Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might know, I signed up for the 10 Mbps Teksavvy cable service.

In the process of testing, I have found the service to not be as snappy as expected. I also have Primus DSL service which only delivers 4 Mbps service yet I find the Primus service to be more snappy.

In another thread, I read someone asking about throttling so I decided to test some P2P action.

What I found was pretty bad. When uTorrent started working, performance on Teksavvy was brutal. Not just P2P download but anything. Web pages take much longer to load etc.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed.

Anyone else finding Teksavvy slow?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I wonder if this is something Teksavvy is doing or something being done by their "provider".

Is there any way to narrow down where the slow down is coming from?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, I have P2P runnng (d/l is about 50 kps as well as upload) and webpages are taking forever to load.

edit: Turned uTorrent off and the web pages began serving up much quicker. (although still not at speeds I expected)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's one thing to constrain P2P traffic but web pages also?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't comment on teksavvy, but my Primus has been very slow last few days. I only mention this to say maybe it's not teksavvy, but a larger congestion, perhaps related to our recent big snowstorm.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. Snowstorm has nothing to do with it. It's pretty clear that I can degrade and improve service by doing nothing more than turning on uTorrent. Even with uTorrent off, I find webpages aren't popping up on screen.

I am going to do some further testing this weekend.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I seriously doubt that Teksavvy is the problem. If it was, everyone with Teksavvy would be affected. It's likely due to problems on the Rogers link between the house and Teksavvy's servers. It could also be an overloaded local node. Have you tried calling Teksavvy for a solution?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's only been two or three days and I've been busy so no phone call. I will call next Monday if the problems persist.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hugh - everything seems fine with my service. What are some of the websites that are slow? I can give them a try and see if they seem ok.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any site seems slower than my DSL service, especially with uTorrent running.

This weekend I am going to do a side by side test of my Primus and Teksavvy service with and without uTorrent running so I'll report back then.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Hugh, did you try to a speedtest to see if maybe you are looking at long pings or dropped packets?

Also, is this directly connected to your Surfboard or through any network gear?

·
Registered
833 Posts
FWIW, I just tried downloading with utorrent and grabbed a popular one with 100+ seeders. I'm currently getting 1.1 MB/s download and web pages are still loading reasonably well (it's noticeably slower but utorrent is consuming 2/3 of my total bandwidth so that's to be expected). Pages still load in a few seconds.

Update: My download just finished. A 713 MB torrent took a little over 12 mins to download so it doesn't look like any throttling was going on, at least for me.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
same i haven't experienced throttling either on teksavvy.

I get 1.1 ish via utorrent all the time.

sound like a rogers issue. teksavy will put in a ticket with rogers to test the line if you call them.

EDIT * this is typical of both places ive lived. - six point plaza and now Jane / dundas.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Pages still load in a few seconds.
I'm on Rogers express (10 Mbps down, 0.5 up) and my pages from this DHC forum website usually load in 1-2 seconds. (Rogers does run "Speed Boost", so initial speeds are about 30 Mbps - first couple of seconds, then 20 Mbps for about 10 seconds, then down to 10 for very long downloads. I'm running a Mac G5 that's almost 7 years old.

Hugh, are the two services on two different computers? If so, the computer can affect speed - try swapping the computers/services if that's the case as a test.

When one uses only one computer one gets used to the "pace" that it works, however, if you start using a slower computer, one notices this right away.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same computer. My computer has dual network cards so I can change the metric to change the Internet connection so I should be able to do some testing this weekend.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I came home to a situation a while back where one of my computers was running very slow on it's internet connection. Everything appeared fine however I finally had to reload drivers for the NIC. That completely solved the problem and all computers on the connection were back to the same speed.
Why/how the drivers became corrupted, I will never know. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
pages from this DHC forum website usually load in 1-2 seconds
Pages are loading for me in 1/2 second or less. That's with TSI DSL.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hdtvi, thanks for the thoughts.

I am using Teksavvy on a new NIC so I have updated the drivers. In addition, I will test this weekend through both NIC's to assure myself that its not the network adaptor.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts