Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Hugh,

To paraphrase myself, I'm having major speed issues on cable Teksavvy. Torrenting, ping, speedtest, and modem stats all seem to be within proper parameters, but loading pages over the internet is not working. The problem is mostly with content-rich pages such as flash, secure log-ins, etc. As an example it is about 5 minutes to load the Hotmail log-in page, and then actually logging in usually results in a no server response error. Some basic pages load up fine (CBC, usually Google) minus the ads.

Two computers on the network both having the problem, have tried upgrading browsers (Safari and Firefox) and flash plug-in. Checked javascript settings (ok).

I've only got one connection (Teksavvy) at home but using various wireless or ethernet connections at other places (cafés, friends places, work, etc.) everything works fine... so I doubt my computer's settings. Unless I've got something set that interferes with my particular home router or the ISP?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sorry Mohma.

So if it works elsewhere then it seems like your computer, browser etc is fine.

Have you ruled out the router and the encryption?

Have you tried connecting directly to the modem?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Although I'm on Cogeco Cable for internet, similar issues here. Once a download gets going, it's fast. BUT, the problem appears to be DNS lookup timeouts happen consistently to the point of pages not loading. With a number of sites including here, you'll see holes where ads should be and windows showing "Server not found" errors in them. This happens regardless of browser or OS (Win7 x64, Win7 x32 Laptop, XP SP3, and a Linux Live CD all do this).

Those on Teksavvy (sp?) should see if this is of any help.

Cameron

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Hugh. I have plugged directly into the modem and have the same performance issues either way. However, I haven't ruled out encryption (not entirely sure how but that gives me something to Google).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the DNS issue (or the IP issue mentioned in the same thread) does sound like what I might be experiencing. I will try tonight with the openDNS or Google servers and let you know.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A swing and a miss, unfortunately!

I have tried the OpenDNS servers and still have the same problem. I downloaded Chrome and tried that and still no luck. No firewall on and I don't think encryption is the problem although I'm not sure I looked in the right spot. Other connections are ok (filesharing, email)... but most web pages are not loading or are loading very slowly (3-10 minutes to get on here, can't get to speedtest.net, though once the page loaded without the stylesheet).

Any other ideas??

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
If the internet connection is problematic when the laptop is connected directly to the modem, then it certainly sounds like the internet connection. (assuming your laptop is problem free when using other internet connections)

I would test my laptop on an another connection and make sure all is well with Flash pages, hotmail login etc.

Then I would go home and turn off the modem. Connect the laptop to the modem via Ethernet. Start the modem and wait until ALL the lights are green. Then turn on your computer and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts