Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
516 Posts
I'm quite happy with my 16MP full-frame sensor on my 1Ds MkII. Love it. Nice & crisp. Buttery Smooth DOF. Useable ISO6400 would be handy once or twice a year but, for the most part, the only issue (aside from carrying a 10lb brick) is the itsy bitsy Digital Rebel sized LCD.

I agree - no more resolution. I can crop a 4x6 out of 12% of my sensor area at 100% quality at the native resolution of my photo printer. I don't do fine art prints and if I did the new Pentax would be a killer.

Less weight, more sensitive sensor and a higher bit depth would be nice.

What I really want s a G12 sized body that is a rangefinder/EVF with a Leica Screw Mount lens so I can put some of my 50's & 60's glass on a modern sensor.

· Registered
516 Posts
My question is when do bayer based sensors run out of steam.

As a semiconductor guy I think the Foveon (now Sigma) approach has a lot of merit because the light capturing area is inherently much larger and there is no need for micro-lenses AFAIK.
The Bayer approach is dying as I see it. It's essentially a hack. The first manufacturer to come up with a large sensor at a reasonable price will get big market share.

I get comments all the time about how my photos look so nice. Most of the time it comes down to when doing portraiture having a full-frame DSLR with bright lenses I can melt the background.

You just can't do that with a P&S with a sensor that is 1/4"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.