Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
While it's true that they originally showed all up-converts due to lack of HD infrastructure, TCM HD in the U.S. began incorporating true HD screenings into the mix last October, starting with "Night of the Hunter" and "Downhill Racer".

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
^^^^
Perhaps someone said "Play it again Sam". ;-)

(yes, I know that's not the correct quote)

·
Registered
5 Posts
There still doing it...

There still doing it...
May 22 2010:

They're supposed to play:

6:00 PM Never Cry Wolf (1983)
A government researcher fights to survive when he's marooned in the Canadian wilderness. Cast: Charles Martin Smith, Brian Dennehy, Zachary Ittimangnaq. Dir: Carroll Ballard. C-105 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

Playing on TCM SD No Leave No Love 1946

I guess I can't watch a canada movie in canada...lol :mad:

·
Registered
436 Posts
The fact that TCM is running something different in Canada than the US isn't particularly surprising, I think it's the fact that they're running something in SD and blacking out HD that's counter-intuitive and leads to this coming up so often.

It's not entirely clear to me from the thread, do they both black out the HD and run the SD-same-as-US, AND other times black out the HD and run a substitute SD-different-from-US?

BTW, I notice Bell now offers TCM on 292 (and HD on on some other channel). I thought it was exclusive to Rogers, is that a recent change?

Thanks!

=aw

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks, it's interesting the Wikipedia article mentions Shaw and Rogers but not Bell. Do you (or anyone) know what month Bell added it?

Thanks!
=aw

·
Registered
106 Posts
TCM-HD

You people on Rogers and Bell are lucky to have the choice of TCM in HD even if it is sometimes blacked out! I would much prefer it to the useless AMC-HD SHAW gives us, if i want to watch edited movies i would just watch US network TV. I am sure the kinks will be worked out soon with the blackouts, and i hope that SHAW CABLE soon gives us this choice!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thelma Todd TCM - not in Canada

The entire day is made up of replacement movies in SD and blackouts in HD. Tuesday Aug 30th starting at 5AM. Day was highly anticipated in the U.S. Too Bad for us.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I guess today must be "24 hours, or more of blackouts day" on TCM HD. Since early last evening, and continuing for all of today, until midnight, all programming is blacked out on this channel. I am not sure if this is just a Bell thing, or if it affecting all TCM HD programming in Canada carried by all providers. It does seem puzzling to me, since at other times, days can go by without a single blackout.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Apparently there's a rights issue with all Hal Roach films that's at the root of this.
TCM.com's Canadian schedule and even the "up next" ads on TCM were advertising Little Rascals, etc (all movies from Hal Roach Studios), but the Rogers OSG was showing Abbott and Costello movies on regular TCM and blackout on TCM HD. The Abbott and Costello movies were in fact broadcast, so it looks like they don't have any Canadian rights for Hal Roach movies.

I also noticed that the "Blackout in Effect" tags for TCM HD on the OSG last night must have been done at the last minute. The movies were listed a few days ago when I set them up to record.

·
Super Moderator
56,804 Posts
If you've noticed with TCM, they often air movies in packs of themes such as certain actors, directors, etc. So it's not unheard of to have several movies in a row blacked out. If it was a successful individual, then there would be a lot of them... This, of course, affects all Canadian providers.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Today is yet another "24 days of blackouts" on TCM HD, the third in as many weeks. I have to admit that this is getting very irritating, and the fact that these blackouts are getting more and more frequent all the time is not a good sign. I wonder why TCM has not secured the rights for so much of their programming in Canada?

41 - 60 of 91 Posts