Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Techsavvy TV

Tags
teksavvy
9K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
Mods sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it.

Techsavvy has launched a limited TV service with partner Hastings Cable on February 1, 2019. I've checked their website, but cannot find pricing information. Not that it matters for me right now as the service isn't being offered in Alberta as of yet.

I am curious if anyone has take the plunge for the TV service. My son has internet and phone (in Alberta) and has said it has been a rock solid service.

Thanks.

#2 ·
TekSavvy Tv

TekSavvy TV is a new IPTV service that is now available to current TekSavvy customers in Chatham-Kent and Ottawa regions.
I like the fact that they use standard, widely available streaming devices instead of proprietary boxes. Other than that there is nothing special about the service. Programming packages are fairly large and well thought out for personal interests. There is no pick and pay option. Got to wonder why it is not being rolled out to other areas.

#3 ·
I like it. When they offer it to Toronto, I will see if I can replace Rogers since the packages in Techsavvy is more flexible than Rogers, and cheaper too.

#4 ·
Looks good.

Would like to know when it becomes available in Middlesex and Elgin. Even though we have plenty of OTA channels, wouldn't mind a 6 month trial to see what it's like.

Is there an email notification service for availability in other areas?

#6 ·
Just reviewed the pricing against my current Rogers TV, Internet, Homephone. While Techsavvy TV packages are cheaper, but there is no PVR function if I use iPhone/iPad, AppleTV, etc. Internet of 150/15 unlimited is $23 more than Rogers. Do they offer bundle pricing with TV and internet?

#10 ·
TekSavvy TV Launching across Ontario

TekSavvy Solutions announced the launch of its IPTV service, TekSavvy TV, across the province of Ontario today. TekSavvy TV will offer customers over 115 HD channels of sports, movies, series, and kids programming including video-on-demand content from selected television channels.

Customers across Ontario who wish to order can sign up through TekSavvy's MyAccount portal at myaccount.teksavvy.com. TekSavvy TV is currently available as an app for Apple TV, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV devices. Customers can start with TekSavvy TV Basic at $20.00 per month and then add additional theme packages ranging in price from $6.00 to $20.00 per month to gain access to more live sports, premium series, and blockbuster movies. TekSavvy TV requires a TekSavvy residential Internet subscription with a minimum download speed of 15 Mbps and unlimited data.

#13 · (Edited)
I think that IPTV that TekSavvy offers is the best option for people who need only handful of their favourite channels.
This is the best price in my opinion. I am just not sure how reliable is their service as most of Canadian third party IPTV services are all garbage when it comes to providing good quality, reliable service.

#16 ·
TekSavvy TV launched Cloud PVR starting at $10.00 per month for 50 hours of recording time or $15.00 for 100 hours.

TekSavvy also announced Restart that allows customers to watch shows in progress from the beginning and Look-Back that allows customers to go back up to 30 hours in the guide and select shows that have previously aired and watch them in their entirety. Look-Back and Restart are available on selected content and channels to which the customer subscribes and are available at no additional charge.

Full Press Release

#18 ·
Just compared my Fibe tv service to what Teksavvy offers and it seems that if I wanted to have the same channels as I have with Bell fibe it would almost cost me twice as much with Teksavvy.
Considering that it is not even close to quality or options to what Bell fibe offers it is not something that I would consider for now.
Would only consider it if Bell decided to increase price drastically and then I would order just news channels with basic tv.

#21 ·
Decided to order up TeksavvyTV for an evaluation trial, since Rogers completely ignores cable customer complaints over quality issues.

It will be an interesting comparison as I will use my OTA system as the standard (where you can still get a 19.5Mbs HD picture),
versus Rogers much less bitrates and Teksavvy's (bitrates TBD).

#24 ·
Decided to order up TeksavvyTV for an evaluation trial, since Rogers completely ignores cable customer complaints over quality issues.
Except for local stations, most satellite and cable companies use the same feeds so quality is going to be very similar. The main wholesale TV providers are Shaw and Bell. Both provide poor quality feeds. They are usually provided via satellite which is typically compressed more than cable. Bell uses 720p for all their HD channels, even those that broadcast 1080i over OTA or cable, and their bit rates on most channels have been sub-10Mbps for over a decade. In addition, all of Bell's US channels are simsubbed, even when not required, so there is no escape from bad simsubs. Shaw has technical issues with their HD feeds and always has. A number of Rogers station feeds appear to be provided by Shaw and suffer from technical issues endemic to Shaw's system. Shaw is probably the worst broadcaster in Canada for ignoring customer concerns.

From the TSI website, "*TekSavvy TV service is provided by TekSavvy’s broadcasting distribution affiliate, Hastings Cable Vision." Hastings Cable Vision is a very small cable service that serves Madoc county, about half way between Toronto and Ottawa. It doesn't have the resources or location to offer anything significantly better than other cable companies. You may just end up with overly compressed satellite feeds for most channels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.