Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Service was announced yesterday for Ontario. Sounds like they're available everywhere Rogers cable is available (well will be soon, some places aren't ready. Here's the info from the TekSavvy forums:

R0cky said:
Hey Gang,

We're now ready to go with the Rogers Network. There are still 3 areas not completely done by the folks at Rogers but there's no sense in holding back the other areas while they finish...

So.... We're ready to go!

PRICING:

Lite - 3Meg/256k (25GB).... $27.95
Express - 10Meg/512k (60GB).... $36.95
Extreme - 10Meg/1Meg (95GB).... $42.95

edit: Additional Bandwidth - $3/GB/mo Max $50
Activation fee = $44.95 , save $20 with the purchase of one of our modems
Modem - SB5101N $75.00

Call in to get details and I'll post shortly with the web link!
Interesting that they don't have anything higher than 10Mbit.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Does this mean the maximum cost of Extreme is $50 if you go over the 95GB or does it mean it's $42.95 + $50?

The $3/GB/mo is a little steep.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Activation and overages seem high, but pricing gives those on Rogers retention a strong bargaining chip for contract renewal.

Cetainly gives those on 2nd tier DSL a chance to upgrade data-rates, and some will save dry-loop fees.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It's really only appealing to those that MUST have higher speeds, or are on dry-loop, otherwise, you're better off with your 5mbps on DSL until UBB comes in. (Hopefully never, but I doubt it will be overturned.. stupid CRTC..)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Teksavvy announced much better plans today!

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp#cable

Looks like bell is going to lose a LOT of the money they've been getting off of wholesalers..

For $7 more than most pay now (or the same price if you're on a dry-loop), you can get twice the speed and the same 200gb cap.

10/0.5, 200g - $37
10/1, 200g - $43
10/1, unlimited - $55

I have a feeling bell is going to open up >5mbps to wholesalers in response, unless they're fine with losing all this free money..

Though if they don't stop UBB plans but up speeds, I'd switch anyway.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I would think Rogers Internet is in a similar position with regards to the 200gb caps Teksavvy cable internet is now offering. Pricing is much more tempting now, although the service is still not available in my area (Mississauga): June-August is apparently the availability date.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I would think Rogers Internet is in a similar position with regards to the 200gb caps Teksavvy cable internet is now offering. Pricing is much more tempting now, although the service is still not available in my area (Mississauga): June-August is apparently the availability date.
More importantly, I hope they have plans for the non-Rogers areas of the GTA, since if they're only reselling Rogers product, they're missing a lot of potential customers... like those of us in Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Uxbridge, etc., etc., etc... :confused:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just heard about the new plans on Friday.

I find it nothing short of phenominal that they're offering data parity with their DSL plans, and could drive significant migration from Rogers.

I'm surprised that Rogers would go for this, but doing the math, if they lose the 5-10% of their customers classed as bandwidth hogs, they'll probably more than makeup for that on DSL refugees looking for value-priced faster connections.

I'm still on Rogers retention "contract" but that and hopefully UBB will be resolved by the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm on Teksavvy's ADSL-lite, right now. If Bell goes through with their UBB plan to cut ADSL-lite down to 2 gigs/month (YES!) I've got a decision to make. 2 gigs/month is a ridiculous joke. Assuming Rogers allows the 200 gigs/month to stand, I'll go with Teksavvy's "Lite Cable" offering. Given the choice, I'd much rather have 200 gigs/month at 3 megabits/sec, instead of 60 gigs/month at 5 or 6 megabits/sec.

·
Banned
179 Posts
here is the timetable for installations as posted by Rocky, TS owner.

said by R0CKY :

Here are the locations we're currently working on:

June-August Ballpark:

- Guelph
- Mississauga
- Kitchener
- London
- Ottawa (Richmond Rd Area)
- Ottawa (Fallowfield Area)
- Ottawa (St-Laurent Area)
- Chatham
- Windsor
- Sarnia
- Kingston
- Hamilton
-Vancouver
- Calgary
- Edmonton

August to October Ballpark:

- Richmond Hill
- Markham
- Cambridge
- Newmarket
- Brampton
- Pickering-Ajax
- Oshawa
- Barrie
- Collingwood
- Orillia
- Woodbridge
- Stratford
- Brantford
- Orangeville
- Bolton
- Niagara Falls
- Peterborough
- St. Catharines
- Oakville

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hi
I called Teksavvy today and gave them my postal code M4J (East York, Toronto). They can serve my area with cable internet. I will be moving over soon!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anyone with Teksavy cable in North York?
Today, I typed my postal code on TSI's site and it says cable is not available in my area.
Does that mean that cable service is not available in my area at all? I had Rogers cable TV before 5 years ago it it worked fine. Now I use my over the air antenna to watch TV.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Rocky announced this morning that all 6 POI's of Toronto are up and running.

Hey gang,

Just an update on this.... Toronto proper is now complete. All 6 POIs are now ready for service!

The database should now be updated....

Rocky

·
Registered
24 Posts
teksavvy cable

I am having issues with the business practices of rogers, like many others, and I am leaving them after many years as a loyal customer. I will not got to bell either.

I wanted to know if teksavvy cable is susceptible to rogers throttling. I am assuming that the teksavvy dsl is affected by bell's but correct me if I am wrong.

-g

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Rogers uses various types of traffic shaping on its network so Teksavvy customers would suffer the same fate.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Rogers uses various types of traffic shaping on its network so Teksavvy customers would suffer the same fate.
Apparently, that's NOT the case. I've inquired for Teksavvy cable and learned customers are not impacted by Rogers recent foray into DPI.

gramps416: Even if Rogers was throttling, the compelling reason to switch would be freedom from the draconian caps (for now at least). Teksavvy offers 200GB and unlimited plans on cable, and is NOT impacted by the UBB shenanigans.

1 - 20 of 346 Posts