Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Decided to order up TeksavvyTV for an evaluation trial, since Rogers completely ignores cable customer complaints over quality issues.

It will be an interesting comparison as I will use my OTA system as the standard (where you can still get a 19.5Mbs HD picture),
versus Rogers much less bitrates and Teksavvy's (bitrates TBD).

Decided to order up TeksavvyTV for an evaluation trial, since Rogers completely ignores cable customer complaints over quality issues.
Except for local stations, most satellite and cable companies use the same feeds so quality is going to be very similar. The main wholesale TV providers are Shaw and Bell. Both provide poor quality feeds. They are usually provided via satellite which is typically compressed more than cable. Bell uses 720p for all their HD channels, even those that broadcast 1080i over OTA or cable, and their bit rates on most channels have been sub-10Mbps for over a decade. In addition, all of Bell's US channels are simsubbed, even when not required, so there is no escape from bad simsubs. Shaw has technical issues with their HD feeds and always has. A number of Rogers station feeds appear to be provided by Shaw and suffer from technical issues endemic to Shaw's system. Shaw is probably the worst broadcaster in Canada for ignoring customer concerns.

From the TSI website, "*TekSavvy TV service is provided by TekSavvy’s broadcasting distribution affiliate, Hastings Cable Vision." Hastings Cable Vision is a very small cable service that serves Madoc county, about half way between Toronto and Ottawa. It doesn't have the resources or location to offer anything significantly better than other cable companies. You may just end up with overly compressed satellite feeds for most channels.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.