entirely possible for people across the street from each other to be serviced by different offices.

Your best bet is to ask Teksavvy if they have plans for your number/exchange.

· Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Bandwith throttling I can live with, but the proposed 60gb cap for Roger's "Express" service just won't cut it for me. Quite a big disparity between that and TekSavvy's 200gb cap.

Even Rogers "Extreme Plus" service -which they're offering for $99.95/month- is capped at 95gb.

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
Well if you read between the lines of that thread, I suspect that TekSavvy 200GB may change. Since you are still not at a year, I recommend waiting a month on TS just to see how this situation all pans out.

· Registered
383 Posts
Keep in mind also that to determine if you can get their service, a database is used to find out where the number you entered is located. However, not every phone number is in that database. VoiP numbers, for example, are not usually in that database. Your best bet is to call them directly and ask.

· Banned
6,269 Posts
Teksavvy does not determine availability of your service, the local telephone company (i.e. Bell) does. Teksavvy will provide service to anyone who can get DSL from the local phone company. You are likely too far from the phone company switching office.

Whatever happens, Teksavvy will still provide better service at a better rate than Bell or Rogers. If you can get their service, do so and support independent ISPs oppose Bell on the bandwidth restriction issue.

· Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the info. Bandwith throttling I can live with, but the proposed 60gb cap for Roger's "Express" service just won't cut it for me. Quite a big disparity between that and TekSavvy's 200gb cap.

Even Rogers "Extreme Plus" service -which they're offering for $99.95/month- is capped at 95gb.
I have exactly the same thing in mind as Tezster. I just can't live with 60GB cap for $40+ a month. But I know where I live, the lines are with futureway, which is not bell. and 4 street away from me, the lines are from Bell. I just want to know if I have much options at all. Also futureway is now own by rogers as well, so my cable and phone line are both from Rogers! :(

· Banned
6,269 Posts
As I said, if you can get DSL you can most likely get it from an independent ISP. I can't say if Teksavvy serves your area but they now serve four provinces with DSL. Phone companies are required to sell wholesale DSL, at a fixed rate, to any ISP that wants to resell it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Question: Teksavvy DSL work well in London, Ontario?

Hi,

I'm in London, Ontario and just want to know if speed and everything for DSL from Teksavvy works well. I believe the office for it is located in Chatham, Ontario which seems like a fair distance away and I want to make sure that doesn't lower the quality of the service much.

So does anyone in London, Ontario have experience with Teksavvy?

Edit: I typed in my current phone number and it says the service is not available. How is it possible for some people in London to have service and not myself?

I'm moving to a new place but do not have a phone number/know what my phone number will end up being. How can I find out if the service will be offered at my new house? Really want Teksavvy. Help?

· Registered
7 Posts
That's nice of you to offer but I'm not one to give out information like that to people I don't know/people who aren't part of a company who need the information...thank you though.

I'm assuming to figure it out you were going to call them and ask if that address applied?

· Registered
4 Posts
Sympatico -> Teksavvy ... have some questions.

Hey there, been reading the forums lately, you've got a nice community. I switched from Sympatico to Teksavvy and have a few questions regarding speed and modem. I'm on a 'up to' 7mb connection with Sympatico and was pleased with my speed. Although it was only 5.1mb down, it was sufficient for me. Been a loyal Bell Sympatico customer for a few years now and finally decided to switch because of their terrible customer support and cap'd connection. I wanted to know how Teksavvy's speed compares to Bell Sympatico's and if modems play a key role in speed when it comes to this stuff. I love the 2Wire 2701HG-G wireless modem but unfortunately I'll have to return it back to Bell this weekend. So my question is, what modem do you guys recommend for a Teksavvy customer? I have the option of buying a 2Wire 2700HG-B from someone I know. Is that a good modem? I want to have atleast 5mb (or 600+ kb/s) download rate and I'll be satisfied.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
2700-HG-B is an awesome modem.
It's the one I use currently.
I know it's "up to 7", but Bell's been giving you 6 ;)
(6 works out to 5.1 real world speed)
Since you've been getting 6, you'll get the full 5meg with TSI, if not 6 (Bell sometimes makes a mistake and gives 6)
Definitely buy that modem and hook it up and try it with your sympatico login to make sure it works.
Then once you're signed up with TSI you just change your login and you're done.
The only issue is Bell likes to pull DSL line cards on occasion, even though all the paperwork was in order.
(They pull the card one day, then the next they 'receive the activation paper late', or something along those lines)
Generally, though, it's a smooth transition.
You'll like TSI much better, trust me :p
If you want to use torrents at full speed, you can use MLPPP with either xp login or a WRT54GL (Or old G, v2 or less).
Fixppp.org gives you info on the WRT54GL firmware.

Btw, 5meg is actually ~535kb/s real life speed.
600 is 6meg (which you might get, if bell doesn't pull your line, since it's set at 6meg currently)
They're very sneaky with DSL advertising - they are allowed (I dunno why...) to advertise the modem sync rate - that's the rate the modem connects at. real-world internet speed is slightly less because of the PPP packets used to send the data. (Like envelopes in the mail. You read the letters inside and throw away the envelope)

· Registered
96 Posts
From what I have heard/know, if you have a marginal line with noise and you are far away from a CO or Remote then a good modem can help, such as the Speedtouch modems since you can mess with the settings using the DMT tool.

On Teksavvy you will not get anything higher than a 6MB profile on interleave, 5MB on fastpath. Bell does not give them anything higher. This being DSL there is a lot of variables that determine what kind of speed you will get in the end. Major one is your distance to the CO/Remote, the other is the quality of your phone lines.

Since you say you were on the 7MB profile its a good bet that you are close to a CO/Remote and you should get a full 5MB sync from them IF you get hooked up to the same Remote/CO as you were with Sympatico. There are cases where people would get hooked up to a different remote after switching which is farther away and getting lower speeds as a result. There is also chances that you will be put on the default profile (3MB) and will have to submit a request to have it raised to 5MB if your line supports it.

If you do switch and have issues just be patient with them, they will get it worked out. After all teksavvy has to deal with Bell who dispatches their techs to do the work and the communication on Bells side is not so perfect.

Check out the teksavvy forums on dslreports for more info - they also have a direct forum where you can submit issues directly to teksavvy tech support.

· Registered
2 Posts
Thinking of switching from Rogers to Teksavvy

I thought over the weekend about switching from Rogers to Teksavvy since I have never tried Teksavvy before, how reliable is their internet? For me, Rogers is one of the best around since they now started with a bandwidth cap, I thought about changing my ISP to something cheaper and more bandwidth.

I'm looking somewhere near paying under $30/month and about 200GB bandwidth. I came across Teksavvy and Acanac. But I heard Acanac isn't that good comparing to Teksavvy.

So my question in regards to the switching, how's your experience from Rogers down to Teksavvy? Is Teksavvy reliable? Any down time with it?

I am in Toronto.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.