Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to take ownership and grant permissions to myself in order to modify a .xml file in notepad. I took ownership and I appear to have full permissions for the file now, yet whenever I try to save the file and replace the existing one, it says "Access Denied" still.

Am I missing something?

This is in Windows 7 btw.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the weird part.

It was read-only, and I unchecked that box, and it wouldn't stay unchecked. As soon as I clicked on properties it would be checked again. However, randomly I opened it a day later and the box was unchecked.

So right now I'm pretty sure it's not read-only. If I saved it as a slightly different file name, then deleted the original and renamed the new one to the old file name - would that work? (Assuming I can even delete the original)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seemed to have managed to get it to work, through repeatedly changing the permissions and ownership to myself and making sure the read-only is unchecked. For some reason it wouldn't save all 3 (ownership, permissions and no read-only). One would always seem to default back to what it was as soon as I re-opened the properties. Maybe I did have a program that utilizes the file open and didn't realize it or something.

Thanks for your help and quick replies guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts