Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
This issue is $$$ TCM doesn't want to pay for the HD rights to certain movies to other Canadian holders to which they don't have the rights to ion Canada PLAN & SIMPLE.

Its not just on SD that there blacked out. Bell FIBE & TV, Rogers and the others have it Black out as well. So if you really want to see the movie watch it in SD? If not OH Well you SOL.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I have access to the U.S. feed through slingbox. When their is a blackout on the HD channel the SD Canadian feed is airing a different movie than what's on the U.S. SD feed. The HD feed is the American feed being blacked out because they don't provide a Canadian HD feed with a different movie on it. This could change at some point

·
Registered
971 Posts
This happens quite frequently, and is a rights issue, where TCM does not have the rights to carry the HD movie in Canada. My understanding is that the TCM SD is a feed designed for Canadian audiences, with alternative programming airing instead of the movie for which there are no Canadian rights. The HD version is strictly a US based feed, hence it is necessary to black out any programming that does not have rights to be carried in Canada

·
Registered
195 Posts
Local Blackout in Effect

Last week I attempted to record several movies on Channel 1248 - TCMHD.
Two of them recorded the full time a blue screen saying "Local Blackout in Effect". Others recorded just fine.

The two that screwed up were:
An American in Paris on Monday, 4 Nov 7:00 pm
The Last Time I Saw Paris Sunday, 3 Nov 11:00 am.

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Dave S.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks, 57. I had no idea that this was not an MTS problem.

If the law requires that a given movie be blacked out, then it should be marked as such in the guide. Then a person could actually program their PVR to record something else (such as the same movie on an SD channel).

Dave S.

·
Super Moderator
56,401 Posts
You need to contact MTS about this since most providers do show proper blackouts in their IPGs for TCMHD. This has been going on for 4 years - per this thread, although MTS may not have had TCMHD for that long...

·
Registered
195 Posts
OK, I just emailed MTS with my complaint about the blackout, plus the lack of notice in the program guide that it will be blacked out.

Dave S.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts